Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished building my Typhon. Had the front end let loose resulting in multiple trips tot he grass. I realized when i took it apart that I forgot to shim end and paid the price. Rectified that situation, but now the weather is doodoorific. I've got S4 GRPs on it now. but I'm a bit leary of running. 70's during the say. Very little sun light and s4 are the only grps i've have blow out. I've got 5s and 7s but it's way too cold for that.

My week...?

IMG_8279.jpeg

Well, I hit a MIGHTY 82 mph... LOL

Yeah, not too fast. Dodged rain here too. As for the speed, was mostly trying to keep it between the ditches, rather than go for a PB. Vid is in my thread, for anyone that wants a boring slow speed run vid. :)

I feel for you fellow speedrunners with the rain and all.. but I'm happy I live in LA where its currently sunny and 76 degrees!
I did a quick run on Sunday again using foams and continued to learn about them.. I ran on them at my usual spot last week and did 125mph without pushing it, and had good traction. Sunday I ran foams again at a different road, one dirtier and rougher and I couldn't get past about 100mph or so without the car fishtailing around. There was no point running at all. Also the road surface cut slight pieces out of two of the foams from running on it. Lesson learned, don't run foams unless your on the right road for it

I feel for you fellow speedrunners with the rain and all.. but I'm happy I live in LA where its currently sunny and 76 degrees!
I did a quick run on Sunday again using foams and continued to learn about them.. I ran on them at my usual spot last week and did 125mph without pushing it, and had good traction. Sunday I ran foams again at a different road, one dirtier and rougher and I couldn't get past about 100mph or so without the car fishtailing around. There was no point running at all. Also the road surface cut slight pieces out of two of the foams from running on it. Lesson learned, don't run foams unless your on the right road for it
Always the sensible but tough choice to pack up and head home whilst the car is still intact.

Ok, so my old pb was 70 mph, and today I hit 79 mph. Here's the thing. At no point did I hit full throttle so there's still a ways to go on my stock BLX system and the new 46t spur and 25t pinion. Problem is, I was already scared sh!tless while getting up to 3/4 throttle and had to keep backing off. Plus, I'm still using the cheap Amazon tires, which I realize now, will make things get squirrely in a heat beat. So now starts the quest for a better runway, so when the GRP's show up, we can have a real go at a top speed. It's insane how fast this thing was going when I got to this speed. I don't know how you all do it.
GH020027-2_Moment.jpg

25/46 with 98mm GRP tires should be good for 80mph on 6s (2050kv) and offer a lot more stability over the nonbelted tires you’re running.

How fast do you want to go on the stock system?

You have a few options for gearing after 80 that depend on if you want to keep a center diff in the car or go to a spool.

25/46 with 98mm GRP tires should be good for 80mph on 6s (2050kv) and offer a lot more stability over the nonbelted tires you’re running.

How fast do you want to go on the stock system?

You have a few options for gearing after 80 that depend on if you want to keep a center diff in the car or go to a spool.
I'll try to manage 80 and hold it straight for a longer pass. Not sure if faster is better. Check my latest post in "what did you break today"?
Don't blink

@Notorious J you are dipping your toes into an expensive side of the hobby :ROFLMAO:

The stock BLX system is capable of getting you into the mid 90's no problem. Honestly doing that was some of the most fun I had, but of course we always want more once you catch the speed bug. ?

@Notorious J you are dipping your toes into an expensive side of the hobby :ROFLMAO:

The stock BLX system is capable of getting you into the mid 90's no problem. Honestly doing that was some of the most fun I had, but of course we always want more once you catch the speed bug. ?
You think speed is the expensive side of the hobby lol! You need to see what I've invested in my Notorious to make it a true sending machine! The hobby is expensive in all aspects, and I plan on trying a little bit of many parts. Just happy to have the Arrma Forum as a great resource. 90 mph you say...............?

Put new Hoon Whites on the Typhon today. Was really hoping to break that 80 mph barrier, but looks like 79 mph is where its gonna stick with 25p 46s on the 2050 kv. Put a 30 x 30 Rocket 28000 rpm fan on the esc and that made a huge difference in keeping things cool. I ordered a 4092 1650 kv motor in the hopes of taking it to the next level.
IMG_20201012_142700.jpg

Put new Hoon Whites on the Typhon today. Was really hoping to break that 80 mph barrier, but looks like 79 mph is where its gonna stick with 25p 46s on the 2050 kv. Put a 30 x 30 Rocket 28000 rpm fan on the esc and that made a huge difference in keeping things cool. I ordered a 4092 1650 kv motor in the hopes of taking it to the next level. View attachment 104210
Next level requires a better ESC. That 2050kv motor will get you to 120mph with an MMX8S or MAX6

You guys are a bad influence! I keep telling myself I don't need a speed runner, just want a parking lot basher, but all these personal bests are nagging at me in the middle of the night! :p:ROFLMAO:o_O

Put new Hoon Whites on the Typhon today. Was really hoping to break that 80 mph barrier, but looks like 79 mph is where its gonna stick with 25p 46s on the 2050 kv. Put a 30 x 30 Rocket 28000 rpm fan on the esc and that made a huge difference in keeping things cool. I ordered a 4092 1650 kv motor in the hopes of taking it to the next level.

Agree with Jon, all you need to go faster is more gearing. The BLX esc will get you into the mid 90's. An Castle ESC like the MM2 or MMX8s will take you past 100.
Also to prevent disaster with that pretty rig. Ditch the front bumper!!!!

1602537890710.png

Back