Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One pound? Try 3½lbs. But I've said it before and I'll say it again. Weight is a non-issue in terms of top speed. When it comes to acceleration, yes. There it is absolutely a factor because you have less mass to accelerate. But in terms of top speed? I really don't think so. The car has roughly the same surface area when viewed from the front, so there's no appreciable reduction in wind resistance. I've been thinking about picking up the SWB FC100 body to do an apples to apples comparison.
I do like the way the car drives though. It's obviously a lot more nimble with the short wheelbase. Should be a lot of fun at the track next summer. The Infraction feels like a stretch limo next to it now, lol.
From my testing with 7lb lightweight vendetta vs 9.2lb swb with both cars running exact same motor an esc..xlx2-tp4060-3480kv the differences in amp dram where astronomical.ran a best of 119mph on 3s with swb,an 124mph with detta.same 70c 6k g packs.absoluty exact same esc,packs, an motor in both cars.only difference between them is weight an body...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.did the exact same comparison on 4s an even a bigger spread till maxed out cheap packs on both cars...detta logs looked much better on every test an ran much faster..so it either weight or aerodynamic difference between bodys..physics say it takes more energy to move more weight.

From my testing with 7lb lightweight vendetta vs 9.2lb swb with both cars running exact same motor an esc..xlx2-tp4060-3480kv the differences in amp dram where astronomical.ran a best of 119mph on 3s with swb,an 124mph with detta.same 70c 6k g packs.absoluty exact same esc,packs, an motor in both cars.only difference between them is weight an body...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.did the exact same comparison on 4s an even a bigger spread till maxed out cheap packs on both cars...detta logs looked much better on every test an ran much faster..so it either weight or aerodynamic difference between bodys..physics say it takes more energy to move more weight.
Like I said, it will make a difference in how fast you can get to top speed, but not in the top speed itself. As for the current draw...unless you were using something like Perfect Pass that homogenizes your throttle input, there's really no way of telling if the amp draw wasn't caused by your trigger finger. When I look at the current spikes little twitches in my trigger pull cause, I find it difficult to think that it was something else. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just have reservations about the conclusion you're drawing from the logs.

However, to satisfy my own curiosity and to, hopefully, put a bookend on this topic, I'll test your hypothesis next season with my Infraction and VTE. No, it's not a perfect apples to apples comparison as the cars, though quite similar in their design and construction, will still have differences. But it should be close enough to get some data that's a little more conclusive. Well, it would be to me anyways. :)

Like I said, it will make a difference in how fast you can get to top speed, but not in the top speed itself. As for the current draw...unless you were using something like Perfect Pass that homogenizes your throttle input, there's really no way of telling if the amp draw wasn't caused by your trigger finger. When I look at the current spikes little twitches in my trigger pull cause, I find it difficult to think that it was something else. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just have reservations about the conclusion you're drawing from the logs.

However, to satisfy my own curiosity and to, hopefully, put a bookend on this topic, I'll test your hypothesis next season with my Infraction and VTE. No, it's not a perfect apples to apples comparison as the cars, though quite similar in their design and construction, will still have differences. But it should be close enough to get some data that's a little more conclusive. Well, it would be to me anyways. :)
I will add to this saying that the fastest 6S car (single motor) is a 1/10 at 179mph the 2nd fastest is a 1/10 at 173 you have to go to 5th place before you see a larger car, an Arrma 1/7. Also explain why the dual motor cars are only 10mph faster then the single motor cars if we don't consider weight and only are they should be doing 300mph or exploding trying. This is just my 2 cents.
Right now, it is the same temp there as it is here. it says 25 for you and it is 26 here. do you have snow?

Didn't anyone tell you people that speed run season is closed until at least mid March?
Nope.

19072732-2FB4-4E8E-9C7C-24D83FE698AD.png

I will add to this saying that the fastest 6S car (single motor) is a 1/10 at 179mph the 2nd fastest is a 1/10 at 173 you have to go to 5th place before you see a larger car, an Arrma 1/7. Also explain why the dual motor cars are only 10mph faster then the single motor cars if we don't consider weight and only are they should be doing 300mph or exploding trying. This is just my 2 cents.
1/10 scale cars are smaller and, because of this, have a much smaller frontal surface area and wind resistance. When you're getting into the 160s, 170s 180s and beyond, wind resistance becomes all consuming because, "...the amount of air that needs to be pushed out of the way is proportional to the speed, and the velocity change experienced by the displaced air will be proportional to the speed. Therefore the resistance is proportional to the square of the speed." I don't think this has anything to do with the respective car's weights. I'd be surprised if it was down to anything other than wind resistance.

I also think that running a smaller car like that at such high speeds requires a disproportionately higher skill level than doing it with a 1/7 scale. As I'm sure @K-BASH can confirm, smaller and lighter cars are much more difficult to keep on the road.

As for the dual motor question...speed doesn't scale with power because of the way air affects objects that are moving through it at high velocities. The Bugatti Veyron was an excellent demonstration of how much additional power was required to make a car go faster at the upper end of the register. And just some speculation on my part...dual motor setups require twice the components and at some point you're just going to run out of room. With a single motor running 8S parallel configurations is possible, which will help in terms of voltage sag. There's no way you could get dual 8S parallel setups into a 1/7 scale car. I don't have any first hand experience to confirm my hypothesis, but I'd suspect that dual motor rigs will suffer greater voltage sag. But like said, that's just speculative.

