TP 4070 1520kv, 1700kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan's_Rcs

Reaction score
Has anybody used either of these motors( TP 4070 1520kv, 1700kv )geared for high speed off-road and had good success with temps? Currently trying to sort out of my castle 1520 heating up quick in an MT410. Geared for slightly above 60mph, and even in 40 degree weather, the motor gets to 145 degrees without a fan running for 15-20 minutes. I also drive WOT for basically the whole pack.

Is this expected with my type of gearing/driving style, and do you think that a larger motor would help with heat, or would it still heat up as well?
Trying to sort this out because I really don't want to spend $150 on a new motor just to have it do the same thing that I'm experiencing now.

Thanks!

What sort of gearing?
For what it is worth 145 deg is pretty normal and also considered safe.

A motor fan may ultimately be what you need.

I don't know that going from a 41.5 x 88mm 1650kv to 40 x 107mm 1700kv is going to make enough difference.

People seem to love the HW4985 1650kv motor for heavy Kraton/Outcast bashers.

What sort of gearing?
For what it is worth 145 deg is pretty normal and also considered safe.

A motor fan may ultimately be what you need.

I don't know that going from a 41.5 x 88mm 1650kv to 40 x 107mm 1700kv is going to make enough difference.

People seem to love the HW4985 1650kv motor for heavy Kraton/Outcast bashers.
Yeah, I know that 145 is pretty safe, but again, it's only 40 degrees outside. The temperature would rise significantly with higher ambient temps, and then I would be overheating. That's why I wonder about it.

I'm also going to purchase a Hobao SSTE, and will need a new motor for that anyway, so part of me wants to try the TP motor just to see if it makes any difference at all.

Yeah, I know that 145 is pretty safe, but again, it's only 40 degrees outside. The temperature would rise significantly with higher ambient temps, and then I would be overheating. That's why I wonder about it.

I'm also going to purchase a Hobao SSTE, and will need a new motor for that anyway, so part of me wants to try the TP motor just to see if it makes any difference at all.

My point is that 1650 kv is normally pretty safe for these rigs so you need to look into adding a good fan setup on it.
I have the 1700 kv TP4070 but only ever used it in my RC boat.

Hopefully others can chime in.

The 1520kv may be the answer since you have a heavy trigger finger to help keep the rpms down.

Last edited:
Man you’ve been talking about this for months 🤣

I’ll say it again - the 1520 is really good for the MT410. If you install a heavier motor the truck’s handling will suffer significantly.

Why haven’t you added a fan?

Edit: this fan mount works well on the MT410 since it doesn’t require much room

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back