Speedrun Custom Wheels // 250+ MPH

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well there isn't a substitution for glue at the moment..can't speed run with crawler rims lol ..no bead lock , but maybey a stitched up rubber tire to the rim ?🤔like a ⚾.I mean I see pictures of baseballs getting wacked at over 100 mph curve balls and still intact.🤷
My hockey puck wheel is sounding better and better everyday 🤣🤣

It would be easy enough to turn the middle out of a hockey puck and bolt (with screws nuts) a hub. Maybe a 2-piec hub that sandwiches the hockey doughnut.

It would be easy enough to turn the middle out of a hockey puck and bolt (with screws nuts) a hub. Maybe a 2-piec hub that sandwiches the hockey doughnut.
Yes .I have a few ways to go about it .I I only wish hockey pucks were a little wider

..can't speed run with crawler rims lol ..no bead lock
Why not?
Granted I did note a redesigned beadlock that should take care of the main two problems regular beadlocks present. Beadlocks were actually made and are used by 1:1 speed runners. The only distinct different in our application is we are not running low pressure tires. If we can have a thicker notched and grooved tire lip that corresponds with a notched and grooved beadlock then it won't pull itself out and it won't freespin within the tire. The more I think about this, the more I wish I had a machine shop and the skills to make it happen. M2C had the right idea with their new solid rubber tires that slip over Hoon rims. They only aren't suitable for speed runs because of the limitations of the glue and the rim material. So ditch the glue and make a stronger rim and redesign that solid rubber tire.
BTW, hockey pucks are hard vulcanized rubber. I imagine they would need to be made alot softer to give adequate grip or need weight to get grip. I could be wrong here but until someone tries.........

Why not?
Granted I did note a redesigned beadlock that should take care of the main two problems regular beadlocks present. Beadlocks were actually made and are used by 1:1 speed runners. The only distinct different in our application is we are not running low pressure tires. If we can have a thicker notched and grooved tire lip that corresponds with a notched and grooved beadlock then it won't pull itself out and it won't freespin within the tire. The more I think about this, the more I wish I had a machine shop and the skills to make it happen. M2C had the right idea with their new solid rubber tires that slip over Hoon rims. They only aren't suitable for speed runs because of the limitations of the glue and the rim material. So ditch the glue and make a stronger rim and redesign that solid rubber tire.
BTW, hockey pucks are hard vulcanized rubber. I imagine they would need to be made alot softer to give adequate grip or need weight to get grip. I could be wrong here but until someone tries.........
Hey maybe a bead lock wheel might work 🤷
I'm definitely not dogging any ideas here .they are all good ones until proven other wise.👍the hockey puck idea was just a joke but then started to think of it more and more .issue I see is like you said to hard of a material and to me the puck is not wide enough ,and too thick.If it could be trued down and widen the surface pad id like the thought.im still going to try .if anything maybey a great idea for hours of endless drifting fun for my KRATON😁👍

Yes sirrrr😁👍 30k Rpm 🤔 no way that's for amateurs.ima spin the wheel at 50k RPM.
Good point !!!!

... I have TP4060CM and can spin 78kRPM ;-) ... can be test away from home - and launch remotelly by radio from long long distance ;-)

Most easy install direct motor with 8mm axle ;-) but this is only 53k RPM ;-)

Whell test on real road - TEST PASS

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1641915416068313/permalink/3481643275428842/?mibextid=oMANbw

and screen for who have not FACEBOOK

1697369523676.png

What would be nice to see is how they are reacting at full throttle. We know the aluminum won't react like the plastic/composite wheels but how is the tire on the wheel reacting? For sure, you are on to something great with those custom wheels. I can't state anything in regards to your rig, it's setup, and it's capabilities but you need one of the more serious speed guys put those on their rig and try. You are definitely on to something great here. What is the thickness of the aluminum barrel of the wheel?

So I just got an idea. What about an aluminum belted tire that you can secure to the rim with tiny m3 screws from the inside? The aluminum belt has say 4 equally distant threaded holes.