From my observations it appears that we've reached a technology bottleneck in the 190-205mph vicinity. I'm talking about the tires. Shawn destroys between two and four foams on every pass beyond 185-190mph plus the diff input bearings. I'm still in awe of what has become possible with off the shelf RC cars and upgrade components.

Right now, it is the same temp there as it is here. it says 25 for you and it is 26 here. do you have snow?
No snow, but everything is covered in several days worth of frost so it kinda looks like it snowed even though it didn't. I've still been out driving though. A few days ago it looked like the backdrop from the movie/video game Silent Hill here. It looked pretty epic.

1/10 scale cars are smaller and, because of this, have a much smaller frontal surface area and wind resistance. When you're getting into the 160s, 170s 180s and beyond, wind resistance becomes all consuming because, "...the amount of air that needs to be pushed out of the way is proportional to the speed, and the velocity change experienced by the displaced air will be proportional to the speed. Therefore the resistance is proportional to the square of the speed." I don't think this has anything to do with the respective car's weights. I'd be surprised if it was down to anything other than wind resistance.

I also think that running a smaller car like that at such high speeds requires a disproportionately higher skill level than doing it with a 1/7 scale. As I'm sure @K-BASH can confirm, smaller and lighter cars are much more difficult to keep on the road.

As for the dual motor question...speed doesn't scale with power because of the way air affects objects that are moving through it at high velocities. The Bugatti Veyron was an excellent demonstration of how much additional power was required to make a car go faster at the upper end of the register. And just some speculation on my part...dual motor setups require twice the components and at some point you're just going to run out of room. With a single motor running 8S parallel configurations is possible, which will help in terms of voltage sag. There's no way you could get dual 8S parallel setups into a 1/7 scale car. I don't have any first hand experience to confirm my hypothesis, but I'd suspect that dual motor rigs will suffer greater voltage sag. But like said, that's just speculative.

From my observations it appears that we've reached a technology bottleneck in the 190-205mph vicinity. I'm talking about the tires. Shawn destroys between two and four foams on every pass beyond 185-190mph plus the diff input bearings. I'm still in awe of what has become possible with off the shelf RC cars and upgrade components.

No snow, but everything is covered in several days worth of frost so it kinda looks like it snowed even though it didn't. I've still been out driving though. A few days ago it looked like the backdrop from the movie/video game Silent Hill here. It looked pretty epic.
Another thing I've noticed with running swb is far less maintenance wear an tear...I used to have to go over every screw on car,They seam to just stay together better..shows on centershaft pins.i ran into the 140s with stock typhon centershafts.i only upgrade because the pins where wearing down fast,replaced a few input gear bearings,but zero bearing failures useing stock housings.the 100s in shafts an housings not necessarily till 140s.my car has been very consistent an reliable.much different case than my lwb an xlwb experiences.

This is the abridged version of the run. The full run is posted in the 4s challenge thread.
134 on 4s in an open wheel typhon is beyond anything I imagined possible when I bought my typhon in February. Big thanks to @slow rc mike
for helping me out a ton lately and @K-BASH for really getting me started in the right direction.

Screenshot_20221217-152223_GNSS PA.jpg

@
This is the abridged version of the run. The full run is posted in the 4s challenge thread.
134 on 4s in an open wheel typhon is beyond anything I imagined possible when I bought my typhon in February. Big thanks to @slow rc mike
for helping me out a ton lately and @K-BASH for really getting me started in the right direction.

View attachment 263319
Awesome!!! Oh, and here’s where the spacers go.
image.jpg

@Dan B. Once again thank you for the hook up on this motor,testing 4 big cans an the logs from them all geared at 145mph 8s...clean 8s hit today an ill have 3rd motor done.last an final motor to test will be tp5670-1010kv....hopefully wind won't be so extreme today an I can get a clean log from this motor at spot here in a little while...this 4Y has a unique sound to me compared to others so far.will post results after testing is complete.
You are welcome sir, you just pushed that motor a lot faster than I ever would have, at least in the foreseeable future. You‘re right too, it sounds different than some of the other TP’s I’ve heard on the videos. Too cool for school, man. Nice run!
Did you ever get to make an 8s hit?

You are welcome sir, you just pushed that motor a lot faster than I ever would have, at least in the foreseeable future. You‘re right too, it sounds different than some of the other TP’s I’ve heard on the videos. Too cool for school, man. Nice run!
Did you ever get to make an 8s hit?
No unfortunately not,cold an wind came in yesterday, wind chill in the teens,wind gos right through cloths.SUCKS

This is the dumbest rule. Who really cares? A fast pass is a fast pass whether you drive it back or crash it.
Agreed
Didn't anyone tell you people that speed run season is closed until at least mid March?
Don't people live in different climates? Didn't realize there was a special season to do speed passes .I just assumed as long as it's not to cold for you it's ok to go out and get that pass in..it was 30 degrees last night and there I was doing some passes . freezing my bizalls .🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Agreed

Don't people live in different climates? Didn't realize there was a special season to do speed passes .I just assumed as long as it's not to cold for you it's ok to go out and get that pass in..it was 30 degrees last night and there I was doing some passes . freezing my bizalls .🤣🤣🤣
From what I have heard the wheels like it the warmer it is, also if (when) you crash the warmer it is, the more the plastic flexes = less breakage.

New 2S PB today with an infraction gt.
Got a cell crapping out on me. I threw some foams on I has to up the top speed and picked up 5mph. I might have a legit shot at 100 on 2s.

Screenshot_20221218-125319_GNSS PA.jpg

20221218_134633.jpg

Back