Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once downforce locks the car in it’s not as big of a deal. Until then it’s nice to have a little travel. Just speculation on my part but I’d assume there’s a reason all the big dogs are running shocks.
Agreed. 💯 since you have taught me this. I had no problem before but now it’s prevalent to happening. I still have a little movement to absorb the road. Yet stiff enough that when I’m hitting 130s/140s I’m not dragging not squatting
I agree,hardly no one doesn't run shocks..from my experience an crashs,blowovers my roads do best w/o them..I do ALOT of runs,probly much more than most people so no shocks work best for me...any more when I crash from from petty stuff that I didn't do correctly or something outa my control like grps exploding or a blowover,or anyone of those shock issues an I can eliminate any of those petty things from happening I'll do it.ive stripped drop threads in aarms an droop pushed through arm an I crashed hard tearing up stuff.ive also had droops slide off chassis ears during passes a few times an crashed hard,same with blowovers an now this season it
hasn't happened once..an all my cars went laser straight all season except my plastic chassis cars an there cheesy steering rack..I did have 1 blowover this season from hitting something in the road.i wouldn't preach anything I didn't think improved my game..I'm 100% certain it helped me tremendously for my cars on my roads all season.i had far less crashs running faster doing well over 300 passes this season .improved my pb by 22mph in 1 month with zero crashs an about 25 hits with 1 car I couldn't control over 130 the previous yr. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️it worked for me I imagine it would work for others...although I'm right about 49% of the time on everything🤣😂
This!?! This was far from being straight or stable. But end the end. Shocks vs turnbuckles. Some work better for others

🤣🤣🤣 I like that.
Seeing as how I have turnbuckles somewhere in a drawer, I think I'll give em a shot first.
You chris should test both an see what works best for you.i do sooo much comparison testing,cause I enjoy trying different stuff all the time..I'll never test the shock theory again...I only post a very small amount of my runs an testing.therws days during the season where I'll walk up the road 10+ times a day to run 100+mph an test multiple cars running multiple voltages .then go to spot an full send.think I'll count hits next season

You chris should test both an see what works best for you.i do sooo much comparison testing,cause I enjoy trying different stuff all the time..I'll never test the shock theory again...I only post a very small amount of my runs an testing.therws days during the season where I'll walk up the road 10+ times a day to run 100+mph an test multiple cars running multiple voltages .then go to spot an full send.think I'll count hits next season
And no….. I’m not saying anything bad about it. Stuff happens! But what you said. Test what works best for @chris adams! Might work great and might not!

Agreed. 💯 since you have taught me this. I had no problem before but now it’s prevalent to happening. I still have a little movement to absorb the road. Yet stiff enough that when I’m hitting 130s/140s I’m not dragging not squatting

This!?! This was far from being straight or stable. But end the end. Shocks vs turnbuckles. Some work better for others
You funny ,30 mph winds an running 116mph in a 5lb car half the size of your..pure stupidity on my part...shocks had nothing to do with that crash.maybe 5lb car,30mph winds an 116mph with my dumbazz behind the wheel

You funny ,30 mph winds an running 116mph in a 5lb car half the size of your..pure stupidity on my part...shocks had nothing to do with that crash.maybe 5lb car,30mph winds an 116mph with my dumbazz behind the wheel
I don’t really remember the wind speed, and I’m not exactly sure if this is a argument or whatever it may be, this isn’t the place to start. Starts wasting posts from the actual points. I just agree with @LicketySplit on the setups along with one shoe does not fit all?!?!? But either way. The video was aimed toward a joke and that’s it. It took you months to dial in your SWB to achieve what you been doing. I’ve never have degraded your setup.
But the fact is hopefully 🤞 doesn’t learn the hard way that’s it.

I don’t really remember the wind speed, and I’m not exactly sure if this is a argument or whatever it may be, this isn’t the place to start. Starts wasting posts from the actual points. I just agree with @LicketySplit on the setups along with one shoe does not fit all?!?!? But either way. The video was aimed toward a joke and that’s it. It took you months to dial in your SWB to achieve what you been doing. I’ve never have degraded your setup.
But the fact is hopefully 🤞 doesn’t learn the hard way that’s it.
Yup. It’s a hobby. If it works then it works. I tried turnbuckles and the car was bouncing everywhere so I gave up. Different strokes and all that.

