Speed build by a noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked the typhon today after yesterdays run and the crash twisted the chassis :) yay haha

The question is do i replace the chassis with a tyhpon or do the stretched chassis mod?

Does anyone know exactly what is needed to do the stretch mod?

Checked the typhon today after yesterdays run and the crash twisted the chassis :) yay haha

The question is do i replace the chassis with a tyhpon or do the stretched chassis mod?

Does anyone know exactly what is needed to do the stretch mod?
Arrh' bad luck man!!
Kraton chassis' rear dogbone'( rear to centre dif)
I think u need to extend the body mounts.

I was thinking about doing the same with some 13/15mm hex extenders.

Nice' Looks like i might be following suite.

Ive just received my motor for my hobao 7.
Looks like it has bigger mounting holes then the castle 2650 i had so i think il use it for the typhon.
But i don't want to shave my rear arms down to accomodate the motor so extending might be the answer.

Well that was alot easier to put the kraton chassis on the typhon. Looks alot better. Hopefully be a bit more stable. Spool installed and ready to go.
20190724_210015.jpg

Now just to wait on the new pinion coming.

Well that was alot easier to put the kraton chassis on the typhon. Looks alot better. Hopefully be a bit more stable. Spool installed and ready to go.
View attachment 43760

Now just to wait on the new pinion coming.
Awesome' what geats are u planni g on using?

I tried 50t and 27 tooth other day' 2140kv motor would get hot after every 3 pulls i let cool

Trying 31pinion tonoght
Hey'
Why did u go stretched again?
Was your chassis bent?

Last edited:
Going to be using a 34 spur with a 36 pinion. When ever the pinion gear arrives that is haha went for the stretched chassis just because it looks better and the original got bent. don't know if the extra wheelbase helps stability or that

I got the wrong its a 34 pinion gear i have ordered. My mistake. The range is my biggest problem. Want to get it better but don't want to break the bank

I got the wrong its a 34 pinion gear i have ordered. My mistake. The range is my biggest problem. Want to get it better but don't want to break the bank
At 100mph you are going to break the bank real bad if you loose range and crash.

Futaba 3PVis the best bang for the buck on range! Somewhere around $110.00 with receiver typically.
(the radio I use)
Since switching to Futaba I have never lost radio connection with the car. It was a common experience on other radios and freaking scary when there is a truck coming down the road towards your $1000 RC car sitting in the middle of the road.

Ordered a futaba 3pv for the typhon tonight and the new bearing set arrived. Start putting them in tomorrow hopefully.

Finally glued the tyres onto the rims for the tamiya dark impact. Might get a decent run with it before the tyre comes off the rim and gets caught up on the steering knuckle.

Nothing to report for the kraton just now, kind of went back to a basher until i get my goal out of the typhon and dark impact

20190726_044608.jpg

Does anyone use a gyro for speed runs to keep the car straight? Or just use a good alignment set up?

Most speed runners do not use a gyro. With that said Nic Case (202mph world record holder) noted that a gyro helped keep the car in control during braking. Braking is where I have the most problems because the car is furthest away from me at that point and near its peak speed.

With a good alignment the car will drive perfectly straight and not require any steering inputs. Locking the diffs or extremely thick fluid helps with this significantly.

Front wheel alignment should be just slightly negative toe in. When adjusting the toe and camber take into consideration any slop in the steering links. Team Durango has a part that can reduce the toe in for the rear of the vehicle, however I know many people running in the 150-168mph range on factory rear toe in without issues.

-Liberty

Beginner or real Beginner.

Most of normal People can controll a good car for speed run / straight forward.

There is anyway more .

BEST:
Drive offroad car at offroad track. See the litthe things there, when car jump and leave the ground.
Drive more offroad.

After this you know/have learn that RC cars is not mostly made for SpeedRuns at all !

If you still need run high speed ?
Start Practice 1/10 track. Nitro is good.

When you Handle this.
Go 1/8 track

When you handle this ?
Start thinking how to Speed run ARRMA Car ?
Heheh
This is not SAFE i think !

Maybe Limitless does this PERFECT if you done all the other important things Right !

Right after that you must think about Safety.
You don't want hit others, or your self when doing 70mph +

I don't mean to be bad or so

Give some serious thinkings only

TAKE CARE

Got a good run with the typhon after work. Bit lower than i was expecting before the esc would cut power. On the upsides temps are fine on the motor and esc. 78.3mph. Futaba 3pv worked flawlessly.

Next step smaller pinion and a cap pack?

20190730_152857.jpg

I often forget to mention differential gear ratios when telling what my gearing was for my speed run.
Sorry if that info mislead you in any way.
I believe my gearing of 37 pinion and 34 spur equates to around 28 pinion and 34 spur with the typhon differential.

Typhon diff 13/43 diff versus 10/43 on the Kraton diff.

Last edited:
Got a good run with the typhon after work. Bit lower than i was expecting before the esc would cut power. On the upsides temps are fine on the motor and esc. 78.3mph. Futaba 3pv worked flawlessly.

Next step smaller pinion and a cap pack?

View attachment 44247
Smaller pinion?

Yeh going to try a 25 tooth then a 28 tooth. The esc was cutting power at about 78 so couldnt get a full throttle run.
That’s a larger pinion by all accounts. More teeth and larger size. Why would you say smaller? I’m confused. ??‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back