Typhon Shock question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m using 50 wt on big bore red shocks but i also am using stiffer springs and that elimanated the hard slap landings. Its working great.

Is that the same as 50 weight? The guy at the shop said I needed 50w. I am trying to stop the chassis slap on landings. I was looking for hd springs, the guy said I needed 50w oil. I changed the oil and I can't tell any difference.
Same. You could step up to 60-80 if you wanted, BUT…do not try to eliminate all chassis slap. You can tone it down, but it actually needs chassis slap to reduce shock to the “upstream” components. Without slap, all landing forces will be absorbed by the shock towers and you’ll start to break standoffs, bend shock shafts, bend a-arm pins, and rip up your bulkheads.
Edit: 500cst is NOT the same as 50wt. CST seems to be a consistent standard, but different companies apparently just arbitrarily assign different “weights” to their oils. I found this web page, and was really surprised by the discrepancies in silicon oil weights.
https://rsrc.biz/en/blog/cst-to-wt-silicone-oil-charts-n90

Last edited:
Is that the same as 50 weight? The guy at the shop said I needed 50w. I am trying to stop the chassis slap on landings. I was looking for hd springs, the guy said I needed 50w oil. I changed the oil and I can't tell any difference.
It needs to have the chassis slap on landing, it helps to preserve the integrity of the shocks, the chassis itself & the parts within

Heavier oils without replacing the pistons only leads to broken ends and bent shafts.

Heavier oils without replacing the pistons only leads to broken ends and bent shafts.
Well I'm bending the poop out of the stock shafts as well. So the 50w oil he recommended was correct if I want thicker oil? Should i drill another hole in the piston or make the ones there larger? Should I just get the 6s Typhon shocks instead of trying to get these stock ones to work the way I want. Thank you for helping.

Well I'm bending the poop out of the stock shafts as well. So the 50w oil he recommended was correct if I want thicker oil? Should i drill another hole in the piston or make the ones there larger? Should I just get the 6s Typhon shocks instead of trying to get these stock ones to work the way I want. Thank you for helping.
I’d go with option 5, let it slap. That’s what they are supposed to do.

Same here, i never eleminated the full slap, i just reduced it. Great info guys.

Back