This is why I would never want a plastic chassis on a 1/8 scale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not here to bash Traxxas, to each their own. Some may know I still have many from my nitro days, even a couple Rustlers. When I got back to RC earlier this year I never knew Arrma existed.

Was watching YouTube vids to see what was out there today. Seen a vid from Outsourced RC, I think, he took a new Emaxx out the box and started jumping it. It wasn't even a few jumps and ripped that beautiful new body off. Pulled all the hold downs through the body. He a TX fanboy and he was pi$$ed. Yeah, there's a easy fix for it with washers, but how can Traxxas let it out the door knowing this when you pay $800. or whatever it costs.

I don't care to own a Emaxx, big models like that do nothing for me. I agree with Noto, for 1k I got OC and Kraton. Would rather have these 2 1/8 scales than the Emaxx for around same price. Like I said to each there own. The Emaxx is not indestructible, seen too many vids to back this up.

Don't hate the Emaxx at all, just not for me!
The Emaxx isn't very durable either, this video alone kept me from getting one. And this isn't even the brushless model!

My 1/14 scale vehicles don't even have plastic chassis.
Here they are next to the Outcast.
20190309_125003.jpg

The Emaxx isn't very durable either, this video alone kept me from getting one. And this isn't even the brushless model!

View attachment 39690

I saw that pig at my LHS and knew it was way too much truck. Compared to every other model in stock, it was nearly twice as big. Two of everything isn’t impressive to me. It’s twice as much work. ??‍♂️

I saw that pig at my LHS and knew it was way too much truck. Compared to every other model in stock, it was nearly twice as big. Two of everything isn’t impressive to me. It’s twice as much work. ??‍♂️
I was going to build one completely out of aftermarket parts one time, when I saw my total was over $1,800 I was like **** that.

Here's the thing. The X Maxx probably is a beast. I can't comment as fact, as I've never seen one run running in person. But $930 US for a truck made out of mostly injected plastic, is where I can't come to grips. It surely isn't indestructible, will likely have drive train issues like any other rc (seen a few "bulletproof" your X Maxx difs videos), and because if it's sheer mass, probably wears down quickly when people operate it the way that Traxxas and YouTube advertise. Survived one hit, doesn't guarantee it will survive them all. I, like many here, have also had some pretty serious crashes. Sometimes I break something small, sometimes more excessive carnage, sometimes none at all. But my costs are fractional in comparison to purchasing, maintaining and repairing the $1000 X Maxx. Give me two 6s Arrmas any day, and you'll get as many, if not more, smiles per dollar spent.
Head to head, it's an E-Revo vs Outcast or Kraton. E-Revo still more expensive out of the box and only 3s. Which one comes out more unscathed in that same collision? Add the $120 M2C or JBRC chassis to the mix, and I think the Arrmas might take an X Maxx out in a good hit too. Still $260 less.
@2015GTRBE, you've been here a while now, and seem fairly intelligent and well spoken, but I can't stop thinking that you have more vested in this industry, than just being a recreational user. Whoever it is you work/worked for, you always come back to comment on or defend Traxxas. Maybe you could just come clean, and let us know what affiliation you have/had in the rc industry, and how recently those affiliations did or didn't terminate.

Lol.... I am not affiliated with Traxxas or Tekno ?. Like in real life with real cars I’m not brand loyal there either. I’d never own a Nissan Maxima or Altima yet I own a GTR because it is what I liked and didn’t care who made it. Sometimes a single product is very good and also shouldn’t define a brand.

I see the RC industry as a teeny tiny hobby and market that needs more support everywhere. It’s more than consumption for me, it is something I’ve loved since I was 9 yrs old.

Are we all being honest here though? You’d have 2 1/8th scale Arrmas over an X maxx because why? I’m curious how you know this when you haven’t owned one? An XMAXX isn’t the cheap plastic that Arrma uses like in my 4s Kraton, it’s actually durable nylon composite that is way tougher than the stuff Arrma uses. It’s simply fact. It’s also a different experience simply due to its size which is also way different to my gas 1/5th scale Losis and Bajas.

