Typhon Rear drive shafts rubbing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmAh

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
  2. Typhon 3s
Anyone notice how the ends of the rear drive shaft rubs against the A-arms? I took apart the car to replace bearings and noticed how scuffed up the ends of the rear drive shafts were. I figured it was caused from the terrain I drove on before but after I put on the new drive shafts (I stripped the screw taking out the wheel axle) and turned the shafts to test, there was some resistance. The higher part of the shafts were touching the a arms.
Picture shows the old drive shaft with damage and new drive shafts on, circling where it rubs when it spins.

I'm guessing I could play with the camber to push it further away from the a arm where its touching..but there isn't that much play. A degree at most and i definitely don't want to have it over adjusted. Camber setting is stock btw.

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_211404~2.jpg
    IMG_20200521_211404~2.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
that is two different ends of the shafts no? the old one your showing has the stub for the diff in it..so that is the inboard joint?

im looking at my typhon now and they aren't close to the hub at all.. seems like plenty of room on my rig for some reason.. thats interesting yours is rubbing, the bearings are good?

Ya, they are the exact same part. Bearings are flush and this is the first time taking it apart. So I know I didn't cause the original damage by assembling it wrong. Would you be able to take a pic and show me how much room yours has?

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_225753.jpg
    IMG_20200521_225753.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 64
looks the same as your pic you just posted.. where is it rubbing im not seeing it now?
so in the original picture the old axle had the threaded portion snapped off?

looks the same as your pic you just posted.. where is it rubbing im not seeing it now?
so in the original picture the old axle had the threaded portion snapped off?
I swapped out the axles to fit the HR hex extenders. so that's why the shaft ends look different.
I'm 100% I have the correct part since I matched it up with the original.
Here's another pic, hopefully better angle.

Attachments

• IMG_20200521_231529~2.jpg
    IMG_20200521_231529~2.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 64
I swapped out the axles to fit the HR hex extenders. so that's why the shaft ends look different.
Your arms are mounted backwards ?. Swap left & right arms and it will be fixed. You want that grooved side facing up, it gives the axle the clearance it needs.

Attachments

• 20200521_232148.jpg
    20200521_232148.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 71
It's hard to see since the part is mangled, but I guess you put the front driveshaft in the rear.

the front/rear are different, the fronts are marked with "A" on the axle side, and "D" on the diff side, while the rear are marked with dots.
Another pic. They are the same part. I know I didn't swap them by accident cuz I kept the rears assembled until I reassembled the fronts. What's odd is the originals shafts seem to have been rubbing all along.
Your arms are mounted backwards ?
Omg!!! That notch!!!! Makes sense now. While trying to save face..... It doesn't explain why the original shafts were so mangled at that same spot.... Unless the manufacturer did it like that by mistake.
Thanks a bunch man! It was killing me trying t figure it out!!! Love this forum!

Last edited:
Another pic. They are the same part. I know I didn't swap them by accident cuz I kept the rears assembled until I reassembled the fronts. What's odd is the originals shafts seem to have been rubbing all along.

Omg!!! That notch!!!! Makes sense now. While trying to save face..... It doesn't explain why the original shafts were so mangled at that same spot.... Unless the manufacturer did it like that by mistake.
Thanks a bunch man! It was killing me trying t figure it out!!! Love this forum!
The kid on China gave no effs the day he built your truck ?

Also if/when you upgrade to RPM arms have no worries... The arms are left/right agnostic and doesn't matter except front/back.

The kid on China gave no effs the day he built your truck ?

Also if/when you upgrade to RPM arms have no worries... The arms are left/right agnostic and doesn't matter except front/back.
Ya i got impatient. The rear RPM arms are last to be delivered but since i had everything in already.. i figured run it with the stock rear arms.

yes i see it now, @suchtragedy got you sorted..?... the original shafts were probably just worn from debris getting trapped between the arm cutout and the axle..✌

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back