Limitless Speed Runners - Reading Castle Data Logs and ESC Settings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LibertyMKiii

Aerodynamics speed junkie
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Mojave
  3. Typhon 6s
Hi fellow RC speed runners,

We seem to have a surge of speed runners lately on the forum (love it)
There has been a need for a place of learning related to Castle Creations ESC settings and reading data logs.

This is a place for you to share settings logs and opinions. (I'd like to see this become a sticky in the Speed Runners section)
By no means will I cover all topics but hoping others can jump in with their questions and suggestions.

Settings:

1. Drag Brake

If you have not already heard about drag brake I believe this is an important one. The idea is that if for some reason the radio lost connection to the car the ESC would automatically apply the brakes at some set percentage. It takes some getting used to driving with this setting, but in my humble opinion this is a must for a speed run car.

2. Brake %
When running an aggressive gearing you will loose braking power significantly. At the same time braking at the end of a 100+mph run is sensitive to say the least. It is easy to upset the balance of the car by applying the brakes too hard at those speeds. You will need to find what settings you like for your car, but in general I hear braking % in the 30-50% range. Many also brake slowly to avoid further heating the motor after an intense 100% throttle application.

3. Throttle /Braking curve:
I have found the throttle curve worked more smoothly setting it up in the ESC versus using an expo curve on the transmitter. 8s can be a little sensitive in the low throttle input ranges and often you might find it beneficial to create a curve to reduce this low throttle input "jumpy-ness". For 8s I often use something similar to the diagram bellow's Expo 1 line.
Expo throttle.JPG

4. Motor Timing:
An interesting thing that I learned is that the motor timing is dynamic. The ESC is using an algorithm based on the RPM and back EMF of the motor to determine what to do with the timing to create the best performance. The default on the Castle ESCs is set at 10 degrees timing. 10 degrees is ideal for Y-wind motors which is all that Castle Creations sells. TP Power motors are often D wind although they do offer Y-wind also. Ideally a D-wind motor should be set at Zero timing.
The interesting part to me is that if you leave the ESC set on 10 degrees it may stay at actual zero timing and never hit 10. The ESC controls that!
Ultimately you should run the car, check motor temps, record the data, and compare the values to different settings on the ESC to see what works best for your car/motor/gearing/esc/batteries.
In my specific test with a TP 4050 3840kv D wind motor (data in the below chart) my tests indicated that 0 degrees timing setting lost speed. Temps were not too high initially so this was a negative impact adjustment in my scenario.

5. Low voltage cut off (LVC)
This should be disabled for a speed runner. When the voltage sags and hits LVC, the ESC will cut the power output reducing your speed.

Data Logging

Not all Castle ESCs offer data logging. For example the MM2 does not.
Common models that do offer logging are the XLX, MMX8s, MMX6s, and XLX2

There are many data values that can be logged in the ESC and you can adjust the sample rate. Ideally you want a high sample rate to see the most detail.
Another thing worth noting that @robert@castle shared with us is related to the gearing input in the logs.
Ideally you should leave this on the default which is 1:1 (I'd have to go back and look)
The reason relates back to when the logging software was created. It was originally created for RC helicopters and the gearing changes the shaft/rotor speed. For car applications this means you are reading the center dog bones RPMs and not the motor rpms. Leaving the setting on 1:1 shows the correct motor RPMs in the logs.

This is an example of a 2s run with the Arrma Limitless:
Limitless 70 mph 2s.JPG

Tip :
There is a way to zoom into the logs while not chopping off the values at the top of the screen (see post #13 below). If you clip the values off at the top it will skew the value numbers shown on the bottom bar of the screen. I will have to look later when at home, but I believe this setting is in the view options, and something related to horizontal axis. So for example usually one of the highest visual lines on the graph is light blue representing the power output. When you zoom in and that value no longer shows 100% it is related to the view settings.

Another one is to not have "smoothing" enabled. This will also skew data values slightly.

What to look at?
Ripple voltage is of concern. Too high of Ripple would indicate the need for an external cap pack. If the ESC is trying to do its job of converting battery voltage to different outputs to the 3 wires that lead into the motor, it will struggle to do its job when the voltage source if jumping around due to "ripple".
Higher quality batteries, good wire, and connectors all play parts in this also.

The Next Key 3 values to review are the RPMs, Voltage, and Amperage.
Amperage generally spikes during initial acceleration, you will always see the amperage value move back down once you reach full throttle and hold it solid for a few seconds.
A smoother and longer throttle pull to 100% will help reduce this spike in amperage. This should net a higher voltage during your run and allow for more RPMs and speed!!!!! (this is the concept behind Raz's perfect pass and the Noble NB4's throttle control feature)

RPMs are good to know but amperage is generally the driver when it comes to gearing change determination. Do not assume that the voltage at that moment and the RPMS = KV. The motors KV rating is unloaded. The logs are showing loaded RPMs which are always different.