Instead of blindly following a brand that sees you as customer #321678, why don’t you try exploring the hobby a bit more to see what else is out there. I’m glad that Arrma has been good to you - genuinely. Maybe it’s the community that you enjoy.. whatever the reason it’s all positive and makes me happy given that I care for this hobby in general. At the end of the day, these are fancy toy cars that are made to be sold and make companies money and being so fiercely brand loyal is a disservice to yourself and the hobby.

Imagine only eating from Pizza Hut when not that far away were 20 other pizza places to try? Why limit yourself? Arrma products are FAR from perfect, and justifiably so. Traxxas makes some dog sh1t products, as does Losi, associated, HPI, thunder tiger, Redcat, Arrma and so on. I will also stand to say that I have one of the nicest and well built Kratons IMO anywhere, so it’s not like I don’t own 2 Arrma products and one with a lot invested. I can actually speak directly first hand of these products given that I own them and saying an X maxx is good is based on my own experience. I’ll post a picture of mine to this thread and you can tell me what you think. Open your mind friend.

View attachment 39690

I also own 2 LC racing truggies and they are nice for what they are. Same designer as the Losi mini 8ight/T. I am waiting for a better servo mount, think they are out soon with the 1/12 buggy.

Last edited:
Lol.... I am not affiliated with Traxxas or Tekno ?. Like in real life with real cars I’m not brand loyal there either. I’d never own a Nissan Maxima or Altima yet I own a GTR because it is what I liked and didn’t care who made it. Sometimes a single product is very good and also shouldn’t define a brand.

I see the RC industry as a teeny tiny hobby and market that needs more support everywhere. It’s more than consumption for me, it is something I’ve loved since I was 9 yrs old.

Are we all being honest here though? You’d have 2 1/8th scale Arrmas over an X maxx because why? I’m curious how you know this when you haven’t owned one? An XMAXX isn’t the cheap plastic that Arrma uses like in my 4s Kraton, it’s actually durable nylon composite that is way tougher than the stuff Arrma uses. It’s simply fact. It’s also a different experience simply due to its size which is also way different to my gas 1/5th scale Losis and Bajas.

Instead of blindly following a brand that sees you as customer #321678, why don’t you try exploring the hobby a bit more to see what else is out there. I’m glad that Arrma has been good to you - genuinely. Maybe it’s the community that you enjoy.. whatever the reason it’s all positive and makes me happy given that I care for this hobby in general. At the end of the day, these are fancy toy cars that are made to be sold and make companies money and being so fiercely brand loyal is a disservice to yourself and the hobby.

Imagine only eating from Pizza Hut when not that far away were 20 other pizza places to try? Why limit yourself? Arrma products are FAR from perfect, and justifiably so. Traxxas makes some dog sh1t products, as does Losi, associated, HPI, thunder tiger, Redcat, Arrma and so on. I will also stand to say that I have one of the nicest and well built Kratons IMO anywhere, so it’s not like I don’t own 2 Arrma products and one with a lot invested. I can actually speak directly first hand of these products given that I own them and saying an X maxx is good is based on my own experience. I’ll post a picture of mine to this thread and you can tell me what you think. Open your mind friend.

