Rival MT10 On Sale!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure it's a bit better. But at over $80 it's a pass for me!
Could get a great 1/10 esc for that money.
What motor options for the 10BL120 would be best on a 2S lipo? Would I have good air control with the MT10?

What motor options for the 10BL120 would be best on a 2S lipo? Would I have good air control with the MT10?
I personally wouldn't go with anything lower than about 3400kv, for temperature and torque purposes. It is a big chunky Monster Truck after all. The brushless models come with a 3300kv motor from the factory. I'm not sure if there's a particular reason you're looking to run it on 2S, but the truck and that ESC can definitely handle 3S. Just gear it close to factory specs, you can probably even go down a tooth if you're really considered about temps and durability. I'm running the 10BL120 with a 2700kv in my Senton and a 10BL120 combo with the 3150kv motor in my Typhon. I don't plan to run either of them on 4S, but the ESC doesn't have to work that hard with those setups.

Picked up the mt10 brushed! Could I go to JennysRc and buy a esc / motor pulled out of say a Vorteks and put it in the mt10?
You could, but if you're going to buy electronics I'd just jump straight to Hobbywing. It's a step above the Spektrum stuff, and pretty much around the same price. The two things I really hate about the stock Arrma 3S electronics are the low speed cogging and lack of initial startup torque from the ESC. Hobbywing systems are typically MUCH smoother IMO. Just don't order directly from Hobbywing's website.

I personally wouldn't go with anything lower than about 3400kv, for temperature and torque purposes. It is a big chunky Monster Truck after all. The brushless models come with a 3300kv motor from the factory. I'm not sure if there's a particular reason you're looking to run it on 2S, but the truck and that ESC can definitely handle 3S. Just gear it close to factory specs, you can probably even go down a tooth if you're really considered about temps and durability. I'm running the 10BL120 with a 2700kv in my Senton and a 10BL120 combo with the 3150kv motor in my Typhon. I don't plan to run either of them on 4S, but the ESC doesn't have to work that hard with those setups.

You could, but if you're going to buy electronics I'd just jump straight to Hobbywing. It's a step above the Spektrum stuff, and pretty much around the same price. The two things I really hate about the stock Arrma 3S electronics are the low speed cogging and lack of initial startup torque from the ESC. Hobbywing systems are typically MUCH smoother IMO. Just don't order directly from Hobbywing's website.

I have a 2S lipo mostly use 2S, 4S and 8S vehicles. Looking to get some really good torque and air control for this beast with 2S.

Maybe you could lead me to a 4S system that would work?

Picked up the mt10 brushed! Could I go to JennysRc and buy an esc / motor pulled out of say a Vorteks and put it in the mt10?
You could but it’s overpriced still even at Jenny’s, and the motors are notorious for failing. I’d recommend just get the hobbywing 10bl120 g2 for $35 on aliexpress and buy a kv motor of your choice separately from a brand like rocket

I see your comment about mostly running 2/4/8s intervals. I’d get the 10bl120 2400kv motor and run it 4s!

I have a 2S lipo mostly use 2S, 4S and 8S vehicles. Looking to get some really good torque and air control for this beast with 2S.

Maybe you could lead me to a 4S system that would work?
I'm running this exact setup in my Senton. 4S capable, but the motor produces too much power to keep the front end down on 4S (SCT bodies parachute notoriously easy).

2024-03-15_15h56_30.png

2024-03-15_15h56_54.png

We really like our 3S Horizon/Spektrum systems, have several rigs with the BLX100 and stock motors, they have been very reliable. Keep the dust out of the power module and those machines rip. We don't notice any cogging.

Also have a 4x4 Redcat Volcano with the Hobbywing 60A ESC and 3300kv 3650 motor, on 2S it's way fun, 3s uncontrollable. Factory pinion is way oversized for higher speeds on 2S so it does cog, but, that makes it more fun. Like driving a 2-stroke RC :cool: .

