Traxxas T-Maxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xpress..

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Outcast 8s
Anyone got one? I love tinkering so Nitro is always fun to me. The T-Maxx was the first RC car I ever saw so I have some sentiment for it despite the fact that I'm an Arrma guy through and through. I owned one years ago and had the itch again.

Planning on a forward only conversion, a smattering of RPM parts, and will probably ditch the traxxass 2.5 for an OS 21. I would have gone straight for the 3.3 version but I wanted the SWB chassis.

20230218_104828.jpg

20230220_173301.jpg

I had a T-Maxx 2.5 that I bought used several years ago. Other than a bent shock shaft, it was in good condition. Nitro was fun for a while, but I got tired of all the maintenance required to keep the engine running at peak performance. After a few minor upgrades (aluminum chassis braces, new wheels and tires, and more) and a couple of years of use I gave it to my adult stepson, the one who got me into RC at the ripe old age of 64.

The major issue with these stock engines seems to be the stock plastic carb, makes it impossible to find a tune and they just run like garbage. I have an OS 11K carb on the way that should drastically help and give way more bottom end power.

You will not be able to put a OS.21 in that unless you’re talking about the TM. You’d need a bump start and a big block mount and won’t work on a Tmaxx. Look at the OS.18TZ. That thing is a beastly little engine that screams out RPM. They make them with a pull start back plate now. Obviously upgrade your servos and get a steel spur. 3 shoe aluminum clutch, easy to file off the burrs.

Last edited:
You will not be able to put a OS.21 in that unless you’re talking about the TM. You’d need a bump start and a big block mount and won’t work on a Tmaxx. Look at the OS.18TZ. That thing is a beastly little engine that screams out RPM. They make them with a pull start back plate now. Obviously upgrade your servos and get a steel spur. 3 shoe aluminum clutch, easy to file off the burrs.

Yes it's the TM model. Servo upgrade and steel spur is in the works, just ordered a forward only conversion for it as well. Reverse worked for about 2 runs and now it won't engage it anymore so might as well ditch it and the rest of the junk for it.

Who makes a decent 3 shoe clutch? Hot Racing?

Yes it's the TM model. Servo upgrade and steel spur is in the works, just ordered a forward only conversion for it as well. Reverse worked for about 2 runs and now it won't engage it anymore so might as well ditch it and the rest of the junk for it.

Who makes a decent 3 shoe clutch? Hot Racing?
I like werks clutches. A 4 shoe would work too. Just a bit harder to do maintenance on the burrs.

Look into that TZ, it’s a rabid animal on VP 30%! It makes more power than the TM even though it’s smaller.

Not finding an outlet that sells that motor any longer, plus I can get a nice hookup on the 21.

Not finding an outlet that sells that motor any longer, plus I can get a nice hookup on the 21.
I had a 2.5 that I put a Picco .26 in. I had to remove it once I stripped out second gear 🤣 I’ll post up some old pics later when I get home.

The TM is a great choice. They hold a great tune all the time!

I'll puck with the 2.5 and the 11K carb for a while longer before I decide to donate it to my glow motor repository on my shelf. Or it would be cooler if I grenaded it. Forward only conversion on the way as well, just thinking about what else I want to blow money on today before I stop :unsure:

I'll puck with the 2.5 and the 11K carb for a while longer before I decide to donate it to my glow motor repository on my shelf. Or it would be cooler if I grenaded it. Forward only conversion on the way as well, just thinking about what else I want to blow money on today before I stop :unsure:
40%, hot plug and remove the head shim. You'll have a nice firework show :LOL:

1/2 offset Truggy tires on it, it was planted in corners, but it was on 2 wheels or its lid most of the time with that engine. I had a Picco in this and in my revo.

They are fun MT's for sure except the stock crap they come with.

xmas2010003.jpg

You like nitro? Cool. Wanna buy my newish Revo 3.3? I kind of hate it right now. lol
No, but I always accept free donations to fuel my addiction... 😆
40%, hot plug and remove the head shim. You'll have a nice firework show :LOL:

1/2 offset Truggy tires on it, it was planted in corners, but it was on 2 wheels or its lid most of the time with that engine. I had a Picco in this and in my revo.

They are fun MT's for sure except the stock crap they come with.

View attachment 280354

Hot. Though I think I like the big tire look on this truck the best. Have been eyeballing Kraton 4s and 6s tires in my garage to see what might look best but still give solid air control.

Last edited:
Really want to get a T-Maxx 3.3, maybe this year.

Got bored with the weaksauce 2.5 and slapped a 3.3 in and upgraded from the stock plastic shetpipe to a resonator. It went from not ripping wheelies to ripping wheelies :ROFLMAO:

I installed a torque control clutch kit today, just trying to find a steel spur for it now. An afternoon rip today destroyed a rear driveshaft so I guess I've got to upgrade driveshafts now.

20230310_172911.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back