Speed build by a noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The esc is cutting power at about 78mph using the 34 pinion so going to try a smaller pinion to see if i can get a bit more speed before the esc cuts power.

That’s a larger pinion by all accounts. More teeth and larger size. Why would you say smaller? I’m confused. ??‍♂️
Basically the motor and the gearing creates the load to the ESC (amperage)
If you reduce the gearing the amp demand goes down. Since the ESC couldn't handle the load, if he reduces the gearing he can attempt to keep the ESC from cutting power and actually achieve a higher speed even though he is reducing the gear size.
(sounds backwards but you are fighting the limitations of the ESC)

If you guys do not already have the Bolo speed calculator I highly recommend it. (you can download an excel spread sheet to keep on your computer)
This is an example of the Typhon. The calculator is assuming that there is no gravity, friction, mass etc... Basically the car is spinning the wheels up in the air. I have used the 80% ball park when shooting for 100mph.
So for example when I plug in 28T pinion and the speed will be around 129mph 80% of that puts me right around 103mph
-Typhon diff 13 / 43
-GRP tires 98mm
-BLX motor 2050

The esc is cutting power at about 78mph using the 34 pinion so going to try a smaller pinion to see if i can get a bit more speed before the esc cuts power.
My bad. I just went back and read the older posts where you said that the ESC was failing with the 34T pinion. Now I understand. I was assuming you were coming from stock pinion.

Oh nice!!!
Maybe you could be abit overgeared for the size of your road??
Im using stock 50t spur and almost at 100 as of tonight.

Did your spool arrive?

Cheers

Yeh it was over geared. Got the 25t pinion in the car just now and the new aero kit. ( probably just a gimmick but looks good )

Hopefully get a run in either tomorrow or monday.

20190803_105402.jpg

Does look the part!

You would need to do a test run, my concern is the added down force can and will slow you down, the angled edges on the front and rear wing would of been better totally flat.

Run it and see ??

Done a quick speed run after work, got 84.6mph out the car. Ground was a bit damp and slippy so couldnt get much traction. Should be a decent speed run in the dry. Now running the 29t pinion gear.

Only really noticed today but grp tyres get really sticky when they are hot, awsome stuff

Got the 29t pinion on and still cutting out under piwer but seems to be even worse than the 34t pinion. God knows whats happening there. The 27t pinion is going on tonight and hopefully get the goal out of it.

On a side note, never run when it starts to rain a bit. doesn't end well haha wasnt even that wet, looked damp but obv to little grip. ( the picture was taken after it had a sudden downpour after the crash )

20190806_163753.jpg

Damn bro!!
Yeh not great idea to run in the wet lol.
What gear spool gear T are you using again?

Are you coming on throttle smoothly as u build up speed?

If your just flooring it from low speed will cause esc to cut out.

Ive just installed my limitless spool last with 34 t gear .
Ima run 30/34

If you ever want to upgrade esc the 120a mm2 is a monster 6s esc!!

Got the 29t pinion on and still cutting out under piwer but seems to be even worse than the 34t pinion. God knows whats happening there. The 27t pinion is going on tonight and hopefully get the goal out of it.

On a side note, never run when it starts to rain a bit. doesn't end well haha wasnt even that wet, looked damp but obv to little grip. ( the picture was taken after it had a sudden downpour after the crash )

View attachment 46275
How many cartwheels was that crash ?

Damn bro!!
Yeh not great idea to run in the wet lol.
What gear spool gear T are you using again?

Are you coming on throttle smoothly as u build up speed?

If your just flooring it from low speed will cause esc to cut out.

Ive just installed my limitless spool last with 34 t gear .
Ima run 30/34

If you ever want to upgrade esc the 120a mm2 is a monster 6s esc!!

Was running a 29t pinion and a 34t spur but just put the 27t pinion in to see how it does. Smooth on the throttle but still being wierd. Maybe the esc is gubbed and time to get a bigger and better one :)

I think maybe so.
Thst gearing is really high too.
I got limitless spool now.
Gonna try 27/34 .
Thats higher rstio then 34/50.
Hopefully 110mph gearing.

Did you get your typhon sorted??

I think maybe so.
Thst gearing is really high too.
I got limitless spool now.
Gonna try 27/34 .
Thats higher rstio then 34/50.
Hopefully 110mph gearing.

Did you get your typhon sorted??

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been working aloy and struggling to get runs in. Got a ripple killer cap pack fitted and the 27t pinion on.

Over the moon to announce that i got my 100 goal :) well 101mph to be exact.

Onto the next milestone of 110. Think i will definitely be changing the esc to a mm2 to achieve that though

Last edited:
Changed the tyres and put the hacked up stock rear wing back on. Going to give it a test tomorrow to see if its any slower or better with the stock wing compared to the aluminium one.

20190916_170554.jpg

The kraton is back in the game after changing a wrecked rear diff and the dark impact is now sporting a 6.5 turn brushless motor. Both wothh hopefully get a run tomorrow aswell

So after a bit of a break from the speed runs and the blx185 esc finally letting the magic out i am back to getting ready to do some speed runs. Now have 3 speed run dedicated cars. Still got the typhon which has been rebuilt and given a 2000kv alien performance brushless motor. The tamiya TT02 running a 4.5t alien performance brushless motor with a team orion vortex r8 esc and last but not least the arrma limitless. Running the hobbywing max 8 combo ( 2000kv motor )
IMG_20200425_154756_289.jpg

IMG_20200425_122047_014.jpg

20200501_224640.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back