Speed Runners ~ How Fast Did You Go Today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it was a good idea, but mine still cogs with the sensor wire unplugged. Back to the drawing board. Here is a log from the sensorless cogging pull. Says 123k RPM. That would be a good starting point where the data is not right.

So without a sensor cable it gets even worse. Time to ask castle for advise. There is definately something causing a bad registration of the poles/rpms

So without a sensor cable it gets even worse. Time to ask castle for advise. There is definately something causing a bad registration of the poles/rpms
I have an email out to them, we will see what they say. I’m going to motor swap it today with the Leopard motor I was using in the Typhon recently. It worked great on the MAX8, but I swapped it for the TP4070. Never had issues with that setup so if the problem goes away, I know it’s the 1717-1260. If it stays it’s the ESC.

OK, so here is another update. I swapped in my Leopard 4275 2200kv motor from the Typhon (that worked great with the MAX8) and it still cogs badly with the MMX8S.

Logs still showing 129k RPM again and a very strange pattern in the graph.

Drag Infraction Cogging Hit Leopard Hobby 4275 2200kv 8S 13p46s.png

OK, so here is another update. I swapped in my Leopard 4275 2200kv motor from the Typhon (that worked great with the MAX8) and it still cogs badly with the MMX8S.

Logs still showing 129k RPM again and a very strange pattern in the graph.
The ESC has gone bad. If the same motor works smoothly on another ESC but bad on this MMX8s then we know it is the ESC.

The ESC has gone bad. If the same motor works smoothly on another ESC but bad on this MMX8s then we know it is the ESC.
This is the third MMX8S that has done this. At what point do we say not to use the MMX8S?

This is the third MMX8S that has done this. At what point do we say not to use the MMX8S?
Yours is way more extreme and the third mmx8s apearantly, but in @Edough13 case it's a XLX2.
They both share the same architecture, so it could be a shared problem. All guesses. I am mostly curious what castle will say. If this is your third time, castle should take it serious. Certainly investigate what you do to make it occure...

My personal recommendation would be to only use the Castle ESCs for speed running.

Anything like drag use or bashing stick with a Max6 or Max5 ESC. They should remain reliable and not suffer from amp limiting in those scenarios.

My personal recommendation would be to only use the Castle ESCs for speed running.

Anything like drag use or bashing stick with a Max6 or Max5 ESC. They should remain reliable and not suffer from amp limiting in those scenarios.
I spoke with Jason @ Castle today and sent him logs and clips for him to check into. He seemed willing to help. I will follow up after he responds.

I spoke with Jason @ Castle today and sent him logs and clips for him to check into. He seemed willing to help. I will follow up after he responds.
I hope they can help you.
With all the issues with motors and ESCs lately I am loosing the faith

I hope they can help you.
With all the issues with motors and ESCs lately I am loosing the faith
I also received an email response from Joe @ Castle and he is also taking a look. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

I also received an email response from Joe @ Castle and he is also taking a look. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.
Ask for Robert.. 😂

Fan of Joe here, he's always been very helpful and thorough.

I do wonder if drag use launches are putting a specific stress on these 'speedrun' esc's

Fan of Joe here, he's always been very helpful and thorough.

I do wonder if drag use launches are putting a specific stress on these 'speedrun' esc's
Well I just put a MAX6 in its place to make some test hits.

741F7E65-685E-408A-B542-3B672BA8E704.jpeg

Looks good, I didn't realize the SRD 150c packs were released finally.
How to explain to the wife I need $300+ for 2 batteries 🤔
Good thing I don’t have one of those 🤣🤘🏻🤫

I received a reply for Joe at Castle and they want the MMX8S back for in depth testing. They admit there is something fishy going on.

Good thing I don’t have one of those 🤣🤘🏻🤫

I received a reply for Joe at Castle and they want the MMX8S back for in depth testing. They admit there is something fishy going on.
Too bad they wont cover the many motors this ESC destroyed also....

I asked James earlier today about the new SMC battery and he indicated for his testing it was not as strong (low voltage drop) as the original True Spec Extreme V2 150c 6400mAh packs.

Curious to see how your testing goes. My expectation is that it will still outperform the others in your line up.

Too bad they wont cover the many motors this ESC destroyed also....

I asked James earlier today about the new SMC battery and he indicated for his testing it was not as strong (low voltage drop) as the original True Spec Extreme V2 150c 6400mAh packs.

Curious to see how your testing goes. My expectation is that it will still outperform the others in your line up.
I’m about to go do some drag hits with the Infraction with the Yowoo and SRD packs head to head

Back