step down converter from 110v to 240v, I need help please :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great tool for the $$$. Tools are expensive tho! I’m a tool junky. My work bag.

0A30C048-D7A8-42BA-A75E-9F65D1D9EECE.png

sorry guys - I didn't explain myself well enough...the Dewalt DCF680N2 isn't available here in Aust but I really like the idea of a gyroscopic screwdriver which is why I want to buy it - lot of great reviews as well!!!

I need to buy from the US which means that the charger is suited for the US market (110v) whereas here in Aust, we run 240v...this tool isn't available in Aust :(

Now, I was looking at a step down converter for the charger so it converts power to the dewalt charger (ie for the battery) from 110v to 240v & my original question was what size converter do I need in terms of watts?

Since writing this post, I've been advised that I can simply just run an AU plug adapter for the charger & save money by way of not having to fork out on buying a step down converter which appeals to me - if I just run the AU plug on the charger, will this charge the battery & if so, what is the downfall? I'd assume it may charge quicker as I'm using 240v DC rather than 110v DC?

sorry guys - I didn't explain myself well enough...the Dewalt DCF680N2 isn't available here in Aust but I really like the idea of a gyroscopic screwdriver which is why I want to buy it - lot of great reviews as well!!!

I need to buy from the US which means that the charger is suited for the US market (110v) whereas here in Aust, we run 240v...this tool isn't available in Aust :(

Now, I was looking at a step down converter for the charger so it converts power to the dewalt charger (ie for the battery) from 110v to 240v & my original question was what size converter do I need in terms of watts?

Since writing this post, I've been advised that I can simply just run an AU plug adapter for the charger & save money by way of not having to fork out on buying a step down converter which appeals to me - if I just run the AU plug on the charger, will this charge the battery & if so, what is the downfall? I'd assume it may charge quicker as I'm using 240v DC rather than 110v DC?
First, you're over thinking this. Second your terminology is wrong. Think that's what's confusing some. A step down converter is just that. Steps the voltage down from 240V to 110V. Not the other way around. And it's AC not DC.

The adapter moonstonemike? posted is all you need. It drops the voltage from 240 to 110. You can plug any US 110V device into it. It won't charge any faster or slower than here.

my error - yes it is AC, silly me :)
will I need the converter though OR can I just run an AU plug & be done with? Just wondering what will happen if I run a 110v AC charger from the US on Australian 240v AC power?
theoretically they should call it a 'step up converter' but here in Aust they still call them a 'step down converter'...go figure!?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/50va-240vac-to-115vac-stepdown-transformer/p/MF1091

will I need the converter though OR can I just run an AU plug & be done with? Just wondering what will happen if I run a 110v AC charger from the US on Australian 240v AC power?
theoretically they should call it a 'step up converter' but here in Aust they still call them a 'step down converter'...go figure!?

No, you can't just run an AU plug. There has to be a step down converter. It will go poof.

The one you posted will work. Fits your outlet, drops the voltage to 110V and a 2 prong US plug. Should charge the tool you listed just fine.

I knew there was a problem when he wanted a Dewalt tool! lmao
What.. you mean you don't like Stanley Black and Decker!? 🤣

No.. if you were going from 120 to 240 then that would be a "step up" transformer or boost transformer!!

No, you can't just run an AU plug. There has to be a step down converter. It will go poof.

The one you posted will work. Fits your outlet, drops the voltage to 110V and a 2 prong US plug. Should charge the tool you listed just fine.
great :)
definitely makes sense that running a 110v charger on 240v is double the power hence would go "poof"

You need to check the input voltage specs on the charger. If it's like this non DeWalt charger for the DCF680N2 you can see it accepts voltage from 100-240.
IMG_20220830_221047.jpg
So you would only need an adapter. No poof!!!
But if the DeWalt charger only says input 110v then you need a converter to keep it from going poof.

I use Milwaukee tools for work and home but I got one of these for the RC cars works great. View attachment 240154
I've used this for close to 10 years and still works great. Mine has a clutch though with like 11 steps and it's fantastic because it actually works great with the plastic threads limiting torque.

Perfect r/c tool

Also use it for computer assembly

Man was I overthinking it or what haha…I have a world travel adapter which accepts US plug for Australia, plugged it in and charged both batteries in about 20min :)

No need for a converter.

5CDFA918-EAD8-4361-BF1F-F5EB49DF710E.jpeg

I posted the below question on Amazon and based on the response, decided to give it a go & it works

Attachments

• B21E30C2-D120-4BF4-AB84-E5EEE04ACDD5.jpeg
    B21E30C2-D120-4BF4-AB84-E5EEE04ACDD5.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 35
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back