Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dammit, esc an motor still look all good.i use a 3d printed gnss protector I got off ebay.strapped to wing mount. Has made it throu lots of crashs👍

View attachment 177406

Did I win last month J.so the prize is a new vendetta huh.😆😅🤣😂
I use the same one and strap it in the same location. Must of took some serious impact. This is all I could find!🤷🏻‍♂️

image.jpg

You need to put this in the what did you break today thread!
Wasn’t my rig, just sharing!
Motor and ESC were good in both rigs that were wrecked yesterday.

My Typhon, shock rod end, rear axle, gps, and GRP’s are done. I was lucky, full throttle on 8s!
Logs didn’t look bad either. 👎🏼

The Limitless was a friends. It was bad, he actually snapped the shock tower. Might be better off getting another roller!🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Went out on Friday to check out a new road which is finally long enough. I had it in mind for quite a while but it's not the widest of roads so I refused to go there until now.
I kept it on the road and managed 129mph with the stock Infraction body and MMX8s. I'm sure it has more in it with the same gearing and a longer pull... just need to upgrade my radio range. The weather is getting colder so not the best time of the year to start speed running🤣 but it was still warm enough (54F).
IMG_1509.PNG

And the video:

Cleaned up and ordered $110 parts/gps! Hopefully be back out this weekend 🤞🏼 Another guy I was with yesterday, had a blowout and hit a guardrail at 120mph😮

View attachment 177388
Went out on Friday to check out a new road which is finally long enough. I had it in mind for quite a while but it's not the widest of roads so I refused to go there until now.
I kept it on the road and managed 129mph with the stock Infraction body and MMX8s. I'm sure it has more in it with the same gearing and a longer pull... just need to upgrade my radio range. The weather is getting colder so not the best time of the year to start speed running🤣 but it was still warm enough (54F).
View attachment 177425

And the video:
Threading the needle..awesomeness

Under 30 degrees?!?!?!?! I stopped once I stopped seeing 70 degrees
Shoot I would run in the 60’s for sure. Probably even down as low as 55F if it was calm and dry.

Shoot I would run in the 60’s for sure. Probably even down as low as 55F if it was calm and dry.
I'm just a wuss. I only like cold weather when I'm deer hunting. I play with crawlers and stuff from fall to spring. Spring through summer I speed run.

I'm just a wuss. I only like cold weather when I'm deer hunting. I play with crawlers and stuff from fall to spring. Spring through summer I speed run.
I understand we all have our limits.

153km/h with 34T and peakeater bar. Same setup as last post on page 151. 5 runs - could touch motor. Only 27 degrees Celcius after first run. Outside temp about 10 degrees Celsius.

ESC shut off. Think 40C batteries at their limit. Awful sound that shutting off.

Will go down to 30T and see what the setup does. Waiting for the 65C 5000mAH 6s Lipo that I want to be back in stock. Could take a few weeks.

What I do not like is that I do not know how much Amp the whole drive unit is pulling. Is the Max 6 already the bottleneck or the lipos.

153km/h with 34T and peakeater bar. Same setup as last post on page 151. 5 runs - could touch motor. Only 27 degrees Celcius after first run. Outside temp about 10 degrees Celsius.

ESC shut off. Think 40C batteries at their limit. Awful sound that shutting off.

Will go down to 30T and see what the setup does. Waiting for the 65C 5000mAH 6s Lipo that I want to be back in stock. Could take a few weeks.
What I do not like is that I do not know how much Amp the whole drive unit is pulling. Is the Max 6 already the bottleneck or the lipos.
What’s your setup?
ESC?
Motor?
Batteries?

Arrma Limitless
  • Max6 Combo 1650k
  • 6s 40C 5000mAH, two years old, 5,5mm JETI gold to XT90 adapter
  • 34T Pinion
  • 34T Spur
  • Tires: (GRP_GTX01-S3) 1:8 GT Tires S3
  • Servo: Savöx 1256TG SC
  • Futaba RC

Arrma Limitless
  • Max6 Combo 1650k
  • 6s 40C 5000mAH, two years old, 5,5mm JETI gold to XT90 adapter
  • 34T Pinion
  • 34T Spur
  • Tires: (GRP_GTX01-S3) 1:8 GT Tires S3
  • Servo: Savöx 1256TG SC
  • Futaba RC
I’m not a speed run pro by any means. I think the HW combo and bats are limiting you. Most that wanna go fast (speed runs) are using castle products. Also you are better off using 8mm bullets and or QS8 connectors. I own several of the Max6 1650kv combos, but I use them for bashing.

