Traxxas Stampede 2wd 3S Basher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
So, after thinking a lot I decided to [maybe make a mistake and] buy a Traxxas Stampede 2wd. I don't even know why, but I just wanted to buy the Truck and try a Traxxas product myself, although I heard enough negative feedback about them.

If you are like me and are thinking about buying one, or just want to know how I like the Truck, this thread is for you. I will post my experiences with the Truck and what Tuning it will need / I will do while time goes on and how many stuff will break.

My plan is to build a fun 2wd Brushless Monster Truck that will be driven mainly on 3S.

To start with, I just bought a new Traxxas Stampede XL-5. To be more exact, I bought it at my local hobby shop in Roller form (without Radio, Servo, Motor Combo ; logically I got a little discount as he could keep the stock electronics). Also, because the wrong colour got delivered, he gave me the option to choose any Stampede Body he had in stock. I decided to go with the Stampede VXL body with the prepainted graphics but without the main paint, for which I've chosen Tamiya Metallic Purple (he even gave me a discount because the not completely painted body is cheaper => I paid only 1€ more with the Tamiya Paint included). Purple might be a strange colour choice, but I wanted a colour which would fit while not being one of the often chosen colours. The colour also got bonus points because my girlfriend liked it. :D

As electronics I used the following stuff I had laying around:
  • Arrma BLX80 combo
  • Arrma ADS-7M servo
  • stock Arrma Tactic radio
As Lipos I will be using some gensacearespammers 4500mah 3S Hardcasees for the moment.

While the Truck is not even build up completely, I already see the first upgrade which will need to be done soon: Changing the Bushings for the axles to Ball Bearings. Seriously, there are enough cheaper Brushed RTRs which come with full Ball Bearings....

I will try to keep this thread updated, so if you're interested, stay tuned. :D

And just to make this clear: This is completely unbiased. I definitely am not a Fanboy as this is my first Traxxas. Also, I didn't buy it to just talk badly about it...I am a student, I wouldn't spend money just to bash on a brand.

I look forward to this. My first hobby grade RC was a 2wd Stampede and I swear I loved that thing. I bashed it super hard and only broke a front shock and an arm. It was really fun but then I moved onto 4wd but I really want to go back to it. I bought a rustler chassis and am looking to go brushless. 2wd can be quite fun.

Get a wheelie bar and some sticky weights for front.. it won’t ever stay down... the brushed transmission is plastic gears(the brushless motor will rip it apart) so prepare for that, the store owner should have informed you of that unless they have changed this... but it is a fun wheelie machine at 50 mph with 86 spur and 28 or 31 pinion!

Good to hear.. never understood their line of thinking...but I can attest it will be fast.. it will handle awful but man is it fuuuuuuuun... I still have my stampede brushless conversion!.. my kids love it!.. 200 yard wheelies has to make you giggle!

I have one 2wd truck and would have a 2wd nitro stampede if it was 2 speed, but I don't think I'd like my stampede 4x4 if it was 2wd. 4wd makes it a lot less sketchy to drive, although still pretty sketchy at speed.

My converted eJato is 2wd and quite a bit of fun, but it doesn't get around in the grass and whatnot as the 4x4 does. Especially when the ground is cold. It just spins out all the time. lol!

Yeah, I know what you mean about the Handling...but that is exactly what I wanted. I wanted an almost undrivable Wheely Machine primarily for fun :D

@joostin420 That's a nice looking build man, well done, lucky nephew! :D

So, here are some pictures of it before it's first ride...I have to say, I somehow really like the simplicity of the Chassis, and I love how the Purple Compliments the VXL look.

I just gave this thing it's first spin...man does it Wheely! It is actually hard to aclerate with all 4 tires on the ground...I think I will have to invest in a Wheely Bar soon (Yes, I could loosen the slipper...but that would be lame :p ). But I love the Handling of that thing...it may not be good, but it really is a lot of fun. :D

Attachments

• IMG-20190216-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0005.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG-20190216-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0002.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG-20190216-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0003.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG-20190216-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0004.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG-20190216-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0007.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG-20190216-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0008.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG-20190216-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20190216-WA0006.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 185
Sooo, after about 4 packs I have to say, I really like the Truck. Nothing on the chassis broke so far (granted, I only did light Bashing).
It is a lot of fun to drive, but can be challenging, especially without a Wheely Bar.

