Shorter spring + a lot of droop all it takes to turn a fireteam into a limitless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chilly81

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Typhon 3s
Ah clickbait - of course it's not. But I was seriously considering what just doing these two things could do to be able to have one car (a Fireteam) and spend 10 minutes switching it back and forth between regular bash mode and road mode. It won't be a limitless but I'd imagine it would make it hugely better with minimum changeover or cost.

Leave stock shocks and towers - long travel high, fairly lightly sprung and damp. Figure out how much shorter the shock spring would have to be to drop the car to the desired low/street ride height. Maybe 130mm down to 80mm. Get a spring that length, with at least a 50% higher rate. Then adjust the droop to prevent the shock from extending past the length of the new shorter springs. So basically you're using droop to prevent the shock from going full extension. Having the short spring avoids having a big preload because you tried to squash the long spring down. And having a stiffer spring rate would be because it was in road mode.

Any reason that wouldn't work? Maybe not perfect, but drop the ride height an inch or more and stiffen up the suspension, and swap the tires. Can literally do in 10 minutes as long as you don't go crazy with spring rates and need to thicken the fluid. I bet it would be a different car for minimal bucks... really only the cost of the springs, since you're going to eat tires one way or another when you're using the car.

I do wish the droop adjustment and pin looked a little more robust, but I don't really see a reason it would fail. But if changing droop frequently, it might not hold up.

That should work just as you explained. You could always set up some limit straps to control droop instead of messing with the droop screws every time.

IMHO I would just buy a limitless if you got the coin.
sounds like alot of work but would love to see it at the same time lol oh this hobby.

IMHO I would just buy a limitless if you got the coin.
sounds like alot of work but would love to see it at the same time lol oh this hobby.

That would be the sane route. I'm just on the fence about how much I'd actually use a street car so this is a cheap way to try it a little and see. I actually ended up just ordering 2 sets of rear felony shocks off jennysrc for $27/pair. Springs would have cost me $10/pair, so I figured this was worth having extra shocks to play with. I kind of eyeballed how long I'd want them and these seemed about right, and stiff. So just swapping shocks and tires is a 5 minute job unless I'm overlooking something, so that's reasonable before a session or taking a break.

That should work just as you explained. You could always set up some limit straps to control droop instead of messing with the droop screws every time.
Good idea, didn't know those were a thing.

So I definitely messed up my calculation somewhere and the felony etc. shocks are too short. But when I upgraded my granite To vendetta and Mojave 6S shocks, the springs that came on them were shorter than The fire team Springs. So I was actually able to put those onto the stock fire team shocks and drop the ride height to just below level a arms With the rear larger hoons tires from a felony on all four corners.

I don’t know how much different it could be then driving a real felony. You touch the throttle its spins around lol. It’s stable at full speed. I put a 22 pinion on as opposed to the 12 tooth stock on the fire team.
Hey for $100 for tires, springs, and a pinion, it’s definitely a different vehicle and lets me change it up once in a while for .
315EAAB7-3D03-41A4-A3EA-505E2DC509CC.jpeg

2A634B3E-367E-4A58-B190-778AF9EA455A.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back