Once again, I’m no pro! Many others are sure to chime in. Good luck.

Yep the Max6 is the limit. Get a MMX8s or even better a XLX2 :)

Thanks for that MMX8s and XLX2 input. Had been looking at them. Not sure yet which kv and motors would be suitable for each ESC. Also not decided where I am going to take this.

Actually those 153km/h are pretty disappointing considering how fast my stock Infraction V2 went on the speed 25T pinion. Unfortunately the timing on the Max 6 is set.

Last edited:
Thanks for that MMX8s and XLX2 input. Had been looking at them. Not sure yet which kv and motors would be suitable for each ESC. Also not decided where I am going to take this.

Actually those 153km/h are pretty disappointing considering how fast my stock Infraction V2 went on the speed 25T pinion. Unfortunately the timing on the Max 6 is set.
Unfortunately there is not much more you can do. You can try it on 8s and then gear down a bit so the amp draw will be a bit less but I would recommend getting a Castle ESC if you are committed to speed running. The XLX2 is currently not available in Germany :(, hope they get them back in stock soon.
As for batteries I can recommend CHNL G+ 70C 5000/6000mah. These are without a doubt the best batteries in terms of value here in Germany. Sometimes they are on sale for 30€ or less..
Here is link:
3s: https://chinahobbyline.com/shop/det...g+plus6000mah11.1v3s70clipobatterywithec5plug
4s: https://chinahobbyline.com/shop/det...+plus6000mah14.8v4s70clipobatterywithxt90plug
Seems like they are only 27€ (and they even have coupons sometimes) that's really incredible :)

Have you disabled the low voltage cutoff on the Max 6?

Going for the Max5 and 200Amp instead of the 160 Max6 Amps. Before I smoke the Max6 I rather use it somewhere else.

Max5: 6s * 3,6 Volt *200 Amp is about 4,3 Kilowatt.

Max6: 6S *3,6 *160 Amp =3,4 Kilowatt.

Going on 8s for a short run is 5,7 Kilowatt when reaching 200Amp with the Max5 - margin to play with.
More than enough for some fun.

There is a thing that bothers me. Everything above 200km/h brings some serious tire issues and risk. Have trouble finding some foam tires here in Europe. The tires are a real downside to the Limitless speedruns. It just needs to be said.

Coming from RC planes one of the the cheapest way to get to 220km/h is a Ultra Multiplex Funjet. At the end of the speedrun you just pull up. Engine runtime is about 70 seconds. Most 6s Foamjets will also get to 200km/h. With gliders I have been in the 200mph area - mountains in Umbria Italy. Actually not that big of a deal: Enough height, vertical down, pull - enjoy. So I know speed is fun.

I hate wrecking a rc toy when material / components fail. If I mess up - fine, that's different. So I am really happy for every tire input.

Now another question. Is there any good reason against overgearing? Like 34T Pinion and 29T Spur. Yes sure the other way makes more sense but are there important reasons against overgearing in a Speedrunner that I missed?

Last edited:
Going for the Max5 and 200Amp instead of the 160 Max6 Amps. Before I smoke the Max6 I rather use it somewhere else.

Max5: 6s * 3,6 Volt *200 Amp is about 4,3 Kilowatt.

Max6: 6S *3,6 *160 Amp =3,4 Kilowatt.

Going on 8s for a short run is 5,7 Kilowatt when reaching 200Amp with the Max5. More margin to play with.
More than enough for some fun.

Now another question. Is there any good reason against overgearing? Like 34T Pinion and 29T Spur. Yes sure the other way makes more sense but are there important reasons against overgearing in a Speedrunner that I missed?
It will kick in amp limiting on the Hobbywing ESC much quicker

Back