Transmitter/Receiver recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the range difference between say a GT5 and RC6GS that noticeable? Again, i've had no issues with my GT5 at around 1000 ft when speed running, so i haven't felt any immediate concern to look for something with longer range until i start looking for a larger area to speed run.

IE, would it be wise to switch over to an RC6GS for that?

Last edited:
Good point. $20 a piece for receivers is reasonable of course, but I don't like paying for features I have no desire or need for. Same goes for the channels. Seems like all these companies are trying to one up each other by adding more and more channels to these things. I realize I'm the minority but, who needs 8 channels in a ground rc? TBH, I need 2. That's it.🤷‍♂️
Well considering it's actually $18 for a Radiolink RX with Gyro & $16 for a Radiolink RX without Gyro on Amazon.... you aren't paying much of a penalty for the extra feature. Or save the two bucks and buy them without if you don't care.

You are right though, all these companies are stuffing more channels in and more features in a race to the bottom.... buy the cheapest one you are comfortable with and you will probably be happy. It's hard to find a truly bad Tx/Rx combo these days.

Is the range difference between say a GT5 and RC6GS that noticeable? Again, i've had no issues with my GT5 at around 1000 ft when speed running, so i haven't felt any immediate concern to look for something with longer range until i start looking for a larger area to speed run.

What are your PB speeds, how far do you run??? Its quite easy to hit 1200ft doing 100+mph Speed passes. What my Performance Analyzer shows at least.
We all do this differently.
RC6GS and -4GS is the clear winner range wise. And Frame Rates are superb for it price point as well. Frame rate is often overlooked and matters so much as well. RTR boxed radios have the Worst frame rates. So when upgrading , this is also one important consideration as an Upgrade. And the further your distance to the model, the Frame rates can peter out. Feeling somewhat disconnected, when it counts most as you decelerate you speed far away.
The GT5 looks to be a great radio otherwise, no doubt. Even looks nicer, I will admit. Looks can be deceiving.....IDK.

Last edited:
What are your PB speeds, how long do you run??? Its quite easy to hit 1200ft doing 100+mph Speed passes.
RC6GS and -4GS is the clear winner range wise. And Frame Rates are superb for it price point as well.
The GT5 looks to be a great radio otherwise, no doubt. Even looks nicer, I will admit.
Yeah, some of them are fugly..GT3b being one of the most fugly. It works, I can't complain.
Well considering it's actually $18 for a Radiolink RX with Gyro & $16 for a Radiolink RX without Gyro on Amazon.... you aren't paying much of a penalty for the extra feature. Or save the two bucks and buy them without if you don't care.

You are right though, all these companies are stuffing more channels in and more features in a race to the bottom.... buy the cheapest one you are comfortable with and you will probably be happy. It's hard to find a truly bad Tx/Rx combo these days.
If we go slowboat from AliEx, prices are dirt cheap. The RC4GS can be had for like $45, with R6FG receiver..receivers are around $7 for non gyro, $10 with.. that's pretty darned good! Sure there are even better deals on AliEx but I'm not privy with their site. Seems the non gyro receivers are sold out too.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131-153514_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131-153514_Samsung Internet.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I never said the RC6GS was a beauty. Far from it.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It just has plenty of range for speed running and all the Features you would ever need as upgrade radios go.
I'm sorry but my other NB4 radio spoiled me......when it comes to the looks dept.:giggle:
But will never give me the signal range of a RC6GS out the box.
Unless you boost mod it.

Awesome feedback and info from everyone, really appreciate it.
I do try to buy what I can (esp big purchases) from my LHS as they have a 10% rebate loyalty program which can be redeemed up to 50% of purchases and its 20min away. I did ok buying my K6S and batteries/charger there. I will price shop and look for the best deals in the end.

They have the following in stock
Radiolink RCg6S v3 & RC8X
FlySky GT3 & GT5 & NB4
Futaba 4PM
Sanwa MX-6
And pretty much every Spektrum model

Must be a good LHS. They have much to offer.
Most LHS's, if any, near me don't have that all in stock. They will order it, but I can do the same from my home and have it delivered to my door. Good to support a decent and caring LHS. (y)
Many are not. They simply push what they want to sell you. Often discrediting what you ask for. Like they know best. Been there.
Sometimes best to buy some RC things from Online with recommendations from actual users here on AF.
You just need more confidence with this hobby, to know what you want and actually need, and it will all click for you.

