Reusing planetary and satellite gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QLynxer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Granite
  3. Mojave
  4. Outcast 6s
So I have a bag of broken diffs. Mostly from the plastic diff case failing. Is it ok to just buy arrma metal diff case and reuse the gears?

I checked out gears and nothing wrong visually but they did require a lot of shims to get them tight.

I ended using mugen e0206 shim kit.
Used two of the larger shins behind each of the planetary gears and then a total of 10shims on the cross bars.

Is this ok to use this many shims? Should just spend the $12 and buy new diff rebuild kit?

Usually it's the crown gear and input gear that gets well chewed/mangled.. the internal diff gears are fine & can be reused.

The genetic aluminum diff cases usually won't include** the internal planetary gears & the outdrives.

1686245623282.png

1686245804456.png

1686245843415.png

1686245862839.png

** Ask me how I know.

Thanks brother.

I used the official arrma metal diff case and it doesn’t include any gears with it.

Upgraded to m2c out drives and cut my own pins out of drill bits too.
Let’s see how she holds up.

Thanks brother.

I used the official arrma metal diff case and it doesn’t include any gears with it.

Upgraded to m2c out drives and cut my own pins out of drill bits too.
Let’s see how she holds up.

I made pins from bits before and I had an issue with them shearing off. Tempered a bit to much. If I do that now ill heat them up with a mini torch and let cool naturally a couple times and that softens them a bit, makes them withstand shock a little more.
Just my experience 😁

I made pins from bits before and I had an issue with them shearing off. Tempered a bit to much. If I do that now ill heat them up with a mini torch and let cool naturally a couple times and that softens them a bit, makes them withstand shock a little more.
Just my experience 😁
Thanks for the advice. I actually noticed they got really hot while I was cutting em with the dremel. I wondered to myself if it might be actually softening their temper.
I’ll take your advice and run them through a few heat cycles to take more temper out.

Thanks for the advice. I actually noticed they got really hot while I was cutting em with the dremel. I wondered to myself if it might be actually softening their temper.
I’ll take your advice and run them through a few heat cycles to take more temper out.

Your on it man! Drills break like glass when fully tempered. Not a desirable trait for what we are doing. No problem, just wanted to mention it incase you'd run into the issue or weren't aware of a fix 😉

Your on it man! Drills break like glass when fully tempered. Not a desirable trait for what we are doing. No problem, just wanted to mention it incase you'd run into the issue or weren't aware of a fix 😉
Man everything l know about tempering and metallurgy, I learned from watching Forged in Fire on history channel.

It’s a competition where they literally make edge weapons out of just random scraps of metal.

I
Man everything l know about tempering and metallurgy, I learned from watching Forged in Fire on history channel.

It’s a competition where they literally make edge weapons out of just random scraps of metal.

🤣 There ya go!

I used to make a good living workin steel... but
I am a steel junkie, a certified knife nut.. love everything to do with workin metal and creating things. Its another hobby of mine. Lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back