Can't deny the new 10BL120 is a great value, I hear they are good too. I would just advise caution with going with a motor that is too big for the MT10, the motor plate is half the thickness of the Arrma 3S?

Last edited:
Picked up the mt10 brushed! Could I go to JennysRc and buy a esc / motor pulled out of say a Vorteks and put it in the mt10?
Yep plenty of decent options there
BLX 100 for $46 (not programmable)

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...ess-blx100-esc-speed-control-granite-ar102711

Firma 100A Smart ESC for $53 (programmable and firmware can be updated, programming card is $30)

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma-infraction-4x4-3s-blx-esc-firms-100a-speed-control-ara4315v3

3660 3200 kv motor for $39https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-granite-ar102668?_pos=6&_sid=e15e61c58&_ss=r

3660 3900kv motor for $52

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-firma-ara4319v3?_pos=10&_sid=e15e61c58&_ss=r

Mix and match the ESC and motors to get the combo you want.

Or, wait for the $90 Hobbywing Quicrun combos to come back in stock and snag on of those.

I bought a cheap brushed Rival MT10 on Tower Hobbies… The deal is still available and I wanted to share it for anyone interested.

Also looking for any advice going brushless for the ESC/MOTOR & SERVO would be helpful.

I have a Hobbywing 3660 Combo I was going to throw in but I would like to hear some options as well because I think this community is top tier and why not read some good advice 😎

Thank you!

View attachment 353136
I snagged this deal last month over presidents day weekend. At that time they also had the 4wd SC10 Brushed version for the same price as well, but it sold out quickly.

I've reinforced the body, put in a Hobbywing 10BL120G2 ESC and HW EZRun 3660 3200 kv motor with a 13T pinion. It's a pretty fun truck, I might bump the pinion to 14T as it runs plenty cool Feels like the diffs are not near full at all so I still need to open them up and fill them, thinking 5k rear, 60k center, and 30k front, a lot lighter than most people prefer, but I don't require wheelies to make me smile, lol.

The Granite BLX for $260 right is a great deal and would be a similar price-point to the MT10 brushed plus a brushless upgrade, but the MT10 comes with a center-diff already. Adding the Mojave 4s center diff to the Granite is not a cheap upgrade.

Last edited:
We really like our 3S Horizon/Spektrum systems, have several rigs with the BLX100 and stock motors, they have been very reliable. Keep the dust out of the power module and those machines rip. We don't notice any cogging.

Also have a 4x4 Redcat Volcano with the Hobbywing 60A ESC and 3300kv 3650 motor, on 2S it's way fun, 3s uncontrollable. Factory pinion is way oversized for higher speeds on 2S so it does cog, but, that makes it more fun. Like driving a 2-stroke RC :cool: .

Can't deny the new 10BL120 is a great value, I hear they are good too. I would just advise caution with going with a motor that is too big for the MT10, the motor plate is half the thickness of the Arrma 3S?
Based on the groups I'm in everybody is needing the crcu plate anyways

For sure it's a bit better. But at over $80 it's a pass for me!
Could get a great 1/10 esc for that money.
I can't even find the old Max10 in new condition, I found the 80a Max10 SCT and the new Max10 G2.

This is the same price as the combo he posted. You get the Max10 SCT 80a and a 3660 motor https://www.ebay.com/itm/3333224200...7STlaFyzYFEdCtC2VcJAHFiw==|tkp:Bk9SR_DV6MLIYw

Based on the groups I'm in everybody is needing the crcu plate anyways
CRCU plate? For?