If I had Slow RC Mike's road, I'd probably forego shocks as well. His road and weather looks like it came straight out of a fictional speed runner's utopia. A one size fits all setup doesn't exist when it comes to suspension and will always need to be tailored to the environment you have available. I like to have a fair amount of travel on the rear suspension, but locked off just shy of horizontal. On the front I have a few mm of travel and then locked off just shy of the chassis kissing the road. But that's just me. As always, YMMV. :)

If I had Slow RC Mike's road, I'd probably forego shocks as well. His road and weather looks like it came straight out of a fictional speed runner's utopia. A one size fits all setup doesn't exist when it comes to suspension and will always need to be tailored to the environment you have available. I like to have a fair amount of travel on the rear suspension, but locked off just shy of horizontal. On the front I have a few mm of travel and then locked off just shy of the chassis kissing the road. But that's just me. As always, YMMV. :)
Very true,SO many variables,100s come into play...every setup is completely different. If whatever your running is working,perfect.if not,then it's always something to try...getting these cars to go straight on higher volts is a must an if not tuned perfectly it'll get crashed...little to no time for much steering input into 150s an I imagine it'll happen extremely fast..136mph is my crash pb so I haven't experienced a 150+crash yet.but the sound,power of a 15000w,20hp hit crazy to experience.would love to see suspension vid during my 162 pass...car had a distinctive wheel-hop sound I've never heard it make..if solid links are causing wheel-hop then I imagine that's killing my speed similar to center shaft vibrations.also have heard this sound on plastic chassis cars under extreme power...for all I know what's keeping me from blowovers, an helping car go straight could also be causing wheel-hop-restriction holding me back🤷‍♂️

Very true,SO many variables,100s come into play...every setup is completely different. If whatever your running is working,perfect.if not,then it's always something to try...getting these cars to go straight on higher volts is a must an if not tuned perfectly it'll get crashed...little to no time for much steering input into 150s an I imagine it'll happen extremely fast..136mph is my crash pb so I haven't experienced a 150+crash yet.but the sound,power of a 15000w,20hp hit crazy to experience.would love to see suspension vid during my 162 pass...car had a distinctive wheel-hop sound I've never heard it make..if solid links are causing wheel-hop then I imagine that's killing my speed similar to center shaft vibrations.also have heard this sound on plastic chassis cars under extreme power...for all I know what's keeping me from blowovers, an helping car go straight could also be causing wheel-hop-restriction holding me back🤷‍♂️
While I obviously can't say with any certainty, but I think it stands to reason that solid links would, even if they're not the direct cause, at the very least aggravate wheel hop as there's no give in the suspension to absorb variations and changes in the surface they're passing over. As you run over a small bump, the upward acceleration imparted to the wheel would have nowhere to go without lifting up the car itself (we'll ignore for the moment that plastic or composite suspension components will, of course, have a little bit of flex that could absorb very small bumps and the like, I'm just speaking in generalities and simplifying the components in question to make it easier to understand).

But you correctly point to one of the key ingredients to successful speed running: a car that can go straight. Steering and all related components was the very first area of the car I set about improving when I started buying upgrade components. There are few things more frustrating than a car that won't go in the direction you're expecting consistently. "Consistently" being the key word here.

I'm certain links cause the wheel-hop..I'll keep pushing it this way till I have issues,then make changes..on 1st 8s 162 the wheelhop wasn't to bad yet.got some bracing ideas I wanna try.not sure how many volts your swb hobao will see,but if ya never ran a swb on 6s+++ your in for a treat...I've speedrun 3 chassis xlwb,lwb an swb an swb are by far more challenging to put the power down an go straight..here's a great vid of
the exact same wheel-hop I hear on 162 pass,just not this bad...:45 in this vid

I'm certain links cause the wheel-hop..I'll keep pushing it this way till I have issues,then make changes..on 1st 8s 162 the wheelhop wasn't to bad yet.got some bracing ideas I wanna try.not sure how many volts your swb hobao will see,but if ya never ran a swb on 6s+++ your in for a treat...I've speedrun 3 chassis xlwb,lwb an swb an swb are by far more challenging to put the power down an go straight..here's a great vid of
the exact same wheel-hop I hear on 162 pass,just not this bad...:45 in this vid
Yeah, that wasn't too bad.

