Regarding Horizon Hobby "discontinued models" status ,my thoughts..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex Koder

2D , 3D Not a problem. I'll take that Challenge.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Nero
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vendetta
So I was at my LHS the other day.. looking to pickup some EXB front bumpers for my Dumpster Fire and other projects..

They didn't have any in stock and was suggesting that I go order some from Amain.. if I needed them in a hurry.
I told them I rather spend my money with them and to just backorder some for me...

When the guy went into the system to add my order.. He stated that "HH's system was down again.."

So I cracked a joke about someone over there in their IT department must have forgotten to 'update a software patch or some sort"...

This basically launch the guy into a rant about how HH is currently in the process of doing a major overhaul/system upgrade..
For BOTH their Network Hardware AND Backend Software at the SAME time!! 🤯
Not a wise move with mission critical systems..

So, this may be the cause of all the "discontinued" status of their models because their System is probably having lots of issues with the new upgrades and can't seem to get their inventory/supply-chain in sync... At the moment.

If hobby shops can't reliably access the system to place fulfillment orders or customers' backorders.. Then I can imagine why HH is putting everything in a "place holder pattern" -on their frontend website ,til they get their network fixed/straightened out.

Just my thoughts based on what the guy is telling me on what's going on behind the scenes at HH.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems most are willing to accept those reasons stated. LHS's and all. A benign excuse works sometimes.
To show a backorder truly hurts HH revenue if in fact the inventory is actually there, or somewhere....
I still stand with my assertion that there are other Logistical issues, that we are not Privy to. I am hoping they have changed their outsourcing from China to elswhere. This would explain much.
HH is in damage control at best. At worst they have restructuring issues right now. IT revamping may be be part of it. But just doesn't tell the whole story, IMHO.
HH is taking way too long to get their act together. Whatever the problem truly is, it is still a big problem for them. Managing it poorly IMHO.
Right now their bottom line is struggling because of this. Wouldn't you think so?:cool:
It's possible that HH simply bit off more than they can chew.

Edit.

When the LHS's start having Inventory issues, and not just at HH's sites, with the HH kits themselves, then, you know there is a "big problem".

Last edited:
Yeah it seems most are willing to accept those reasons stated. LHS's and all. A benign excuse works sometimes.
To show a backorder truly hurts HH revenue if in fact the inventory is actually there, or somewhere....
I still stand with my assertion that there are other Logistical issues, that we are not Privy to. I am hoping they have changed their outsourcing from China to elswhere. This would explain much.

HH is in damage control at best. At worst they have restructuring issues right now. IT revamping may be be part of it. But just doesn't tell the whole story, IMHO.
HH is taking way too long to get their act together. Whatever the problem truly is, it is still a big problem for them. Managing it poorly IMHO.
Right now their bottom line is struggling because of this. Wouldn't you think so?:cool:

The guy who was ranting is an older gentleman.. He mentioned how he knew the original company and some of the folks who worked at Tower Hobbies back in Champaign, Ill.
Where they ran the company from a large warehouse in a massive cornfield... And eventually expanded into another large warehouse within hear shot of each other ,in the opposite cornfield...
He stated that there was some dumb people working there that ran the place...

He had a bit more to say about things going on.. You get the point. 🤣

Yeah I was actually told this by my LHS as well. The system is completely screwed up for them at the moment like you said. I don't remember the details of the issues they were having but I believe it was regarding getting more stock. Sad because I enjoy spending my money there too, would hate to see them close their doors

I definitely believe it as I've went through some problems myself. I ordered mx43's during the proline sale few weeks ago and not only did it take 2 weeks before they shipped them but their system upgrade actually REMOVED my apt number from the order. Showed up in the email and on my order page etc etc but the actual shipping label had no apt number on it and my tires got sent to a random apt in my complex.

After the wifey and I played sherlock holmes and checked doors until we found the one in the picture I contacted them and told them I never got the package because f that. Ended up with 2 sets of mx43 because of it but yea. They really are going through system problems right now. Hell Someone from here just got an outcast roller for free too and that was probably also due to the system upgrade.

So I was at my LHS the other day.. looking to pickup some EXB front bumpers for my Dumpster Fire and other projects..

They didn't have any in stock and was suggesting that I go order some from Amain.. if I needed them in a hurry.
I told them I rather spend my money with them and to just backorder some for me...

When the guy went into the system to add my order.. He stated that "HH's system was down again.."

So I cracked a joke about someone over there in their IT department must have forgotten to 'update a software patch or some sort"...

This basically launch the guy into a rant about how HH is currently in the process of doing a major overhaul/system upgrade..
For BOTH their Network Hardware AND Backend Software at the SAME time!! 🤯
Not a wise move with mission critical systems..

So, this may be the cause of all the "discontinued" status of their models because their System is probably having lots of issues with the new upgrades and can't seem to get their inventory/supply-chain in sync... At the moment.

If hobby shops can't reliably access the system to place fulfillment orders or customers' backorders.. Then I can imagine why HH is putting everything in a "place holder pattern" -on their frontend website ,til they get there network fixed/straightened out.

Just my thoughts based on what the guy is telling me on what's going on behind the scenes at HH.
My hobbyshop received my order... 7 week after i pased it. Usdualy takes a week or two. What kind of major thing are they preparing to require such a massive upgrade of their servers?

FB_IMG_1693591378270.jpg

FB_IMG_1693591374240.jpg

Edit.

When the LHS's start having Inventory issues, and not just at HH's sites, with the HH kits themselves, then, you know there is a "big problem".
My local hobbyshop just received 7 weeks late people's orders. But received the EXB RTR 8s last week
Yeah I was actually told this by my LHS as well. The system is completely screwed up for them at the moment like you said. I don't remember the details of the issues they were having but I believe it was regarding getting more stock. Sad because I enjoy spending my money there too, would hate to see them close their doors
I got told the same

So basically the guy (I'll keep him un-named due to the respect I have for him. I like the guy and don't want to see him get into any trouble or loose his job.)

(Cliff notes version of his story)
He was saying that the "smart/good folks" have had enough from the others at Tower Hobbies ,so they left TH and started Hobbico..

Years later Horizon Hobbies acquired Hobbico But also hired a bunch of the original dumb folks from Tower Hobbies...
So now that's how we all ended up where we are...

That's how he explained it to me...
I didn't make this stuff up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back