Vorteks Spring question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vortex 2wd

Reaction score
Before I try and spend lots trying to find springs. Figured I'd ask

Trying to find softer springs for my vortex for the rear.

The front seems fine. The back seems to glide over my yard track which means it needs more traction

May try 10 wt oil. But springs are the answer. Like 4 or 5 lb

Any suggestions ?

20230907_120129.jpg

Last edited:
Hot racing springs for the slash rear end might do the trick.
16940921205922774810794258964229.jpg

Also came with a silver set,and black set each heavier. I used the black for the front end on my losi baja rey. The stock were not heavy enough for the ssd aluminum diff case. Works great. They are 80mm in length.

Last edited:
Have you tried adjusting the tension of the spring?

Some shocks come with a nut at the top of the spring you can screw up or down with your fingers and adjust the tension of the spring.
If your shocks do not have this then you will have to go another route.
1694099344167.jpeg

Some metal shocks come with a nut at the top of the spring you can screw up or down with your fingers and adjust the tension of the spring.
If your shocks do not have this then you will have to go another route.
View attachment 321080
Yeah. I'm using the stock shocks. No spacers on them. Just need a softer spring. Don't want to buy 50 to find one that fits.

Yeah trying diff. springs can $addUp$.
But honestly, in the end, it is trial and error what works best for your own rig and how and where you drive it. I would use a thinner oil to start with. Maybe making the rear shocks more Upright vs "layed down" will help. Depends on what position they are in right now.
What happened to your Shock preload Spacers?? Lost them?

Yeah springs can $addUp$.
But honestly, in the end, it is trial and error what works best for your own rig and how and where you drive it.
Don't those make it tighter? I want it soft and supple. Thats nice.

Yeah trying diff. springs can $addUp$.
But honestly, in the end, it is trial and error what works best for your own rig and how and where you drive it. I would use a thinner oil to start with. Maybe making the rear shocks more Upright vs "layed down" will help.
I believe he removed them because he wants to go softer, not firmer.

^^^
Yeah I figured as much.(y) Just that he didn't even know what they are? :rolleyes:
And he might need them when he goes to a softer spring. For dialing/tweaking purposes.
The 4x4 shocks are horrible to deal with for this reason alone. And the pistons are all the same. Unlike the 6s shocks that have different Pistons available. Included in the kit box. ( 6s basher line)
I would change out the shocks altogether. But gets costly for a 4x4 chassis., I get that.
It is possible that he simply has too much "Shock Pack". (Oil being too thick)
Drilling out the pistons a bit is also one option.

Edited.

Last edited:
^^^
Yeah I figured as much.(y) Just that he didn't even know what they are? :rolleyes:
And he might need them when he goes to a softer spring. For dialing/tweaking purposes.
The 4x4 shocks are horrible to deal with for this reason alone.
I would change out the shocks altogether. But gets costly for a 4x4 chassis., I get that.
Does Arrma quote their spring rates? It’s tough to determine if they don’t.
Also, just to address a point the OP made above, shock oil needs to be tailored for the spring rate, and not to try and change rate with the same springs. Weight should be chosen with your ideal springs in place, and be only thick enough to eliminate bounce after releasing a fully compressed suspension when installed, with batteries and rig at full weight.
Probably overthinking it a bit for bashers, but that’s the proper way to do it.

+1
True.
Yeah most of the time changing out the springs also requires a different damping rate ( different oil Weight and/ or a larger or smaller holed piston.) as well.
Shocks are not plug and play. There is much to dialing them in. Even if you go to a softer spring alone, the OE oil might be too thick. Many confuse this with too stiff of a spring. Not always the case. The damping might just have too much shock pack. On its face, appears to be a stiff spring causing this. But is not always the case, it's just Overdamped. And adressing the rear shocks usually requires you tweak the fronts to match, and vice versa. With 2WD platforms, the rear shocks are most important, traction wise. Steering understeer is more prevelant with 2WD platforms. So shocks matter much.

Last edited:
+1
True.
Yeah most of the time changing out the springs also requires a different damping rate ( different oil Weight and/ or a larger holed piston.) as well.
Shocks are not plug and play. There is much to dialing them in. Even if you go to a softer spring alone, the OE oil might be too thick. Many confuse this with too stiff of a spring. Not always the case. The damping might just have too much shock pack. On its face, appears to be a stiff spring causing this. But is not the case. Just overdamped.
I know what the spacers are. I just want softer springs. The ones on it are around 6.7 lbs pi
I believe he removed them because he wants to go softer, not firmer.
Yes. 80mm spring with 6.7 lb inch of force.

That's the standard. From what I've found.

Last edited:
Does Arrma quote their spring rates? It’s tough to determine if they don’t.
Also, just to address a point the OP made above, shock oil needs to be tailored for the spring rate, and not to try and change rate with the same springs. Weight should be chosen with your ideal springs in place, and be only thick enough to eliminate bounce after releasing a fully compressed suspension when installed, with batteries and rig at full weight.
Probably overthinking it a bit for bashers, but that’s the proper way to do it.
I noticed with the 6s shock springs some are rated in pounds like most, yet some are measured in Metric rates. So it is hard to compare what you need compared to what the stocker ones are. Shock springs rate are not always accurate. Especially from one brand to another. Been there. And the different lengths of the spring does change/affect the overall spring rate. You will absolutely need spacers to dial in any new set of springs. There simply isn't that one perfect drop-in spring. Will need Preload spacers of varying sizes. Spring Preload being tweaked to get it just how you want it. That's why Adjustible "threaded spring collars" are the best way to go. With a finite adjustability. A different shock needed altogether.

Last edited:
I noticed with the 6s shock springs some are rated in pounds like most, yet some are measure in Metric rates. So it is hard to compare what you need compared t to what the stocker ones are. And the different lengths of the spring does change the overall spring rate.
Maybe ill ... use the front ones and add spacers. Lol. I have spares. They are 10mm shorter.

+1
Absolutely worth a try. Where I would start. Evaluate from there
Then use a thinner oil if you feel the need. The next step.

+1
Absolutely worth a try. Where I would start. Evaluate from there
Then use a thinner oil if you feel the need. The next step.
I got 30 wt oil. For now. I think it's spring tension over oil weight for more sticking power right now.

Hot racing springs for the slash rear end might do the trick.
View attachment 321065
Also came with a silver set,and black set each heavier. I used the black for the front end on my losi baja rey. The stock were not heavy enough for the ssd aluminum diff case. Works great. They are 80mm in length.
I believe I paid $12 for the set of 3.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back