Typhon Talk me out of buying a nitro rtr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdub34

Reaction score
I love my 3s typhon but got to see 1/8 nitros run at the track. My background is ATC’s, motocross and street sport bikes. After watching the nitros run man do I want one. I was thinking either the kyosho inferno rtr or the losi eight rtr. The sound, the smell. How much of a headache and expense are these to race? How loud are they as I live in a neighborhood and all tuning/practicing will be done in my yard. The Losi is 470. The kyosho is 370. Is it worth it or stick with electric? Should I steer clear? Opinions please? Thanks to those with knowledge

If it's your first time with Nitro, the best thing would be to have a buddy who has experience help you hands on.

If not, do lots of research on break in and maintenance and see if that kind of wrenching interests you. Adjusting carburetor needles to get a good tune, changing glow plugs, monitoring heat engine temps, learning to hear what a good and bad tune sounds and feels like, looking for air leaks and sealing them if your engine is not performing as it should etc plus all the normal stuff you do with electric.

Nitro is fun, but much more involved. And the less experience you have, the more involved it is.

Nitro is something everyone should try once if they have any interest in it.

I’m super mechanical inclined and love working on and tuning combustion engines. My only issue is sound. I live in a quiet neighborhood and would rather not piss off the block tuning and running the buggy around my yard.I did build an associated rc10gt kit in one evening and it worked perfectly but it was just for bashing years ago so I have some experience but not in racing them

Kyosho. Parts are more expensive and harder to find locally. But Kyosho has always been reliable and champions winners ...proven. I've had a few. Through out the years. Including my current mp9e

Last edited:
I’m super mechanical inclined and love working on and tuning combustion engines. My only issue is sound. I live in a quiet neighborhood and would rather not piss off the block tuning and running the buggy around my yard.I did build an associated rc10gt kit in one evening and it worked perfectly but it was just for bashing years ago so I have some experience but not in racing them
They ain't quiet, I'll say that. I guess it depends on how many Karens you have as neighbors.

Probably too many. It’s just a pipe dream I guess until I can buy some property out in the country. I think the 3s typhon has a lot left to give and has been really good to me. I would have gone nitro first but the noise pollution is an issue. This is my first electric and it’s faster than my old associated rc10gt no doubt. I was really impressed when I first bought it and still am every time I run it. Thanks 💪

I like the concept of nitro cars but don’t really want to own one. I’m a huge tinkerer but the additional maintenance and noise is a concern for me. Maybe down the road I’ll own one or if an amazing deal pops up but for now they aren’t on my radar at all.

Probably too many. It’s just a pipe dream I guess until I can buy some property out in the country. I think the 3s typhon has a lot left to give and has been really good to me. I would have gone nitro first but the noise pollution is an issue. This is my first electric and it’s faster than my old associated rc10gt no doubt. I was really impressed when I first bought it and still am every time I run it. Thanks 💪
Nitro can't hold a candle to the speed of electric these days. If you want to outsmart the Karens just find out if there's a noise ordinance. If so, find out what time it starts. Run till 1 min before. You'll accomplish 2 things. The first is you can't get in trouble for noise pollution. The second is you'll piss off the Karens while having the cool neighbors come talk to you about the car.

Had one and sold it. The 3s handles better and the nearest track to me doesn’t allow 6s. My 3s does have v5 6s shocks on it and some hot racing upgrades. I bought a roached 6s locally with no transmitter just for spare parts and potential upgrades I could rob off it. The motor is locked up but the guy said everything else works. Only gave 75 bucks for it

I love my 3s typhon but got to see 1/8 nitros run at the track. My background is ATC’s, motocross and street sport bikes. After watching the nitros run man do I want one. I was thinking either the kyosho inferno rtr or the losi eight rtr. The sound, the smell. How much of a headache and expense are these to race? How loud are they as I live in a neighborhood and all tuning/practicing will be done in my yard. The Losi is 470. The kyosho is 370. Is it worth it or stick with electric? Should I steer clear? Opinions please? Thanks to those with knowledge
Man after my own current issue and would write all the same words had you not just written them

This is the best advice. I don't own any nitro at the moment but it holds a special place in my heart from back in the day. I have too much going on right now since getting into speed running so that's where most of my funds go.
Seriously, people see me driving em and always ask if it's gas or electric and are surprised when I say it's electric. They sound pretty damn nice lol.

Your neighbors will be mad no question about that. They aren’t just loud, they’re high pitched and buzzy you’ll definitely get some dirty looks.

Glow plugs can be a pain to find these days due to electrics taking over. Cheap Chinese glow plugs aren’t hard to find but they don’t last long in my experience.

Be prepared to constantly clean your car and your tools and your hands because nitros are very messy. They shoot oil out of the exhaust and it manages to get everywhere making everything greasy.

Otherwise they’re very cool there’s nothing like hearing a nitro shift gears! I’ve owned a Schumacher Nitro Fusion and that was a 3 speed. Something always breaks on nitros so keep lots of spares.

I already have around 700 tied up in the 3s including charger, tools, batteries etc. from what you guys say it seems like I should just be happy with it. I’m sure I’d be fixing and complaining about nitro issues anyway. Thanks for the expert feedback

I’d stick with electric
your going to drive your neighborhood nuts. Plus you’ll need a lot more equipment to get things going and keep it maintained. You have the electric so I’d stick with it. I gave up fuel planes years ago because of noise and leaking fuel And do miss the sound but won’t change back.

I already have around 700 tied up in the 3s including charger, tools, batteries etc. from what you guys say it seems like I should just be happy with it. I’m sure I’d be fixing and complaining about nitro issues anyway. Thanks for the expert feedback
At least get one of the 6s models. For us. For the people.

I bought and sold a v5 6s typhon already. It was overkill for my intended usage. It always ran super hot, batteries are too expensive. It was a solid buggy for those that have acreage or are into street speed runs but my 3s with minor mods handles much better and is track legal💪

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back