Kraton Stripped grub screw in 17mm hex while replacing bearings and the red locktite is insane.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 6s
Added heat to all the grubs and 3 came out but one is completely stripped... Any advice on getting it out? Because it is in the hex adapter so it makes it hard to get to. Any advice is much appreciated. I've ordered new grubs and Hex adapters just i case. I may have to take a dremel and cut it out but i hate to do that. Thanks in advance guys, The red locktite they use is no joke!!!

Use your service pistol on it. ?

Jk. Get some good quality hex tools. MIP seems to be the favorite around here. I've never used them but I've removed screws that I stripped with cheap tools, my favorite are the Wera drivers for worn out screw heads. I also use PB Swiss drivers and have had no problems with them.

If you can't get it out, try drilling it before you resort to cutting. The 17mm nut tool that comes with your rig has a hole in it, so you can hold the nut while removing screws.

I have bad news bud, last time I did this I called horizon and they sent me new assemblies. I had to just replace the parts. You can try to jb weld a hex tool that you don’t care about but I’d just go through warranty Horizon is well aware of this issue

Use your service pistol on it. ?

Jk. Get some good quality hex tools. MIP seems to be the favorite around here. I've never used them but I've removed screws that I stripped with cheap tools, my favorite are the Wera drivers for worn out screw heads. I also use PB Swiss drivers and have had no problems with them.

If you can't get it out, try drilling it before you resort to cutting. The 17mm nut tool that comes with your rig has a hole in it, so you can hold the nut while removing screws.

you can tap the axle pin out with punch and put it back but it is hard.

source.gif

I learned of the technique in which you use a soldering iron to soften the red Loctite too late. I was able to get one of my rear hubs off, but had to sacrifice an Allen wrench in the process. I had wrecked the other rear grub to the point where applying the soldering iron and then using my newly purchased MIP tools was unsuccessful. Boo! I have a new rear axle, 17mm hex and hub on the way. It didn't occur to me to try contacting Horizon.

I learned of the technique in which you use a soldering iron to soften the red Loctite too late. I was able to get one of my rear hubs off, but had to sacrifice an Allen wrench in the process. I had wrecked the other rear grub to the point where applying the soldering iron and then using my newly purchased MIP tools was unsuccessful. Boo! I have a new rear axle, 17mm hex and hub on the way. It didn't occur to me to try contacting Horizon.
Sometimes you can get a torques bit on it.

I'll second the suggestion for heat and using a forced in torx bit.

Zach, it looks like you're with the Sheriffs dept. Thanks for doing what you all do.

i'm in the same boat. one of my grubs stripped with 1 turn (by hand) and there was no turning back. i've tried to get it out with quality tools since then to no avail. only made it worse and it's now way too stripped. i had to resort to just leaving it in there. you can actually just work around it. get a drill bit slightly thinner than the pin, line it up with the pin then use a hammer to smash out the pin. then you can replace the bearings or whatever else you wanted to do. to put it back together, just bash the pin back in.

I'll have to decide whether I want to use my screw extractor or drill out/shred the grub screw. Thankfully, I have the safety net of knowing I have replacements of every one of the parts coming in soon. I need to get my Kraton 6S off the bench so it can resume its battle against my Traxxas vehicles!

I have bad news bud, last time I did this I called horizon and they sent me new assemblies. I had to just replace the parts. You can try to jb weld a hex tool that you don’t care about but I’d just go through warranty Horizon is well aware of this issue
I actually did that today! So hopefully they send me the whole assembly unassembled so I can use blue locktite instead!
I'll second the suggestion for heat and using a forced in torx bit.

Zach, it looks like you're with the Sheriffs dept. Thanks for doing what you all do.
Thanks man! I appreciate the support! And I used heat from the beginning with a soldering iron and mip bits... Still stripped lol

Yup had same issue. I removed hub. Set in vice to knock pin out. Used a fine tip dremel to slot it for a flat head driver. Held a lighter to it and it spun right out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back