Kraton Suffered enough! Tell me how to take off the 17mm hex from the driveshaft!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bukshypro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon TLR
  3. Vorteks
£20 paypal for that one, painless, consistent solution to remove this!

Usually some heating - and then some silo inside some hex wrench nuts to not destroy the red painting completely,- works, but its hard. If I can hold the hex strong enough w one hand, I cant hold the driveshaft strong enough with the other. This time the heating didnt even help me being able to move the hex nut on the axle even a little bit(pin is already put w fire)

My hands hurt, im a bit upset too 🤬

Apprecjate your help if you have. This is 4S Kraton/Outcast

IMG_20230225_225305.jpg

IMG_20230225_225321.jpg

IMG_20230225_225302.jpg

2 adjustable wrenches?? One on hub and one on hex..

No, its not that. I need to take off the bigger hex hub off the driveshaft/axle and its super glued to the axle
Oh ok sorry. Haven't encountered that one yet. I'd shoot the flame from a small torch into the hole where the hex screw came out.

So the pin is out, right? It`s only the hex that is still stuck to the cvd-axle because of excessive locktite?

In that case, wrap the plastic hub in a few layers of aluminum foil and also shove it between the bearing and hex. Just to protect the plastic.
Then heat sucker up really good, best use a small blowtorch.
A lighter will take quite a while, much longer than you would think. Once you start seeing a little bit of smoke you can try to pull the hex off or use something to pry it off.

I have smth to hold the hex hub, but that crap is so soft its melting if I hold it tight. You see on the pictures I already damages some threads and its breaking my OCD. I worked out the 4s driveshaft bearings with fridge, the 3s with a hole and bit of hammer. Just gotta find consistency w this one. I ll get a blow thing.

Also, English being my third language I don't understand some names of the tools you say 😬
What did you buy today thread

Screenshot_20230225-231824__01.jpg

On bright side of things, however. I am absolutely becoming godlike with Arrma 3-4S; I mean combining their parts, shock towers and such. I love this doing this stuff so much. I cant get wait to get into 6S and above
__

We will need to decide who gets the £20 😁 thanks for the support, people. This is why I love you and being here

Last edited:
Either tap pin out or use a pinion remover if it's big enough. And next time you heat wait for a puff of smoke and if it smells like threadlocker, you heated it enough. Now you can removed it easily. If you can't use a torch use your solder iron, it will work, just takes a little longer.

I use a soldering iron with a pointed tip to heat up the grub screws in the hexes, and it works like a charm. I found that if I put the wheel back on the hex after heating the grub screw, it makes it a lot easier to hold the axle while turning the grub screw. That also saves the hex from getting damaged by locking pliers.

I use a burnsomatic torch. Same for the motor mount screws. Sometimes the pinion grub needs it as well.

I use a soldering iron with a pointed tip to heat up the grub screws in the hexes, and it works like a charm. I found that if I put the wheel back on the hex after heating the grub screw, it makes it a lot easier to hold the axle while turning the grub screw. That also saves the hex from getting damaged by locking pliers.
This is the 4S, there is no grub screw here. There is the axle and the red hex hub glued to it like eternity and there is no way to hold the hex hub well without destroying it, because its made like soft cheese.

So the problem is that in one hand I have:
Part of driveahaft with the axle, inside the hub(c + steering and rear. And in the other hand I have a tool and I am trying to pull off the hex hub, which is super glued to the axle. None of them has a good catch.

Best scenario, Id need a tool, smth with like strong rubber, so I can hold the hex hub tight and somehow w my hand turn the driveshaft and pull it out, but right now w the tool I have, I destroy the hex hub even if I put Gorilla tape on it etc.

Screenshot_20230226-032518.jpg

Actually, even the smaller bearing is super glued to the axle. But thats way easier to get off if the red hex hub is off
hex hub = wheel hex. Checked for clarity

Last edited:
Put the car togueter put the wheels on try again. You can try also with adjustable hex wrench
Or if its the locktite who welded it in against the hub heat

Just want ti make sure im seeing this right as i only have 6s arrmas, have u removed the screw that holds the pin in the wheel hex? You said there is no set screw but what about part number 722312?

Just want ti make sure im seeing this right as i only have 6s arrmas, have u removed the screw that holds the pin in the wheel hex? You said there is no set screw but what about part number 722312?
You re the first one to mention the locking pliers/vice grips! Where can I send the £20?
Thanks so much, it was trivial w this and enough heat. And btw yes, that screw was out already, see on the below picture 🙂

But see everyone, thats not blue threadlocker, that is fiddlesticking super glue 🤬🤬🤬🤬

IMG_20230226_112422.jpg

IMG_20230226_112527.jpg

One last question. What can I put on the hex so that the plier doesn't cut through to scratch it?

Thanks for the help people ❤️❤️❤️

Last edited:
The grub screw I was talking about is the 722312. You remove that, then you remove the 13029 pin, and then the hex should slide off. That should work on the other three hexes if you need to get them off.

I see you finally got one hex off. I can't see what your problem is now from your description. Is the axle stuck in the bearings? If so, you should be able to tap it out with a hammer.

Let me know what you still need to do, and I'll try to help you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back