Granite Setting up hot racing shock bodies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdikyle

Reaction score
Recently picked up the hot racing shock bodies and I stalled them thing morning.

I used the stock springs and 650cst core RC oil

When I push down on the truck it doesn't return to the standing position

Here's the standing position
IMG_20191117_145938.jpg

And here it is after pushing down

IMG_20191117_145933.jpg

How would I get it to return to the higher position?
How much should I screw the spring retainer down?
Do I need thicker oil?

You need stiffer springs. The oil dampens and the spring returns the shock to normal ride height.
Here is the stock Granite BLX spring rate. You need to get close to this with springs that fit your shocks.

Granite BLX Springs (Stock)
Front - 70mm @ 5.71 lb/in
Rear - 80mm @ 4.80 lb/in

I use 30wt oil in my typhon 6s shocks and a set of trackstar and I do not have this issue. I don't think its the wt that is the problem for you guys.

Dial up your preload some; your springs aren't resisting the weight of the truck. Do not thin your oil at this point. 35-50wt is a good range for this truck depending on your bashing.

Been battling the shock battle ever since I got my Granite. Flippin' toy truck shocks, man. What am I doing with my life! :unsure:

I'm using Pro-Line shocks front and rear now, running 45wt (610cst) both ends. Stock Granite Mega/BLX springs on the front and yellow PL springs on the rear. Got fed up with the stock shocks leaking literally every week.

I use 30wt oil in my typhon 6s shocks and a set of trackstar and I do not have this issue. I don't think its the wt that is the problem for you guys.
@RC DUDE81 he also told me that he use 30wt shock oil but i don't know how this setup work for him...for me not...what do you suggest? ?

i have same problem...but with typhone 6s shocks on my granite...now i have 30wt oil and is way to soft...i order 60wt oil that must solve the problem.

As mentioned above I run Pro-Line Power-Stroke shocks on my Granite 4x4, and I've tested 60wt (810cst). Right now I'm pretty happy with 45 front 45 rear.

60 yields a stiff shock you need to dial a lot of preload in to to return to ride-height well, it packs easy, and I found that my truck was very bouncy in the rear-end while testing 60 in the rear. Literally, I'd land from a jump and my truck's rear would bounce up again and often do a 180 with any remaining momentum.

I'd recommend getting some 45 and/or 50 on order. Pretty sure 60 is going to be too heavy for this scale shock unless it flows incredibly well.

@RC DUDE81 he also told me that he use 30wt shock oil but i don't know how this setup work for him...for me not...what do you suggest? ?
Empty oil, take everything apart and rebuild. Make sure there are no binding rubbing parts. Make sure no bends in shafts. You are using the typhon springs correct?

You need stiffer springs. The oil dampens and the spring returns the shock to normal ride height.
Here is the stock Granite BLX spring rate. You need to get close to this with springs that fit your shocks.

Granite BLX Springs (Stock)
Front - 70mm @ 5.71 lb/in
Rear - 80mm @ 4.80 lb/in
I'm using the hot racing shock bodies which uses the standard granite springs, took it out today and was getting quite a bit of chassis slap, managed to be d a turnbuckle and snap an arm at the hinge pin. Going to wait for parts to arrive and adjust the pre load.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back