Must be a good LHS. They have much to offer.
Most LHS's, if any, near me don't have that all in stock. They will order it, but I can do the same from my home and have it delivered to my door. Good to support a decent and caring LHS. (y)
Many are not. They simply push what they want to sell you. Often discrediting what you ask for. Like they know best. Been there.
Sometimes best to buy some RC things from Online with recommendations from actual users here on AF.
You just need more confidence with this hobby, to know what you want and actually need, and it will all click for you.
Indeed, that's impressive that an LHS is offering all those. Must be owned/operated by young blood. Nice.
So far it's looking like the Radiolink is packing the best value. The RC4GS would definitely handle my needs.

What are your PB speeds, how far do you run??? Its quite easy to hit 1200ft doing 100+mph Speed passes. What my Performance Analyzer shows at least.
RC6GS and -4GS is the clear winner range wise. And Frame Rates are superb for it price point as well. Frame rate is often overlooked and matters so much as well. RTR boxed radios have the Worst frame rates. So when upgrading , this is also one important consideration as an Upgrade. And the further your distance to the model, the Frame rates can peter out. Feeling somewhat disconnected, when it counts most as you decelerate you speed far away.
The GT5 looks to be a great radio otherwise, no doubt. Even looks nicer, I will admit. Looks can be deceiving.....IDK.
I'm currently sub 100mph with a 1400ft stretch of road, iirc. Haven't seemed to have any issues with latency. I did many slow passes at the far end of the stretch to validate connectivity before attempting full speed passes at my speed range. Eventually i'll get to 100 with this platform. But for sure if I get into serious speed running, i don't intend to stand by the GT5 as the go to option for doing high speed passes :ROFLMAO:

Mostly I was just trying to gauge whether I was driving on a ticking time bomb!

Good point. $20 a piece for receivers is reasonable of course, but I don't like paying for features I have no desire or need for. Same goes for the channels. Seems like all these companies are trying to one up each other by adding more and more channels to these things. I realize I'm the minority but, who needs 8 channels in a ground rc? TBH, I need 2. That's it.🤷‍♂️
You really need three. And, as for gyro, if you decide to get the Radiolink get the dual antenna gyro receiver!! Even if you don’t want a gyro. And just for grins, enable the gyro, reduce the gain to around 15%, and tell me you don’t love it…
Yes.
Yeah, some of them are fugly..GT3b being one of the most fugly. It works, I can't complain.

If we go slowboat from AliEx, prices are dirt cheap. The RC4GS can be had for like $45, with R6FG receiver..receivers are around $7 for non gyro, $10 with.. that's pretty darned good! Sure there are even better deals on AliEx but I'm not privy with their site. Seems the non gyro receivers are sold out too.
I agree, Radiolink is cheap looking and cheap feeling. They just work great. As for the receivers, get the dual antenna gyro receivers, again, even if you never enable the gyro. As mentioned, they are disabled by default.

You really need three. And, as for gyro, if you decide to get the Radiolink get the dual antenna gyro receiver!! Even if you don’t want a gyro. And just for grins, enable the gyro, reduce the gain to around 15%, and tell me you don’t love it…

Yes.

I agree, Radiolink is cheap looking and cheap feeling. They just work great. As for the receivers, get the dual antenna gyro receivers, again, even if you never enable the gyro. As mentioned, they are disabled by default.
I suppose 3 channel is a good minimum for fan connections. What will I gain from the gyro at 15%?
Is there a benefit going from RG4 to RG6?

Indeed, that's impressive that an LHS is offering all those. Must be owned/operated by young blood. Nice.
So far it's looking like the Radiolink is packing the best value. The RC4GS would definitely handle my needs.
RC4 GS works also. You don't need so many extra channels for surface RC'ing.
The small difference in price between the RC4 and RC6 is slim, but you get the better Rx. with the RC6. And a few more meaningless bells and whistles if that even matters. Range and Performance is the same if using the same Rx on either one.

I suppose 3 channel is a good minimum for fan connections. What will I gain from the gyro at 15%?
The gyro helps you stay on track even at a low setting.... set it too high and you will start gaining unwanted control and/or the servo starts getting twitchy as it tries to correct for everything. I would say definitely don't go over about 30% with the Radiolink. Not sure about other brands.

Dumbo ddf 350 around $60 on ebay. I've been using dumbo for years. It has the same range and no lag as my futaba 7pxr. IMO the BEST budget radio around.

Back