The only problems so far are a lost lower spring retainer (for which I used a more or less fitting one from Tamiya to keep running) and the body. The body really is fragile, it already has some big cracks. I mean fair enough, I don't care for the cracks at the back (like I said, no Wheely Bar), but cracks where the Body Clips sit (pictures down below), big enough that the body jumps over the clips at bigger hits? Really?

Also, I went to the Hobbyshop today and bought & installed the following stuff:
  • new original spring retainers
  • 19 tooth pinion (I didn't want to jump straight from the 16 to the 21 tooth, especially as I drive offroad)
  • Heatsink (no, it doesn't run too hot; If it did, I wouldn't up the pinion size...but a cooler Motor is never a bad idea)

The next thing the Truck is going to get will be ball bearings at the Wheels...I saw that they still supply bushings... .
But the Wheely Bar will have to wait, I'm thinking about the T-Bone rear bumper instead.

Attachments

• IMG-20190219-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20190219-WA0003.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG-20190219-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20190219-WA0002.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG-20190219-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20190219-WA0000.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG-20190219-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190219-WA0001.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 76
Yeah the body is notorious for ripping through at the rear body posts.
I would at the very least get aluminum shock caps, MIP driveshafts, STRC aluminum caster blocks and some better tires.

It's just a bad design of the body post hole location on the Stampede body (not only the cheap body). I put drywall mesh tape and E6000 around the body holes seems to help.

The heat sinks I have found that work with my 2wds is one like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeah-Racin...sh=item211906a3ec:g:tqMAAOSwNRdYBuDp:rk:12??0

I like T-Bone Racing wheelie bars have one on my Rustler and HPI Firestorm although sometimes I wish they were adjustable.

It's just a bad design of the body post hole location on the Stampede body (not only the cheap body). I put drywall mesh tape and E6000 around the body holes seems to help.

The heat sinks I have found that work with my 2wds is one like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yeah-Racin...sh=item211906a3ec:g:tqMAAOSwNRdYBuDp:rk:12??0

I like T-Bone Racing wheelie bars have one on my Rustler and HPI Firestorm although sometimes I wish they were adjustable.
The Proline Raptor body has the same issue. I think it's just bad placement of the body mounts.

I got my son a 2wd stampede for christmas, so far we have put a brushless motor in it, hobbywing esc, hub extenders, better shocks, bearings, bumper and wheelie bar and a new body that looks like an old ford. It is super fun running 2s, but I'm going to get a 3s battery soon for it and see what happens! Its already way faster and more stable than stock, the hub extenders help this thing immensely!

I got my son a 2wd stampede for christmas, so far we have put a brushless motor in it, hobbywing esc, hub extenders, better shocks, bearings, bumper and wheelie bar and a new body that looks like an old ford. It is super fun running 2s, but I'm going to get a 3s battery soon for it and see what happens! Its already way faster and more stable than stock, the hub extenders help this thing immensely!
View attachment 30558
Your front tires are on backwards.

I cut up my stock rear body mount/post thing to move them closer to the center. Then I found some 1-1.5mm delrin "fender" washers and taped those to the underside of the body. Unfortunately, the body was already well abused by then, but it helped me eek a few more months of bashing out of it. I just got a cheap body for my 4x4 stampede vxl off ebay for $20. Pretty sure my wife just bought me 2 more for my b-day in a couple weeks. Those will start out life by having the fender washers and reinforced tape everywhere.

I also found that adding a roll bar to keep the body from buckling in on itself really helps extend the life of the body too. I'm assuming the 2wd version has similar issues to the 4wd version in regards to the body.

These were the washers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Traxxas...-Rustler-Stampede-Washer-TRA1815/121879295912

I cut up my stock rear body mount/post thing to move them closer to the center. Then I found some 1-1.5mm delrin "fender" washers and taped those to the underside of the body. Unfortunately, the body was already well abused by then, but it helped me eek a few more months of bashing out of it. I just got a cheap body for my 4x4 stampede vxl off ebay for $20. Pretty sure my wife just bought me 2 more for my b-day in a couple weeks. Those will start out life by having the fender washers and reinforced tape everywhere.

I also found that adding a roll bar to keep the body from buckling in on itself really helps extend the life of the body too. I'm assuming the 2wd version has similar issues to the 4wd version in regards to the body.

These were the washers:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Traxxas...-Rustler-Stampede-Washer-TRA1815/121879295912
Those $20 bodies off ebay need reinforcement trust me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back