Kraton Should you use Loctite when going into a nylon nut?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barmaleus

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Hey all!

Was wondering if I should use Loctite when going into a nylon nut?
Specifically, will be putting together an aluminum steering rack for my K4s 2.5

Thanks!

1713984905165.png

1713984967624.png

I would only do it on applications where it wont stay without loctite. I've had 1 or 2 situations where I've used it, rarely necessary though.
Last time I used it was on an m4 screw/locknut holding a center chassis brace in. Locknut loosened multiple times, added a touch of loctite and it stayed.

They're supposed to be different types of solutions for the same problem. They both use a non-metal compound as the medium for absorbing vibrations to prevent the nut/fastener from backing out. I don't believe they were ever designed to be used together though.

Threadlock tends to degrade plastics. I suspect if you let the threadlock cure before installing it might react differently with the nylon locking insert, as i think the uncured product is probably more volatile. But that's purely speculation. Without some sort of evaluation to back that up, i would assume the threadlock would also degrade the locking insert.

I would recommend just sticking with locknut only. If you do plan to do both, I would let the threalock fully dry/cure on the fastener before attempting to install the locknut.

Hey all!

Was wondering if I should use Loctite when going into a nylon nut?
Specifically, will be putting together an aluminum steering rack for my K4s 2.5

Thanks!

View attachment 362902
View attachment 362903
I just worked on that very piece- loctite is not needed because if you inspect it, the screw actually threads into plastic before the nut (specially so loctite isn’t needed).

I know Loctite isn't good for the plastic over time, but does it affect nylon? I know I should Google it but figured it's a small enough question it can't hurt ;).

Thanks everyone! Decided to simply pour Super Glue over the nuts n bolts. Feels sturdy.

JK.
All is well and no Loctite was used =)

1713993787786.jpeg

I know Loctite isn't good for the plastic over time, but does it affect nylon? I know I should Google it but figured it's a small enough question it can't hurt ;).
Sir, I consulted with ChatGPT. Asked to give me a detailed, scientific answer :D

Loctite and similar cyanoacrylate adhesives can cause damage to nylon materials due to their chemical properties. Cyanoacrylates polymerize rapidly in the presence of moisture, creating a strong bond and exothermic reaction. This heat can lead to stress cracking in nylon, a phenomenon where cracks form due to localized stress concentrations caused by the differential contraction between the hardened adhesive and the plastic. Additionally, the solvent base in some adhesives might react with the nylon, weakening its molecular structure. For applications involving nylon, it's essential to use adhesives that specify compatibility with this material, ensuring the chemical components do not interact adversely with the nylon's polymer matrix.

Thanks everyone! Decided to simply pour Super Glue over the nuts n bolts. Feels sturdy.

JK.
All is well and no Loctite was used =)

View attachment 362926

Sir, I consulted with ChatGPT. Asked to give me a detailed, scientific answer :D

Loctite and similar cyanoacrylate adhesives can cause damage to nylon materials due to their chemical properties. Cyanoacrylates polymerize rapidly in the presence of moisture, creating a strong bond and exothermic reaction. This heat can lead to stress cracking in nylon, a phenomenon where cracks form due to localized stress concentrations caused by the differential contraction between the hardened adhesive and the plastic. Additionally, the solvent base in some adhesives might react with the nylon, weakening its molecular structure. For applications involving nylon, it's essential to use adhesives that specify compatibility with this material, ensuring the chemical components do not interact adversely with the nylon's polymer matrix.
Ok, you got me there!
Looking good.

Back