Selling on ebay?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigrayzrc

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 6s
I'm sure some of you on here has done it before, but what are the steps to opening up an ebay account?

Go to Ebay home page and click on register at top left of page or at bottom of page.

I don't want to discourage you but the last time I tried to list on there, I was trying to list a guitar and had to pay per picture I was posting. I decided it wasn't worth it after all the fees

Depending on the item…. It might not be worth it… I try every other platform before eBay… on average I lose anywhere between $15-75 bucks due to the PayPal fees. eBay fees listings fees ect… but there has been a time where I broke dead even.

Not sure about the precise steps involved in opening a seller account from scratch these days, but it will be some combination of signing up, verifying, and linking a bank account to receive payouts.

You don't have to pay per picture unless you want to go over the limit of a free listing, and typically there are no fees unless your item sells, then eBay takes a cut. You can pay to promote the listing, have an additional subtitle, etc. but you don't have to, it's all optional. They also haven't been affiliated with PayPal for years and you can completely skip using it if you don't like or trust it.

From a seller's perspective, they have figured out fraud protection fairly well, and I prefer the experience of a well-regulated marketplace to the schittshow of scammers and under-the-table dealings with dimwits I typically encounter trying to sell locally. You still get that occasionally on eBay, but less now than in the past.

Not sure about the precise steps involved in opening a seller account from scratch these days, but it will be some combination of signing up, verifying, and linking a bank account to receive payouts.

You don't have to pay per picture unless you want to go over the limit of a free listing, and typically there are no fees unless your item sells, then eBay takes a cut. You can pay to promote the listing, have an additional subtitle, etc. but you don't have to, it's all optional. They also haven't been affiliated with PayPal for years and you can completely skip using it if you don't like or trust it.

From a seller's perspective, they have figured out fraud protection fairly well, and I prefer the experience of a well-regulated marketplace to the schittshow of scammers and under-thetable dealings with dimwits I typically encounter trying to sell locally. You still get that occasionally on eBay, but less now than in the past.
Thanks, you gave the best advice
Those feeeee's. man oh man.
I sold a drone for 4200 and ended up with 37 and some change.
It's better to sell locally if at all possible, just be smart/careful about it.
How did you manage to get that many fees? 🤣

Last edited:
I don't sell on eBay much anymore, but more because i prefer dealing locally. Less hassle that way. The biggest piece of advice i can give though, use either Cashapp, or some other form of prepaid card. Personally, i use Cashapp and a Walmart money card for all my online transactions. Its too easy for eBay to get hacked, or, what i really think happens, they sell info to third parties, and for someone to get your bank info. Over the last 4 years, i have had my accounts hacked, and, almost everytime, its been after i sell for a couple months on eBay. As for fees and transactions, they don't always tell you ahead of time the exact amount they are going to take out. The last time i sold on there, they took the fees, and then, a few days later, told me i still owed them. That started after they pretty much stopped working with PayPal.

Honestly ebay isn't worth it. Doesn't matter if you're selling something for $15 or something for $500, you're going to eat a PILE of fees from Paypal, ebay itself, everything under the sun. Drop it on an app like Offerup, you don't pay any fees unless you want to promote the listing (which is a very reasonable price as well). I've had an ebay account since 2001 according to my profile page and it's always been slanted towards getting buyers a good deal while punishing sellers for absolutely everything.

I did a lot of selling of old video games for a while and when the bill came at the end of the month and I owed over $200 in fees (I had made probably $800) I was pretty miffed. I expected about half of that.

Granted, there are ways to spend less money but it's all a gamble. Setting reserve prices used to kick up the listing cost. Buy it Now auctions kick up the cost significantly. Then of course you pay the Paypal fees as well as a percentage of the final buy price.

The only kind of auctions that you spend a bit less on are very low, no-reserve style auctions. But heck it's been two years since I've sold on ebay, so it may have changed yet again.

I've sold a few $100+ items on facebook marketplace. I don't use facebook for the money transfer stuff, I just use it for coordinating PayPal information with them. I request their PayPal info. If they give me their paypal info, I send them a request for the billed amount. If they actually want the item, they'll "pay" it which includes their mailing address. Then I can mail them the package and they don't get to know where I live until they receive the package, and I've already got the payment by then. I've felt pretty safe doing it (at least FELT safe), and paypal only takes a few percent of the transaction. The buyer protection for paypal exists, so I just document everything super well before shipping so the customer knows that no one is trying to rip either person off (I send them video of the product functioning and in use and usually one of me packaging and shipping that same product). Just my way of doing it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back