Spektrum G2 battery by mistake - is it good?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mall5nail5

Reaction score
Hey all - bought a couple 5000 mAh 6S packs that are Spektrum G2 units to replace a bad G1 and a kind of swollen G1. I know there are cheaper/better/etc. but I just stick with the Spektrum because it's easy and we're just bashers. That said, I have an S1100 charger and when I sent the stuff to our beach house I realized when opening the batteries there are no balance leads! I found that the S1100 firmware can be updated to charge the G2... but what the heck is up with no balance lead? On one hand its one less thing to tie down or get wrapped around a drive shaft, but how in the world does it properly balance? Is it a true evolution/as reliable as the G1 w/ balance leads? Or, is it a cheap move that will result in me going through packs more because they won't be optimally charged?

We'll bash with it while here but figured I'd ask!

Thanks!

I've put a brand new G1 with the lead and a brand new G2 without. I would say I've ran each about 5 times. The gen 2 without the balance lead seems to last slightly longer. Performance I'd say they are about the same overall. Charge time, etc. But as you said just one less thing to plug in and it appears the "smart" charger does do a checkup before beginning the charging process.

In my case all 3s batteries

Very new to the RC game, but I've also bought 4 Zee packs to compare dfft mah and c ratings, and the Spektrum ones seem to last a bit longer. That being said, I'd still buy 2 or 3 hoovo or zee brand before I pay the same for 1 spektrum.

G2s balance charge automatically without the lead. Also default to storage charge on its own.

IIRC, there is a small circuit/chip onboard the lipo that helps manage things, including self discharge if you forget to storage charge. The balance lead is captured in the small wire attached to the main leads battery connector. Those IC5 are proprietary connectors that allow main terminal connection as well as managing balancing for the small wire.
1687803925371.png

More Spektrum propaganda, but maybe this video helps outline how it works better.

G2 much better than G1...balance leads built in..auto storage (my batteries set to 3 days default.) Can't beat the new tech.

Not that I’m going to rush out and start buying Spektrum batteries, but the auto storage charge feature is indeed nice. On my bigger MaH LiPo’s that I charge up and then don’t use, I always go back the same day or the next and storage charge them and it takes forever. I’ll probably buy a dedicated discharger at some point.

Hey all - bought a couple 5000 mAh 6S packs that are Spektrum G2 units to replace a bad G1 and a kind of swollen G1. I know there are cheaper/better/etc. but I just stick with the Spektrum because it's easy and we're just bashers. That said, I have an S1100 charger and when I sent the stuff to our beach house I realized when opening the batteries there are no balance leads! I found that the S1100 firmware can be updated to charge the G2... but what the heck is up with no balance lead? On one hand its one less thing to tie down or get wrapped around a drive shaft, but how in the world does it properly balance? Is it a true evolution/as reliable as the G1 w/ balance leads? Or, is it a cheap move that will result in me going through packs more because they won't be optimally charged?

We'll bash with it while here but figured I'd ask!

Thanks!
If you look at the lead, you'll see a metal prong between the negative and positive. That now is the balance wire. It's like Traxxas batteries but with a smart chip in it. The S2200 dual port 4s completer combo I bought is plug and play. Show a lot of info with simplicity. (Read manual) And no matter what Spektrum G2 smart battery, it will initialize the charging when you plug the battery in knowing the cell count and charge rate. I bought a 6s to go with it and plug and charge. You can set your own settings. Keeps up with each cell voltage, charge time, how many charges that battery has had, temp... Will charge G1 and any battery with a balance wire. IC3 & IC5 + EC3 & EC5 compatible. I had to call today because one battery said 2 cycles which was correct but #2 said 7th cycle. So I had questions. They do randomly test some batteries to check them over. Local hobby said the same.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back