As for how many volts the Hobao will see, I haven't really made a decision on that yet. I figured at least 6S and then see how it goes from there.

Very excited to see more swb cars being built,I've had a blast running mine,love how your body turned out an car sounded great on madion-voyage...was wondering how front body-tire clearance was on your 310×325mm dome ...I had issues with my 310×325mm fc100....regular typhon suspension would not work...track to wide so I had to use senton6 suspension on car to clear wheelwheels..it's more of a senton6 gt than a typhon gt.lol..the front looked a little tight on the habao.theres sooo many 310×325mm bodys to choose from.ill try alpha speed next..I imagine at higher speeds you'll also run into tire rub like i did,this fc100 body has so much downforce at speed,kinda just sucks to the ground..I'd say dome will be somewhat similar.

@Dan B. Once again thank you for the hook up on this motor,testing 4 big cans an the logs from them all geared at 145mph 8s...clean 8s hit today an ill have 3rd motor done.last an final motor to test will be tp5670-1010kv....hopefully wind won't be so extreme today an I can get a clean log from this motor at spot here in a little while...this 4Y has a unique sound to me compared to others so far.will post results after testing is complete.

Attachments

• 20221217_080443.jpg
    20221217_080443.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20221217-075424_GNSS PA.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217-075424_GNSS PA.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 23
You were definitely a contributing factor in my decision to get the VTE. Definitely piqued my interest in having a go at a SWB car anyways. I haven't had any issues with the body but, to be fair, I haven't gone past 80 yet. I do my best to consider maximum suspension compression when I cut and position the body...how well I did still remains to be seen. So on the following pics, the first pic is the suspension at rest, the second at full compression.
1671287394126.jpeg
1671287414100.jpeg

1671287440086.jpeg
1671287482425.jpeg

1671287514944.jpeg
1671287531069.jpeg

You were definitely a contributing factor in my decision to get the VTE. Definitely piqued my interest in having a go at a SWB car anyways. I haven't had any issues with the body but, to be fair, I haven't gone past 80 yet. I do my best to consider maximum suspension compression when I cut and position the body...how well I did still remains to be seen. So on the following pics, the first pic is the suspension at rest, the second at full compression.
View attachment 263205View attachment 263206

View attachment 263207View attachment 263208

View attachment 263210View attachment 263211
Kind of excited to see what you accomplish with the VTE.. I have one sitting still in a box under the bed…. For quite some time now. So I haven’t decided on building it yet.

Kind of excited to see what you accomplish with the VTE.. I have one sitting still in a box under the bed…. For quite some time now. So I haven’t decided on building it yet.
Get the lead out brother!! What are you waiting for? The VTE is tight man.

I've got a good feeling about this car. I think it's gonna go places.

Maybe next season. I’ve been too invested with both lims. Trying to max my limits first with them before starting a new project 😂

It will,being over 1lb lighter,smaller profile,an a shorter driveline with less speed killing vibrations,you'll see lower amp draw than 1/7..lower amp draw is the key to gearing higher than the 1/7 for a musher better mph while working those onyx packs less.swb is a win win in every category.you will blown away what 1lb less swb will do for ya..everyone will be building swb cars by next july.next season we should see some #'s..

It will,being over 1lb lighter,smaller profile,an a shorter driveline with less speed killing vibrations,you'll see lower amp draw than 1/7..lower amp draw is the key to gearing higher than the 1/7 for a musher better mph while working those onyx packs less.swb is a win win in every category.you will blown away what 1lb less swb will do for ya..everyone will be building swb cars by next july.next season we should see some #'s..
One pound? Try 3½lbs. But I've said it before and I'll say it again. Weight is a non-issue in terms of top speed. When it comes to acceleration, yes. There it is absolutely a factor because you have less mass to accelerate. But in terms of top speed? I really don't think so. The car has roughly the same surface area when viewed from the front, so there's no appreciable reduction in wind resistance. I've been thinking about picking up the SWB FC100 body to do an apples to apples comparison.
I do like the way the car drives though. It's obviously a lot more nimble with the short wheelbase. Should be a lot of fun at the track next summer. The Infraction feels like a stretch limo next to it now, lol.

Back