Granite Same steering issues with 3 different trucks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bme107

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Senton 6s
We have a Senton Mega, a Granite Mega and a Granite 3s. All 2018-2019 era. Last used in early 2021 and running fine when they were shelved, fully disconnnected from power. Batteries removed from controlers too. I charged them up this week and decided to give them a run.

All 3 of them turned on fine but the steering servos seems to be convulsing on all of them.
1. Ganite Mega runs forward and back but has no steering. Every few twists of the wheel and it partially turns then becomes unresponsive again. Holding it up off the ground the servo seems to be jittering back and forth.
2. Granite 3s exact same thing.
3. Senton started out with the exact same issues as both of the other trucks. After a good 2 minutes of slowly driving back and forth in the basement rowing the controler steering back and forth it seems to have "freed up". It now steers fine but when you pick it up the servo jitters back and forth on it's own.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Is there some sort reset procedure that I could do. Is something not pared between the controllers and the receivers? If it was just one truck I'd chaulk it up to a bad steering servo, but all 3? And one truck partially improves with use......I'm at a loss.

Since it's been 2 years in storage..
Best to do a steering endpoints recalibration on all of them.

And, Fresh batteries in the transmitter, yes?

Storage is what killed them.. humidity/ condensation wiped them out.. or they were used in wet conditions in the last use..

You will most likely need to replace the servo's, and hopefully not the receiver's as well.. check the plugs at the Rx and see if any corrosion exists..

How they were stored plays a huge roll.. in a garage, attic, any place that goes hot to cold, or high in humidity can result in what you see..

Yes, fresh AA in the radios. In fact the same set. Worked in the last truck but not the first.
Endpoints calibration? Can you point me to directions on that?

We never ran the trucks in the wet. They were stored in our furnished climate controled basement about 10 ft from the dehumidifier set to 55RH.
I will pull all the wiring and clean the contacts where possible.

Storage is what killed them.. humidity/ condensation wiped them out.. or they were used in wet conditions in the last use..

You will most likely need to replace the servo's, and hopefully not the receiver's as well.. check the plugs at the Rx and see if any corrosion exists..

How they were stored plays a huge roll.. in a garage, attic, any place that goes hot to cold, or high in humidity can result in what you see..
I was thinking the same thing, sounds like the internal potentiometer is messed up. I had a servo do something similar (stuttering).

Yes, fresh AA in the radios. In fact the same set. Worked in the last truck but not the first.
Endpoints calibration? Can you point me to directions on that?

We never ran the trucks in the wet. They were stored in our furnished climate controled basement about 10 ft from the dehumidifier set to 55RH.
I will pull all the wiring and clean the contacts where possible.

No need to clean any terminals if they do not show signs of corrosion.. end point calibration is futile if the servo's do not function properly or at all..

Regardless of your basement conditions they saw enough moisture to kill the potentiometer's... Hard to keep track of what happened two years ago, or what has happened since then .. heck, I can't remember what I had for breakfast 2 day's ago...🤷

+1
The stocker servos are garbage anyway.
Appears the common denominator is that they were left to sit for very long. Age and length of non use just creates more corrosion. Especially if they get wet at some point. From just water cleaning or bashing in water/snow.I would look over all the connections at the Rx as well. The RX might have even got wet. Glitchy, non-centering servos could even be a sign that the Servos's Potentiometers are in question. They can corrode easily, if the slightest amount of moisture Ingress got to them.
A recalibration is in order. At the very least.
See what happens. Might get lucky? IDK.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back