Voltage sag is very normal and this is where great batteries make a difference. On this car changing from Zeee Amazon 2s packs over to SMC V2 6400mAh packs netted a 6 to 8 mph gain! (variations in run quality human error)

Amperage is really the reading of where the setup is at and how much further you can push it. It is worth noting that not all the Castle ESC read the same. The MMX8s peaks at 399a reading although it can push past that, the readings just stop there. The XLX2? Not sure.... I have seen logs past 600 amps!!!!!!!

If your logs show amperage peaks in the 200's you have lots of room to grow. 300's mean that its getting up there and you should be going pretty fast. 400+ is when the peak is near and you need to start watching ESC and motor temps closely.

Along with data logs comes a good way to record the data. I like to read peak values as well as values noted during the peak rpm point. This can be captured via holding your mouse over that peak rpm point.

Example of my data recording for the Limitless on 2s:

1617982095115.png

2s Runsvoltage atMax VMPHCalc MPH @Watts @MaxPeak RPM
DateSPDiffFDcellspeak rpmdropRippleSKYRC MPH3v per cellPeak rpmPeak RPMAmbient F.Motor F.ESC TempAMPSAmpsbatteryMotorESCTimingConnecRun NotesConcernsConclusions
11/20/2034272.83.532s6.30.157074.912942304473953192052x zee 2sTP4050 3817kvMMX8s10xt150No issuesslow acceleration
11/22/2034292.83.282s6.30.157180.414952148370953712382x zee 2sTP4050 3817kvMMX8s10xt150No issuesslow acceleration
11/26/2034342.82.82s5.95.60.67594.315891933270951423992692x zee 2sTP4050 3817kvMMX8s10xt150No issuesFinally held full throttle for solid 4 secs
12/08/2034342.82.82s6.76.20.128194.3293420876651101513993192x SMC V2 6400 mAh packsTP4050 3817kvMMX8s10QS8No issuesFirst time with new SMC batts
12/21/2034372.82.572s6.660.118610322642030769108151.93993402x SMC V2 6400 mAh packsTP4050 3817kvMMX8s10QS8No issuesMaxed out this gearing
01/04/2134372.82.572s6.55.80.18410323571978465901443993402x SMC V2 6400 mAh packsTP4050 3817kvMMX8s0QS8No issuesNew GT nose and 0 degrees timing

2 Cell running is VERY different and you should not attempt such aggressive gearing when using higher voltages.
Always start out with a conservative setup and work your way up slowly watching what the data does!

BTW if anyone has interest in playing with 2s speed running my advice would be to try a larger motor like a TP4070 or 1/5 scale motor to gain torque/efficiency. That would have been my next move if I had interest in more 2s runs.

Last edited:
Bravo. Thanks for sharing.
I should really get into this after years of just throwing it out there and squeezing the trigger like a fkin maniac.

If I could add my 2¢ on ripple voltage, Castle Creations recommends you keep it below 10% of your overall voltage. 5% is even better, but that’s typically only attainable with the most recent generation of Castle ESCs. You can calculate your ripple % by finding the point of maximum ripple on your graph, dividing that by your battery voltage at the same point, then multiplying by 100 to go from fractional to percentage. For this log, my ripple % would be 2.32V ÷ 22.5V X 100 = 10.31% which is a little high for my liking.

Ripple voltage should also start to decline after about 50%-75% throttle is applied. I have not seen any data on what reducing ripple actually does besides give the ESC a bigger buffer of protection against burning up. Does it increase top speed, decrease temperature, affect voltage sag, etc.? I will be doing some runs this year specifically to compare the presence or absence of a cap pack, but I would love to hear anyone else’s experiences. I will also be doing some comparison runs with and without Raz's "Perfect Pass" module to see the effect on the logs and top speeds of identical setups.

Ripple Voltage Calculation.jpg

If I could add my 2¢ on ripple voltage, Castle Creations recommends you keep it below 10% of your overall voltage. 5% is even better, but that’s typically only attainable with the most recent generation of Castle ESCs. You can calculate your ripple % by finding the point of maximum ripple on your graph, dividing that by your battery voltage at the same point, then multiplying by 100 to go from fractional to percentage. For this log, my ripple % would be 2.32V ÷ 22.5V X 100 = 10.31% which is a little high for my liking.

Ripple voltage should also start to decline after about 50%-75% throttle is applied. I have not seen any data on what reducing ripple actually does besides give the ESC a bigger buffer of protection against burning up. Does it increase top speed, decrease temperature, affect voltage sag, etc.? I will be doing some runs this year specifically to compare the presence or absence of a cap pack, but I would love to hear anyone else’s experiences. I will also be doing some comparison runs with and without Raz's "Perfect Pass" module to see the effect on the logs and top speeds of identical setups.
My personal opinion is that a cap pack will not add any speed. The amperage available from them is not enough to turn the motor 1 rotation. It is purely a filter to smooth out the high and low peaks of the voltage input (reducing stress on the ESC).

