Spektrum STX2 alternative - any suggestions (to be used on Granite 3s BLX)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystrafanx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi guys, I have now come across a number of people complaining about Spektrum's STX2 radio - apparently there is some lag in the signal causing delayed response.

I am yet to have my first go with the Granite (3S BLX) and the radio, but I know how annoying lag can be so am thinking of replacing the radio.. That said,

Is there someone here who has already replaced the STX2 with something (if so, with what - any suggestions please)? I was looking at these as potential solutions:
Sanwa MX6 (but have not used Sanwa before)
Futaba 3PV
DX5C (overkill as I only have 1 model..for now + I don't want to break the bank???)
FlySky GT3B and GT5 (are these any good really?)

Depends if you only need to control one RC or many. There is a wide range of feature options too. The Dumborc X4 is a fine replacement at $25, but is pretty basic and only controls one RC. The Flysky 3 series has gotten some poor reviews here. The 5 series and the Noble have great reviews. The Futaba and Spektrum are well liked too.

Depends if you only need to control one RC or many. There is a wide range of feature options too. The Dumborc X4 is a fine replacement at $25, but is pretty basic and only controls one RC. The Flysky 3 series has gotten some poor reviews here. The 5 series and the Noble have great reviews. The Futaba and Spektrum are well liked too.

Thanks:), I will check the Dumborc out although I suspect a 1-model radio won't cut it in the long run. Very good to know about FS 3-series, will avoid those, but will look into the 5 and the Noble. I was curious to see what people have to say about the Sanwa as well.

Thanks! I must say that I do find the Futaba the most "appealing" one (but this is irrelevant as I am looking for value for money). I have seen MANY reviews of people complaining of the Futaba's ergonomics so must consider that. Side question, what Rx do you use with it? I have significant experience with Futaba Rx (6+ channel ones) and they are great, but not the most economical ones...

I have the futaba t3pv. I read too some people complain about the ergonomics but when I held it in my hand it felt no different than a standard pistol transmitter to me. I read that someone complained the trigger was canted a bit but mine is straight as an arrow. Go figure.

I was able to fit a 3800mah 2S lipo in my 3pv as the main battery. No AA's and higher voltage for the tx too.

I have the futaba t3pv. I read too some people complain about the ergonomics but when I held it in my hand it felt no different than a standard pistol transmitter to me. I read that someone complained the trigger was canted a bit but mine is straight as an arrow. Go figure.

I was able to fit a 3800mah 2S lipo in my 3pv as the main battery. No AA's and higher voltage for the tx too.
I don’t know what people are taking about if they are complaining about ergonomics. My issue with the 3PV is the outdated menu system and no scroll button. It works and feels fine. Put a 2S 1100mah lipo in it and it has very good range.

WOW! As usual, amazing super quick response. Thanks everyone!

It looks like there is no "correct answer" so this would require some leap of faith :). I don't know why I was hoping for a universal answer...

I think I might go for the FSgt5 or the Futaba (depending on $$$).?

I am very satisfied with my Spektrum DX5C
It looks like there is a strong preference for it, and should money were not to be considered, I would have probably bought one by now (I still may do). As this is however my first RC car, I don't want to fall into the trap of "over-killing it" before considering all viable options. My collection of RC airplanes have thought me something I guess :rolleyes: . Still - the input is very much appreciated! :)
Here is a very good roundup of many of the models you’re considering

Man... this is like literally answering all my questions in the order I was asking them :geek:. Thank you very much for sharing. I did not come across it on YouTube earlier.

It looks like there is a strong preference for it, and should money were not to be considered, I would have probably bought one by now (I still may do). As this is however my first RC car, I don't want to fall into the trap of "over-killing it" before considering all viable options. My collection of RC airplanes have thought me something I guess :rolleyes: . Still - the input is very much appreciated! :)

Man... this is like literally answering all my questions in the order I was asking them :geek:. Thank you very much for sharing. I did not come across it on YouTube earlier.

I have to say I was initialy going for the Futaba 3PV. However, my LHS told me they have a hard time getting Futaba products and they convinced me that the level of support (through them) would be much easier with Spektrum.

It may be a regional distribution issue (I am in Canada)...I don't know.

I have to say I was initialy going for the Futaba 3PV. However, my LHS told me they have a hard time getting Futaba products and they convinced me that the level of support (through them) would be much easier with Spektrum.

It may be a regional distribution issue (I am in Canada)...I don't know.
My LHS doesn’t carry a lot of Futaba either.

Ok, so I got the Futaba... (40% cheaper compared to DX5C, so it would suit me for the time being).

However, I have some trouble putting the truck in reverse now. It seems that many have had the same issue, not only with the 3PV, so was wondering if you had it as well after moving to it?

If so, did you fix it with the throttle trim (when TR Trim is at "0" reverse does not seem to respond...).

Ok, so I got the Futaba... (40% cheaper compared to DX5C, so it would suit me for the time being).

However, I have some trouble putting the truck in reverse now. It seems that many have had the same issue, not only with the 3PV, so was wondering if you had it as well after moving to it?

If so, did you fix it with the throttle trim (when TR Trim is at "0" reverse does not seem to respond...).

I have no issues engaging reverse in two of my three vehicles as of now. In fact reverse for me seems to engage consistently and sometimes too quickly.

Have you calibrated the esc to your new tx? Have you reversed your throttle channel before calibrating? On my t3pv I have channel 2 set to reverse and then calibrated to that.

Take your time, do research, then decide for yourself. Look for a radio that feels good in the hands, responds well to input, has good range, and has recievers that won't break the bank.

Gentleman - once again, you don't disappoint! Judging by the speed and quality of the response, I am starting to think that some of you "work" for the forum :)

I must say that I have not fixed the EPA - will get straight to it and will report if I "crash in the adjacent piece of furniture". I did have to reverse the channels though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back