I also own 2 LC racing truggies and they are nice for what they are. Same designer as the Losi mini 8ight/T. I am waiting for a better servo mount, think they are out soon with the 1/12 buggy.
I owned two Tamiyas and an RC 10 back in the 80's, and my first truck when joining the hobby again in 2017 was a Slash 4x4 VXL. Except for the chassis, the Slash was in a constant state of repair over the course of one year. Probably was the wrong type of vehicle to buy at the time, but considering its cost, it filled me with high expectations. I would expect that an X Maxx wouldn't be much different, and that is where I am drawing my conclusions from. During my search for something to replace it, I kept asking every lhs owner that I wanted a kit, but availability was low, and the cost made it seem pointless. The popularity of Arrma was just starting to make waves around that time, and the same lhs owner that sold me the Slash, was quick to steer me into one. My Notorious was exactly half the cost of an X Maxx at the time. That's how I got to where I am today, and have grown to really appreciate the simplicity and strength of the brand. You obviously have a broader experience with the rc hobby than i might ever have, and i can appreciate that. I didn't say that you work for Traxxas, I said you have some kind of affiliation to the industry that reaches beyond a recreational user. But if anyone didn't know you, and only read what you have commented on thus far in the Arrma Forum, the assumption would be that you might work for Traxxas or some other company with a strong affiliation to them. No one denies you own Arrmas, but you have a keen way of only posting about what you don't like about them, and an even greater ability at expressing why we should all be looking for anything other than an Arrma. So do you understand why I might be suspicious of your motives for being here? It's 2019, so the idea of dedicated insiders is no longer just part of a fictitious tale, read in a mystery book. It's a way of life that we've all come to realize is part of our new reality. If you say you don't work for Traxxas or anyone else in the industry, I'll accept that as truth. It won't help to explain all the things you've said in the past about what and who you know, so I'll just keep looking at your posts and wondering if maybe I wasn't far off, and put my little Hardy Boys hat back in the closet, next to my 100's of Traxxas Slash parts, take my Notorious outside and send it to the moon. Good news, it comes back almost every time. Scarred and scratched, but always ready for it's next flight. Happy sending!

I did take a first hand look at the XMaxx at the LHS and it is way too big for my taste. Heck, even the Armma 6S line is much larger than I’m used to running (1/10), so that would be the next logical step for me when I graduate from my 3S line.

The new servo mount is available now.

I owned two Tamiyas and an RC 10 back in the 80's, and my first truck when joining the hobby again in 2017 was a Slash 4x4 VXL. Except for the chassis, the Slash was in a constant state of repair over the course of one year. Probably was the wrong type of vehicle to buy at the time, but considering its cost, it filled me with high expectations. I would expect that an X Maxx wouldn't be much different, and that is where I am drawing my conclusions from. During my search for something to replace it, I kept asking every lhs owner that I wanted a kit, but availability was low, and the cost made it seem pointless. The popularity of Arrma was just starting to make waves around that time, and the same lhs owner that sold me the Slash, was quick to steer me into one. My Notorious was exactly half the cost of an X Maxx at the time. That's how I got to where I am today, and have grown to really appreciate the simplicity and strength of the brand. You obviously have a broader experience with the rc hobby than i might ever have, and i can appreciate that. I didn't say that you work for Traxxas, I said you have some kind of affiliation to the industry that reaches beyond a recreational user. But if anyone didn't know you, and only read what you have commented on thus far in the Arrma Forum, the assumption would be that you might work for Traxxas or some other company with a strong affiliation to them. No one denies you own Arrmas, but you have a keen way of only posting about what you don't like about them, and an even greater ability at expressing why we should all be looking for anything other than an Arrma. So do you understand why I might be suspicious of your motives for being here? It's 2019, so the idea of dedicated insiders is no longer just part of a fictitious tale, read in a mystery book. It's a way of life that we've all come to realize is part of our new reality. If you say you don't work for Traxxas or anyone else in the industry, I'll accept that as truth. It won't help to explain all the things you've said in the past about what and who you know, so I'll just keep looking at your posts and wondering if maybe I wasn't far off, and put my little Hardy Boys hat back in the closet, next to my 100's of Traxxas Slash parts, take my Notorious outside and send it to the moon. Good news, it comes back almost every time. Scarred and scratched, but always ready for it's next flight. Happy sending!

To be dead honest with you... I’d skip an X maxx all day long for a Tekno product if I had to recommend someone something that I can stand behind 10000000%. I am lucky enough to own a bunch of Teknos, couple of Arrmas, and an x maxx to compare, but the only product that I’d ever say is near perfect would be the Tekno MT and ET. Tekno if you’re reading this send me free stuff ?