Looking forward to your test results as this often comes up in discussions.

My personal opinion is that a cap pack will not add any speed. The amperage available from them is not enough to turn the motor 1 rotation. It is purely a filter to smooth out the high and low peaks of the voltage input (reducing stress on the ESC).

Looking forward to your test results as this often comes up in discussions.
I more meant "add speed" in a roundabout way by improving other parts of the system and giving the ESC less to worry about. But I have no idea, hence the tests!

I more meant "add speed" in a roundabout way by improving other parts of the system and giving the ESC less to worry about. But I have no idea, hence the tests!

It certainly is possible as it could allow the ESC to run slightly better. I am always interested in seeing tests/data.
The problem I foresee is that if the benefit is 2 mph that could be lost in run variations run to run. Hopefully your tests net differences big enough to "see" (y)

Follow up to my prior post about how to zoom into a run.

In this example my log has multiple spots on it where you can see something occurred.
In this situation it is pretty clear to see that the 2nd and 3rd are the speed runs and I know that my 1st actual run was the fast one, so that is the one to zoom into (the spike on the graph before it was me warming up the GRP tires a bit before the run)

Logs 1 Capture.PNG

For what it is worth the car has 21k uF worth of cap pack SMC 6400 mAh V2 parallel 2s batteries. For this setup ripple seems un-avoidable.

Here is the setting to enable prior to zooming into a run.

vertical axis locked.png

Then using the mouse click and drag a box over the run you want to zoom in to. You can do this multiple times till you get a clear picture of the run.
This is my best on 2s with the Limitless of 86 mph. (It probably could have done 90-92 with other gearing but I lost interest)

Here I took a screen shot while the mouse is over the peak RPM point. You will notice I was pulling fairly high amps even at this point when typically the amps fall back down to a normal level. When zoomed in this deep you can more easily see that I held full throttle for around 4 seconds. You may also notice that the rpms were steadily increasing and then were nearing a parallel to the throttle line below it. A longer run would net a higher speed (at the risk of more heat), but I think it was very near its peak speed for this gearing. (I removed the ripple, aHours, and power out lines to reduce the clutter)

Zoomed Capture.PNG

You might notice the power surge above 8.4v (fully charged 2s) occurred as the amperage came up nearing full throttle. Fairly odd behavior? I cant really explain it.
I do know that people over charge batteries when going for 2s, 3s, and 4s runs. From what I heard any top shelf lipo can handle being charged to specs normally used for Li-HV packs. (be very cautious if trying this)

Another nugget of advice for peak performance when looking for those last few mph. Batteries perform best when warm (up around 110 F.
I have 2 of these and they work great https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-programmable-lipo-battery-warmer-bag-12v-dc.html

Last edited:
I'm honestly at Awe.
Seeing a 2S battery produce that amount of speed really is interesting.
Obviously KV and Gearing come into play.
Personally I'm very excited to see these posts.
Awesome Job
Thank you
Low voltage is fun it its own way. I enjoyed the 2s running for a while. There is an interesting speed "challenge" going on right now. I believe they are calling it the Ripple killer 4s challenge. Guys are in the mid to upper 120's right now on 4s with the Limitless. Very impressive for that low of voltage.

It certainly is possible as it could allow the ESC to run slightly better. I am always interested in seeing tests/data.
The problem I foresee is that if the benefit is 2 mph that could be lost in run variations run to run. Hopefully your tests net differences big enough to "see" (y)
I agree. In addition, if your ripple voltage is not enough to give you the extra 2 volts, it's always better if you don't have to use them. As you know, they do make the car better, they repair the damage the filtering capacitors cause when they discharge current and must be "recharged". Summary to the layman - Ripple current = Robbing you of voltage until the cap-pack recharges from the main supply (less than a second).

I would like to add one tip to this thread. If you want to clean your log and start fresh in the field just turn off the ESC, press the Tx trigger in reverse and start the ESC, you'll hear the "normal" start beeps, keep the trigger pressed and in a few seconds you will hear a long beep, at that moment the log will be empty. This is good when you are testing your rig first and when doing a pass you don't want the log full of crap and just having the speed pass logged.

I would like to add one tip to this thread. If you want to clean your log and start fresh in the field just turn off the ESC, press the Tx trigger in reverse and start the ESC, you'll hear the "normal" start beeps, keep the trigger pressed and in a few seconds you will hear a long beep, at that moment the log will be empty. This is good when you are testing your rig first and when doing a pass you don't want the log full of crap and just having the speed pass logged.
Yep that’s the first thing I do before starting my passes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back