The New Plagiarism War Has Arrived

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B in Vegas

+11mm Kyosho Hubs on the Mojave.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
  2. Senton 3s
The Atlantic just published a new article of this very title, laying out the idea that we are seeing the first wave of this new “Plagiarism War.” I suspect this is the next evolution of Cancel Culture will quickly become the tool of choice to attack a person or institution for personal gain or some kind of street credit in the political scene.

One can safely assume that tens of thousands of academic papers will be fed into the AI machine of reckoning, and there is no doubt waves of terror are washing through the mind of countless academics who have carefully and quietly woven in the works of others into their own written products. The examples of Dr. Gay’s plagiarism is shockingly effortless, grotesque, and pitiful in that it would get you booted from a junior college, let alone from one of the ivory towers.

For some, and by that I mean more than a few hundred, are going to have their academic lives turned upside down by a few dozen keystrokes on a computer’s AI text searching program.

As a writer of original content ( no one is nerdy enough to stand in a pile of rocks and write about RC crawler tires ), I’m not quite sure how I feel about this. I can say that starting back with the USC bust of parents bribing their children’s way into college really bothered me, not only showing that college is mostly a scam for dollars, but also that the money I spent applying to out-of-state colleges was surely wasted in some instances.

The sheeat storm has arrived.

This all started with the Sciences. Climate change is not about the climate. Its about the big money machine it has created and the elitists that control the narrative. Wikipwedia is also horrible, perpetuating all this. The so called "scientists" that we hear are merely Administrative in Function, selling an agenda. i.e Fauci and company.
TBH, Brandon was the king Plagiarist, going back to his college days and throughout his pol. carreer.. And still does it. Even makes up stories, easily vetted as falsehoods. I don't know who he thinks he is fooling. I am not the Sheeple, I guess.;)

Last edited:
Freedom of speech and ideas has only been free if you're standing on the correct side of the fence. That's how it is and that's how it's always was.

Welcome to Utopia.

Freedom of speech and ideas has only been free if you're standing on the correct side of the fence. That's how it is and that's how it's always was.

Freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom from consequences. If you say something and people judge you or your character based on your words, that's something you need to be willing to accept.

And here is the boomerang effect of this kind of war...... This whole mess is just gonna get messier. Where is my popcorn.?

Here is quote from BI magazine:

"Neri Oxman, a former MIT professor and celebrity within the world of academia, stole sentences and whole paragraphs from Wikipedia, other scholars, and technical documents in her academic writing, Business Insider has found.

Oxman is married to billionaire Pershing Square Capital Management founder Bill Ackman, who has been vociferously campaigning for numerous university presidents to resign over what he perceives as their mishandling of student protests related to Israel's war in Gaza. Ackman has termed plagiarism a "very serious" offense.

He used revelations unearthed by right-wing activists that Harvard president Claudine Gay had plagiarized dozens of times across the body of her academic work to underscore his calls for her resignation. Gay stepped down on Tuesday."

https://www.businessinsider.com/neri-oxman-plagiarize-wikipedia-mit-dissertation-2024-1

I imagine someone shouting into a phone, "pump the brakes kid....!!"

We ain't getting this toothpaste back in the tube. I'm quite confident that Mr. Ackman had no idea his wife, Neri, had such "issues" in her professional work. I also cannot imagine that it was a pleasant conversation between the two of them once it was revealed, and I also cannot imagine that is all of it. Plagiarism is not a one-off action, it's a learned behavior which is reinforced when it's not caught and rather rewarded.

Sweet mercy, let's watch the spin doctors do their magic. It will probably be worse than the actual Spin Doctor's music.

s

Last edited:
Freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom from consequences. If you say something and people judge you or your character based on your words, that's something you need to be willing to accept.
Argument 1
Freedom of speech and ideas must be absolute or there is no freedom at all.

Argument 2
Weaponized speech is not free speech and should carry the same penalties as causing physical harm.

Being that both ends of the stick are right, where do we go from here?

Freedom of speech and ideas must be absolute or there is no freedom at all.

This is the argument white supremacists love to use.

Yes, you can say whatever you want or think whatever you want. But this is not a Get Out of Jail Free Card for being a bigot. As a CIS, hetero white dude in his forties, I've seen WAY too many CIS hetero white dudes argue that they should be able to use the "N" word free of consequences or proclaim that homosexuals and trans people are freaks who need to say in the closet then argue they should not be judged for that opinion.

If you choose to be a racist, homophobic bigot, that's your choice. The United States government will not prosecute you for it. That's your freedom right there. But freedom of thought and speech doesn't and shouldn't grant an automatic exoneration from being branded an a-hole or a racist piece of trash. You have the freedom to hate others but you can't openly be a bigot and expect others to embrace your opinion as valid.

I have no interest in continuing discussions with you. I've had this argument online with countless right-wing keyboard warriors, as well as my own family in person, who are mostly a bunch of racists and homophobes.

Maybe you don't deserve to be lumped into that group, but you sound an awful lot like them. Again, I have no interest in continuing this discussion. I'm leaving this thread and going back to talking about RCs. Peace out.

But some of this has gotten strange. I can say the US sucks no one will point their finger at me and say white person/Christian hater. If I say something nasty about Israel I'm automatically an anti semitic. To say Israel's policy as it pertains to Palestine is inhumane is now considered an anti semitic statement.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back