Spektrum Firma 160a ESC will not calibrate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrumracing

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
In the middle of a limitless/infraction conversion. Can not get ESC to initially calibrate. Power on while holding set button and I get audible alarm and blinking red light, next tap the set button to start calibration no led flash after that point. Receiver shows transmitter is communicating but ESC does nothing. Brand new 160a Firma ESC, Spektrum 1250kv motor, protek 370TBL servo. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Welcome to Arrma Forum.
It's possible you did something wrong??
You want to calibrate it. But its possible you are inadvertently getting into the programing mode instead??? There's a learning curve involved.
Try a program Reset first if all else fails. Call HH, they will walk you through it. They will confirm if it is bricked by following their instructions.
I would invest in the Smart programmer box down the road. Making Programming adjustments much much easier.

Welcome to Arrma Forum.
It's possible you did something wrong??
You want to calibrate it. But its possible you are inadvertently getting into the programing mode instead??? There's a learning curve involved.
Try a program Reset first if all else fails. Call HH, they will walk you through it. They will confirm if it is bricked by following their instructions.
I would invest in the Smart programmer box down the road. Making Programming adjustments much much easier.

thanks for the reply. I found a local shop and had someone walk through everything with me. It was actually a problem with the transmitter. I’m learning. I’m thankful for this group as well as people who really want to help. I most def need to get the smart programmer.

What was the problem with the transmitter? I am having issues getting my firma ESC to calibrate, its also not sending any telemetry data/battery data ETC, I have the full spektrum Kit... 150a Firma ESC, SR6100AT Receiver, the DX5C Transmitter and 2 IC5 3S LiPos. binding is sorted, I have steering but no throttle.

When I just power on like regular the ESC does its *Greeting?* 3 green led/beeps, then the 6 slow ones (still green), then after a short pause one last green LED/beep. After that it just goes into a red blinking thing with no throttle input. Which is why I want to try re-calibrating it.

When I try to do the calibration, Same as the Spektrum Video, which also matches the manual, it does the red flashing motor beeping but when I hit the set button to set Neutral, nothing happens. Any help would be awesome. thanks!

What was the problem with the transmitter? I am having issues getting my firma ESC to calibrate, its also not sending any telemetry data/battery data ETC, I have the full spektrum Kit... 150a Firma ESC, SR6100AT Receiver, the DX5C Transmitter and 2 IC5 3S LiPos. binding is sorted, I have steering but no throttle.

When I just power on like regular the ESC does its *Greeting?* 3 green led/beeps, then the 6 slow ones (still green), then after a short pause one last green LED/beep. After that it just goes into a red blinking thing with no throttle input. Which is why I want to try re-calibrating it.

When I try to do the calibration, Same as the Spektrum Video, which also matches the manual, it does the red flashing motor beeping but when I hit the set button to set Neutral, nothing happens. Any help would be awesome. thanks!
Make sure your throttle trim is set to the middle 0 position as after the esc is initialised and sees an input without a period of rest it goes into a mode to protect the car from just taking off

Make sure your throttle trim is set to the middle 0 position as after the ESC is initialized and sees an input without a period of rest it goes into a mode to protect the car from just taking off

Hey TurboRick, Thanks for the fast reply, i really appreciate it.

So I wrote and did all the trouble shooting below, then on a whim I decided to put the ESC in the STR slot and Vise Versa... well Steering works for both forward and back movement. AAAAAAaaaannnnndddd the Throttle trigger works for Steering left AND Right... WTF?!?!?! Also still no telemetry, battery info etc...Not sure how to remedy this. Will post edit again if I figure this out. Swapped back to original channel slots and back to the beggining, only steering no throttle.

Heres are all my setting:

Sub Trims all @ "0".
Primary trims all @ "0".
All Travel @ "100%"
All Reverse @ "Normal".
All Speed @"100%".
Rates: Steering: 100%, Switch: on,
OTF: Trim: E,
Override: 100%, Switch: Inh.
Exponentials: Steering 0L/0R,
OTF: Trim: Inh,
Switch: On,
0 -> 0.
Mixing: Steering: Inh
Mix 0: Inh
All others @ "0"
AVC: On,
Steering Gain: 50%,
Throttle Gain: 50%,
Priority :100%.
Trim Set-up: Steering 9,
Throttle 9.

That's all the setting save telemetry menu and whatnot. I tried my old ESC that I know worked ...yesterday and it is now doing the same thing. I tried deleting the binding/model that the TX had saved and rebinding it did nothing, though I may not have Deleted it correctly? I created a new one then selected the old one and re-binded the new one... I think :p

Edit: I have messed with Trims, both standard and sub trims... both in minor and major increments... no luck. tried reversing throttle setting, no changes. tried swapping the wires on the motor and no Changes. tried different trigger positions in Calibration mode and no Changes. tried 2 batteries(2x3S(6s)), tried 1 (1x3S) with jumper. pulled them Fresh off the charger so I knew they were topped off and no Changes. they are the Spektrum Smart 5,000 MaH, 50C, 11.1V, 3S, LiPos. Tried fresh batteries in the TX and no change. Swapped the battery on both sides of the connectors with the jumper and no Changes. Check and rechecked and rechecked again the ESC and Steering Servo inputs on the receiver to check the right location and orientation and those are right.

I do not have anything plugged into the Xbus or Volt ports and have not before, it all ran just fine.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. It sucks for sure
So I went through everything with Horizon hobby(troubleshooting), they sent me a new receiver and that fixed the issue, though my esc ended up dying too, not sure it they were related. The esc died 10+sessions later, it kept going rouge, locking a speed in and running away uncontrollably. I'm not sure if this helps, just what happened to me.

HELLO

Do you have any other old radiosystem that works or your friend?
TRY replace radiosystem please,

This happen to me one week ago

I change my MAX6 combo from older 6s car to new one.
Everything work 100% before.
After the new install i like to calibrate. system will not.
And im sure i did nothing wrong. Done this hobby more than 20years now

I got so sad.

Then i got great idea.
Try other receiver.
BOOM it works.

I try the old one again. Not working.

Hmmm.

What do i try to say here?
YES, try other radiosystem before you do anything else,

I wish you good luck

where you able to fix it? im having the same issue with my Vortkes right now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back