Fabricated a true 7075-T651 alloy Ackerman plate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Kid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Save some $$, have some fun fabricating, make it IMO better than you can purchase etc ...

Starting with a Sheet of .125" thick 7075 material ( Used this as model boat Hydroplane turn fin material years ago ) and know it is the real deal & tough stuff !
On the table saw cut a long rectangle piece first. Then clamped a factory POS Ackermann plate on top of it. Transfer drilled the holes taking special note on the pivot bearing hole to be slight under size for the steel flange bearings. * These I want as a PRESS fit into the arm (y)
That done, scribe the shape onto the piece and head over to the 1" belt sander and shape it to the scribe line, tho keeping it a tad wider mid link for more strength.
After that a drum sander on the dremel tool going around the edges smoothing to the scribe line. Deburring of the edges and holes with a quick pass over some 220 on a flat surfacing plate.
Small smear of RED loc-tite 271 on big holes and flange bearings get pressed in with @ > .002" interference fit ..... DONE
Better & larger/thicker Stainless washers as back ups against steering rack linkages round it out.

I call this a Proper plate done on the cheap ... Full CNC manufactured links with a raised reinforcement ridge likely stronger, but this one self made is better than OEM, GPM, HR etc Chinesium junk.

thumbnail.jpg

b.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

7075 T651 is awesome stuff. Stronger than T6. Nice work. Where'd you find the plate material?

7075 T651 is awesome stuff. Stronger than T6. Nice work. Where'd you find the plate material?
Sourced the .125" 7075-T651 plate @ 15 years ago from an Aluminum material warehouse, I recall a 3 foot square at the time.
It came with a protective plastic to protect the brushed/buff finish on the one side.

Sourced the .125" 7075-T651 plate @ 15 years ago from an Aluminum material warehouse, I recall a 3 foot square at the time.
It came with a protective plastic to protect the brushed/buff finish on the one side.
Cool. The 7075 T651 plate I get now comes with the plastic film on it, same type finish. Machines very well.

Installed it late afternoon ... no issue with the beefier mid section as is was mostly on the mid chassis side.
With a few shims added on the pivot posts before the top plate went on it all moves friction free w/o interference hitting the diff housing anywhere and minimal up/down slop on the steering linkage posts.
(y)

Back