What would be nice to see is how they are reacting at full throttle. We know the aluminum won't react like the plastic/composite wheels but how is the tire on the wheel reacting? For sure, you are on to something great with those custom wheels. I can't state anything in regards to your rig, it's setup, and it's capabilities but you need one of the more serious speed guys put those on their rig and try. You are definitely on to something great here. What is the thickness of the aluminum barrel of the wheel?
In YT you have link about car config, 21horse power can pull from battery.

This is not designed whell for Drag Race, not intended to start immediately... but I test drag start and XLX2 is reseting=overloading to big innertia of whell

That is serious methodology not fight with speed with crappy foam whell and have chance to finish test with whell in good condition. Thinking serious about speedrun i'm preparing now custom car with serious motor 30kw oficially from producer
Screenshot_20231015_174039_Photos.jpg

Please remenber that 2028 is oficially 4kW motor with short overload 8kW. I masure current saturation of this motor and on current level 300A this motor start to be very not efficient, start making more heat than torque.

I publish some info about test, but not all ;-)

I use Limitless now only as test platform.

I have on my desktop esc for 12 and ... up to 20S.

On limitless i test not only whells but different curve for acceleration - i have own programmed throttle control popularny named perfectpass

https://sites.google.com/view/smoothrottle-jerry-perfectpass

Work in progress...
Awesome job👍 aluminum rims seem to do well..now put one on the bench and see how many RPMs you can run it on .see if the tire flys off..
High spin test was fits we do...mm

This whell was produced in December 2022, but we not publish any info :) we tested on 30 000RPM, and on Innertia dyno, test DRIVE in garage, grip test, thermal imaging test...

Whell definitelly not fly off.
So I just got an idea. What about an aluminum belted tire that you can secure to the rim with tiny m3 screws from the inside? The aluminum belt has say 4 equally distant threaded holes.
I tested with success other whell on 30000 RPM, some of them test on road already....

Ideas are there to be realized, implemented and tested. ;-)

Last edited:
Just a point of reference. KT latest video has his special wheels. They are much thinner and supported by webbing. They look to be plastic material as well. He explains the details later in the video.

1697411431669.png

KT is making a very common mistake. Thinner tires have alot of science against them. In the cycling world, it's been proven that thinner tires only "feel faster" with the main advantage here being increased endurance. The bicycle is the vessel to the rider being its motor. Now while yes, components help they also only do so much. Give Average Joe the most state of art bicycle in the world and give Lance Armstrong heaviest, cheapest big box store bicycle and pit them against eachother. AJ is getting his butt kicked by LA.
Let's move into automotive now. Under mechanical power thinner tires rob a race car of traction, stability and endurance(wear resistance). The gains would be weight reduction, rolling and wind resistence. This is why drag cars sport them on fronts only. But note that at the rear, where all the power is going, there is a set of the widest, softest with the largest possible sidewall tires. Even still, KT can't make use of any of these advantages because he's making a mistake made by many, myself included.
Scale.
For the sake of math, let's forget KTs rig is stretched. A F1 car's MINIMUM weight is 798kg, or 1759lbs. I choose to use F1 because it's one of the lightest of major racecar types. True, a speed runner is more like a drag car geared differently but they are heavier so the F1 example "helps" KT. But it still tells us that in order for KT to get the same advantages his rig needs to be around 251lbs.....

The math holds up. The concept is less rotational mass, less deformation, less centripetal force, less friction, less forward surface area. The current foams are flying apart at 180 mph and are clearly a weak point.

However, as you pointed out, in the case of KT he is very heavy car and the smaller tires have more stress on them. He also used buggy wheels to make them. He is also not at the absolute. So in his case a wider stiffer wheel might be better.

;-) small whellon front...big on end...

One of prototype V2 during testing

This whell was already tested for 20krpm, but on other pair that this installed - need repeat test on exact pair.

Now this "things" is during ground rebuild to V3

V1 was tested with 100mph and drive straight - but start 10 secoind launch throttle

Screenshot_20231016_212643_Photos.jpg

As you see logo Team Durango - car build from DEX8 parts - known as ARMA Typhon ;-) (front durango too)

I haven't driven a rc car above 40mph so I don't know if you need a lot of traction but what about a plain 3d printed aluminum tire?

Do you have the access to print in aluminum or any other kind of metals?

Back