Sorry, I was talking about the CRCU motor plate. At least I think that's the brand making it? It's a 7075 motor plate because the motor plate is one of the few weaknesses on the mt10

Sorry, I was talking about the CRCU motor plate. At least I think that's the brand making it? It's a 7075 motor plate because the motor plate is one of the few weaknesses on the mt10

Do you know if anyone else makes a motor plate for it? In stock

Hot dang. They do have one for the mt10. Wish they had someone across the pond making these.
Yep plenty of decent options there
BLX 100 for $46 (not programmable)

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...ess-blx100-esc-speed-control-granite-ar102711

Firma 100A Smart ESC for $53 (programmable and firmware can be updated, programming card is $30)

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma-infraction-4x4-3s-blx-esc-firms-100a-speed-control-ara4315v3

3660 3200 kv motor for $39https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-granite-ar102668?_pos=6&_sid=e15e61c58&_ss=r

3660 3900kv motor for $52

https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...-firma-ara4319v3?_pos=10&_sid=e15e61c58&_ss=r

Mix and match the ESC and motors to get the combo you want.

Or, wait for the $90 Hobbywing Quicrun combos to come back in stock and snag on of those.

I snagged this deal last month over presidents day weekend. At that time they also had the 4wd SC10 Brushed version for the same price as well, but it sold out quickly.

I've reinforced the body, put in a Hobbywing 10BL120G2 ESC and HW EZRun 3660 3200 kv motor with a 13T pinion. It's a pretty fun truck, I might bump the pinion to 14T as it runs plenty cool Feels like the diffs are not near full at all so I still need to open them up and fill them, thinking 5k rear, 60k center, and 30k front, a lot lighter than most people prefer, but I don't require wheelies to make me smile, lol.

The Granite BLX for $260 right is a great deal and would be a similar price-point to the MT10 brushed plus a brushless upgrade, but the MT10 comes with a center-diff already. Adding the Mojave 4s center diff to the Granite is not a cheap upgrade.
I think the 10bl120 combos are about the best deal you can get. Solid motor and esc for $90? Yes please. Or the 10bl120 and and cheap 3660 motor from aliexpress.

I have the Quicrun setup with 3200kv 3660 in my mt10 with zero complaints. Currently running a 14t pinion on 2s & 3s with no heat issues. Got some headroom to gear up and can still gear down if needed.

The motor plate is what bends but the whole assembly flexes if you press on the motor. I wouldn't worry about the motor plate as it seems to be a required mod even with a 3650 motor.

Last edited:

Oh I didn't even know anyone made one for the MT10.

I have the Quicrun setup with 3200kv 3660 in my mt10 with zero complaints. Currently running a 14t pinion on 2s & 3s with no heat issues. Got some headroom to gear up and can still gear down if needed.

The motor plate is what bends but the whole assembly flexes if you press on the motor. I wouldn't worry about the motor plate as it seems to be a required mod even with a 3650 motor.
Does this cause the spur gear to get chewed up?

M2C Motor Plate

Attachments

• IMG_7462.png
    IMG_7462.png
    535.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Does this cause the spur gear to get chewed up?

M2C Motor Plate

Haven't had it long enough to tell! I am maybe 20 packs through the truck brushed and 5 packs brushless with zero issues with the mesh/gears. I am also not flying trucks, I just drive around the front yard when I need get away from the computer.

I think the motor plate fixes the bent plate issue but I still see the whole assembly flexing even with a stiffer plate. I plan to order a plate after I bend or kill a spur gear. Associated is heavy handed with the super glue on screws, I am trying not to fight that battle till I have to.

The stock Reedy Brushless motor is a 3300kv, 3652, motor weight should make a difference.

KT bashed this truck hard on the stock electrics.

Cells:2-3 LiPo, 4-9 NiMH
kV rating:3300
Applications:1:10 buggy, truck, SC
Dimensions (mm):52 x 36
Shaft Diameter (mm):3.17 (1/8 in)
Weight (g):211
Power Wires:12-gauge silicone
Connectors:3.5mm
Bearing size (OD, ID, thickness):13x5x4mm (shielded)

https://www.associatedelectrics.com...907-reedy_540-sl4_sensorless_brushless_motor/

Last edited:
Back