Well despite 2015's indestructible Xmaxx and the flawless Tekno product line, I still wouldn't want a plastic chassis on anything bigger that a 1/10 scale truck. And once you upgrade to an M2C Racing chassis for your Arrma you can pretty much forget about any chassis problems. It is an outstanding product. Thank you, @Mitchell looper !

? I think I got pink eye from reading all that crap! I own several different brands and also boats. I love this place for Arrma info and go to other forums to ask questions about those other brands... I also would not buy anything larger than 1/10 scale without an aluminum chassis. I think that was the point of this thread, right?

? I think I got pink eye from reading all that crap! I own several different brands and also boats. I love this place for Arrma info and go to other forums to ask questions about those other brands... I also would not buy anything larger than 1/10 scale without an aluminum chassis. I think that was the point of this thread, right?
I would actually prefer my stuff to have an aluminum chassis though, I've broken the plastic chassis on almost every 10th scale I've owned :(

I would actually prefer my stuff to have an aluminum chassis though, I've broken the plastic chassis on almost every 10th scale I've owned :(
Yeah, we can be rough on these things! I do have a "1/10" scale Losi Rock Rey that I beat the piss out of... It has an aluminum chassis plate also, and holds up great!

As much as you tote their stuff on the arrma forum they should.
Write a petition :)
Well despite 2015's indestructible Xmaxx and the flawless Tekno product line, I still wouldn't want a plastic chassis on anything bigger that a 1/10 scale truck. And once you upgrade to an M2C Racing chassis for your Arrma you can pretty much forget about any chassis problems. It is an outstanding product. Thank you, @Mitchell looper !

I’ve been using M2C for years... nothing new to me.

Write a petition :)

I’ve been using M2C for years... nothing new to me.
While the company may not be new to you, the Arrma chassis is new to all of us, no? ????

Y
yes it was. CNC aluminum 7075 chassis or bust. “Metal” or “aluminum” doesn’t always mean better if it bends just looking at it.

Nothing better looking than an aluminum chassis 1/8th scale race chassis. 1/5th scale Losis look pretty sick too.

So why does Kevin Talbot swear by them?

LOL.. Thats easy.. Cause he replaced everything that ever broke on it with non-trxxs aftermarket stuff

So why does Kevin Talbot swear by them?

LOL.. Thats easy.. Cause he replaced everything that ever broke on it with non-trxxs aftermarket stuff

Speaking of Kevin Talbot, doesn’t he break all of his Arrmas, x maxx trucks, rustlers, slash, and everything else he touches. Let’s see what happens to your trucks when you launch them 30-40 feet in the air and don’t land them perfectly.

Also he replaces it with Traxxas stuff for the most part. His Arrmas have just bash it everything. He doesn’t respect his stuff at all.

Last edited:
Speaking of Kevin Talbot, doesn’t he break all of his Arrmas, x maxx trucks, rustlers, slash, and everything else he touches. Let’s see what happens to your trucks when you launch them 30-40 feet in the air and don’t land them perfectly. What koolaid are you drinking?
Yeah he drives all of his cars like that, all he cares about is having fun he doesn't care if something breaks.

Speaking of Kevin Talbot, doesn’t he break all of his Arrmas, x maxx trucks, rustlers, slash, and everything else he touches. Let’s see what happens to your trucks when you launch them 30-40 feet in the air and don’t land them perfectly.

Also he replaces it with Traxxas stuff for the most part. His Arrmas have just bash it everything. He doesn’t respect his stuff at all.
Yep, he breaks pretty much everything. Recently he posted a video of an old nitro he had and he was driving it very very gingerly because he knew it was fragile and likely parts hard to find by now. Forget the truck, but reminded me of the xtm x-factor... think it was a kyosho mad force or something a lot like it. It was a solid axle 3 speed transmission nitro.

So he does know when he needs to respect somethings limits. It's just that he doesn't care a ton when it's a truck he can easily get replacement parts for. He beats the living snot out of his traxxas vehicles and oddly enough, the xmaxx and slash usually ends the day still functional. I don't think his main xmaxx is running a traxxas esc/motor, but appears most of the rest of it is OEM.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back