Vorteks Recommended servo upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie-arrma

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Hi,

After the first 6 months of fairly solid use, the servo on my son’s Vorteks has stopped working (throttle and brakes still operate).

Can anyone in the know, offer suggestions for a decent upgraded servo replacement from the standard factory-fitted servo?

Thanks!

Welcome and Merry Christmas! You will also need to change the servo saver to a 25T, the stock one is a 23T. It is listed below that servo on the amazon Page. One more thing if you have AVC you might need to rebind the radio to make it work right..

Welcome to the forum. It’s hard to beat the DSS/Zoskay servos for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/ZOSKAY-Coreless-Digital-Stainless-arduino/dp/B07SBYZ4G5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3OBOZIM8USPXT&keywords=Servo&qid=1703594956&sprefix=servo,aps,113&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1
Obviously there are other options with more precise operation and centering abilities, but if it’s just for bashing they tend to be long lasting, rugged servos.
Thanks so much for the advice Dan B.! I will check this servo out on Amazon. You mentioned that there are others with more precise operation and centering capabilities. Do you know how this servo compares with the precision and centering capabilities of the stock-standard servo on the car?

Ok, understood! No point getting the 270 if the average arc of movement on a RC car is 120 (or so I am led to believe!)
Yes, but don’t forget to set your steering endpoints after you change the servo!

270 or 180 degree variant absolutely does not matter. 180 is the normal type found, just more commonly found, going with that. This has been discussed on AF many times.
Average servo sweep angle, once ST EPA adjustments are all said and done, is barely even 60 degrees. You always dial out most of the sweep anyway. With most any surface RC Steering servo. 180 or 270 DOES Not matter. Not dumb buying either.
If you cant swallow that, you simply don't understand servos well enough.:cool: And especially need to understand why you always set your ST EPA.
Most are 180. But when I found a 270 DS3235 type for less money, I snatched it up. Same poop different day that's all.

>>>Most servos are not marketed strictly for our Surface RC's Steering, they are used for Robotics, Heli's, Throttle servos for Nitro cars, etc. So these applications all have different sweep angle requirements and EPA settings. They even make 360 deg servos and full continuous rotation ones.

Little known secret:
Most servos never even give the full Claimed sweep angle. 180's usually are not even fully 110 or 120 max when measured.
Don't believe this, its easy to verify this for yourself. By all means, don't take my word for it.:giggle:

Last edited:
Welcome and Merry Christmas! You will also need to change the servo saver to a 25T, the stock one is a 23T. It is listed below that servo on the amazon Page. One more thing if you have AVC you might need to rebind the radio to make it work right..
Thanks for the tip!

Or, if you want to save some money.....Grab an S652. (Arrma 6S servo) No need to change the servo arm. All three of my 3S vehicles have been swapped. No regrets. Never burned up the originals but, I also took the time to set the end points. The S651's are now spares for the grandkids.

The Zoskays are great from what I've heard. But, probably not necessary if you just did this:

Understand you're probably in Australia and ordering from Jenny's would be expensive. Maybe you have a LHS that carries Arrma. Or Amazon.Take the time to set your end points. You'll go through a lot less servos.

270 or 180 degree variant absolutely does not matter. 180 is the normal type found, just more commonly found, going with that. This has been discussed on AF many times.
Average servo sweep angle, once ST EPA adjustments are all said and done, is barely even 60 degrees. You always dial out most of the sweep anyway. With most any surface RC Steering servo. 180 or 270 DOES Not matter. Not dumb buying either.
If you cant swallow that, you simply don't understand servos well enough.:cool: And especially need to understand why you always set your ST EPA.
Most are 180. But when I found a 270 DS3235 type for less money, I snatched it up. Same poop different day that's all.

>>>Most servos are not marketed strictly for our Surface RC's Steering, they are used for Robotics, Heli's, Throttle servos for Nitro cars, etc. So these applications all have different sweep angle requirements and EPA settings. They even make 360 deg servos and full continuous rotation ones.

Little known secret:
Most servos never even give the full Claimed sweep angle. 180's usually are not even fully 110 or 120 max when measured.
Don't believe this, its easy to verify this for yourself. By all means, don't take my word for it.:giggle:
Wow, you certainly know a lot about servos! I think on reflection, and considering all the really helpful advice I am getting from all who have relied to this thread, I will upgrade to a slightly more powerful servo (13kg/cm) vs the current Spektrum S651 7kg servo and have it replaced by the local RC shop and watch how they do it this time so that I know how to do it in future. I can’t really even see where the receiver is on the Arrma Vorteks, to even begin replacing the servo myself and I’m worried that taking it all apart may mean I inadvertently screw something else up.

Baby steps. Tell your LHS you want to learn. If they are a decent shop they will take the time and teach you. But remember, you learn by taking apart yourself. Take pix as you go, for reference, to help you in the beginning. It all becomes muscle memory at some point. Don't be afraid to break or ruin anything. These are Hobby grade toys meant to be wrenched on. And they are designed to work on. Just invest in some decent hand Hex drivers, don't use "L" allen wrenches. I would definitely buy a 35 KG servo for your Vorteks. Don't let anyone tell you any less stronger is best. These are basher rigs that get abused hard. And you don't need the most expensive servo out there. Makes no sense spending $75. or more for a 35 kg servo at all. I would stay away from a Spektrum replacement servo, myself, no matter the price.
I use AMZ DS3235 35 kg servos. Only $34.00.... in all my 6s rigs. And many here run them in their Vorteks and similar 4x4 line Arrma models. A "standard size" servo that fits most any model out there. A strong servo will make it drive and steer so much better. Like night and day better than the stock servo.
At the VERY very minimum, a 25 kg servo is warranted in your Vorteks. 6 or 13 kg?... don't even bother. Trust me.

>>> When replacing any servo, setting up the Steering EPA adjustment at the Radio is important to understand and do properly. Most critical. Have your LHS explain that part. If not done properly, can ruin any servo. Your Radio's manual explains it best . Many radio's do it slightly differently. But is the same concept with any RC servo.

Edited.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back