Recommendations .... a 150-170 mm 17 hex MT tire with stiff sidewalls ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Kid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Just recently purchased a set of ARRMA dboots Backflip LP's due to the many great reviews. Just two 4S batteries of track basher racing with the 6S Kraton and the tires are getting thrashed on the glue bead areas !!!! Obviously sidewalls are rolling over leaving the edge of rim/s to contact the track surface while hard corning. The tires have great grip and handle well, but there service life is looking really short !!!

What or Who's tires in a modest diameter monster truck size & width can work on a track w/o wanting or trending to roll off the rim :mad:

6s Backflips? The problem is LP tires are designed for trucks considerably lighter than a Kraton 6s.

Just recently purchased a set of ARRMA dboots Backflip LP's due to the many great reviews. Just two 4S batteries of track basher racing with the 6S Kraton and the tires are getting thrashed on the glue bead areas !!!! Obviously sidewalls are rolling over leaving the edge of rim/s to contact the track surface while hard corning. The tires have great grip and handle well, but there service life is looking really short !!!

What or Who's tires in a modest diameter monster truck size & width can work on a track w/o wanting or trending to roll off the rim :mad:
I hear ya, my bro and I are always shredding sidewalls on our rigs. I haven't come up with much for alternatives myself. It's much worses on 6s, but yeah, I wish someone made a tougher tire too. We've learned to slow down before pitching them into the turns at speed, helps, but not nearly as much fun of course. We run mostly truggy race tires on our clay track. About 5 to 5.5" tall seems to be the sweet spot for ground clearance and good handling, 6" or taller handles like poo. We have used the TRX response Pro 3.8 with good results, they're about 5.75" tall. Downsides are TRX only offers them on .5 offset wheels, or loose with foams, but then, no one makes 3.8 wheels aside from Arrma and TRX anymore. Arrma uses a different bead type than TRX I believe..All the truggy race stuff is 4.0" nowadays.

Truggy track wheelset with closed cell foam inserts? Closed cell inserts are pretty stiff.

Back