Trouble with xlx2 power wire terminal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARRMA-GET’M

Reaction score
Has anybody ever had trouble with the xlx2’s main power wire terminals/post? Any integrity issues? The epoxy cracking or coming off or terminals coming loose? water proof issues, hot wires or any newly discovered flaws? How durable is your xlx2?

07D2384F-FC55-4E85-B829-88682B343756.jpeg

1BB1E2B7-B425-4427-8BAA-3BC853798D01.jpeg

F31ACED7-6830-41E6-9F74-46D3B987673F.jpeg

Has anybody ever had trouble with the xlx2’s main power wire terminals/post? Any integrity issues? The epoxy cracking or coming off or terminals coming loose? water proof issues, hot wires or any newly discovered flaws? How durable is your xlx2?

View attachment 226699

View attachment 226700

View attachment 226701
That one is cooked. Don’t connect a lipo back to it. Smoke and fire are in your near future. You can send it to Castle for a non-warranty repair/swap as that won’t be covered under warranty.

I would put it back together and contact castle, I’m sure if it’s a defect they will fix the issue
At the time of the event, wiggling it back straight turned everything back on but I also saw a red glow at the connection with the board. The entire board is in a pool of epoxy so there’s no way to “properly” repair it from the back side and inspect that there’s no other damage.

That one is cooked. Don’t connect a lipo back to it. Smoke and fire are in your near future. You can send it to Castle for a non-warranty repair/swap as that won’t be covered under warranty.
Yes…. They told me that it was “ABUSE”.. let’s be honest with each other, those posts are TALL and HEAVY. The power wires are also HEAVY and so are the QS8 connectors that are highly recommended. All that weight is enough to weaken and dislodge the power terminal from the circuit board. None the less there is NO support to secure those posts like all other ESC have. The casing on the ESC should secure the wires with just a hole where the wires are fed through to prevent snagging the wires. In order for the esc to have been abusively used, my truck would have to be put through even MORE abuse in order to exceed the ESC’s limits of durability. This XLX2 was literally intended to replace the ESC’s that come in the 1/5 Kraton BLX and EXB extreme bash… and XMAX right? This XLX2 should be built to withstand the driving conditions and environments that the rc vehicles were literally built to survive. So with all that said.., NONE of the other existing ESC’s that were made to be used in large 1/5 scale vehicles have ever had a power terminal dislodged from its circuitry because they’r power wires are all secured by the casing that houses the electrical components. NOTE: this is how my setup looks and the condition I keep it in. I don’t abuse it and my wire slack is not too tight not too much slack. I don’t use zip ties because no manufacturers ever recommend that. If the power terminals weren’t SO TALL or if the casing were to secure the wires from pulling on the terminals, then this would never happen. All and any off road rc vehicles are expected to tumble and take multiple jumps so you CANT mass produce a durable RC with a slogan that says BLAST IT AND BASH IT only to be limited by a weak point on a high grade esc and say the ESC was abused when the rc truck itself has not even been abused at all. I’m very upset because castle told me I abused the esc.

43C347F7-8299-41E2-A857-9503C2DDB818.png

AEF46897-8720-4DA4-8D3D-DFA8A22C142E.jpeg

41DA3C96-5E98-4601-9E69-B4303025537F.jpeg

XLX2 is not made for bashing, that is one of those reasons. Yes, it's toast and do not connect another lipo to it. Sounds like the majority of the connection is already burned up in the board. Anything else could cause a major fire or might just be a dud. At any rate, nothing good can come from it.

Yes…. They told me that it was “ABUSE”.. let’s be honest with each other, those posts are TALL and HEAVY. The power wires are also HEAVY and so are the QS8 connectors that are highly recommended. All that weight is enough to weaken and dislodge the power terminal from the circuit board. None the less there is NO support to secure those posts like all other ESC have. The casing on the ESC should secure the wires with just a hole where the wires are fed through to prevent snagging the wires. In order for the esc to have been abusively used, my truck would have to be put through even MORE abuse in order to exceed the ESC’s limits of durability. This XLX2 was literally intended to replace the ESC’s that come in the 1/5 Kraton BLX and EXB extreme bash… and XMAX right? This XLX2 should be built to withstand the driving conditions and environments that the rc vehicles were literally built to survive. So with all that said.., NONE of the other existing ESC’s that were made to be used in large 1/5 scale vehicles have ever had a power terminal dislodged from its circuitry because they’r power wires are all secured by the casing that houses the electrical components. NOTE: this is how my setup looks and the condition I keep it in. I don’t abuse it and my wire slack is not too tight not too much slack. I don’t use zip ties because no manufacturers ever recommend that. If the power terminals weren’t SO TALL or if the casing were to secure the wires from pulling on the terminals, then this would never happen. All and any off road rc vehicles are expected to tumble and take multiple jumps so you CANT mass produce a durable RC with a slogan that says BLAST IT AND BASH IT only to be limited by a weak point on a high grade esc and say the ESC was abused when the rc truck itself has not even been abused at all. I’m very upset because castle told me I abused the esc.

View attachment 226829

View attachment 226830

View attachment 226831
I’m not sure how they market it. I would say it’s a speed run ESC first and foremost. I would run a Hobbywing in a basher myself. But my initial response was more about how I know they will handle it, less of my personal judgement of your issue.

XLX2 is not made for bashing, that is one of those reasons. Yes, it's toast and do not connect another lipo to it. Sounds like the majority of the connection is already burned up in the board. Anything else could cause a major fire or might just be a dud. At any rate, nothing good can come from it.
Okay bro let’s Tango…. I buy an 1100kv
15 horse power motor and a 500amp water proof esc rated for 45 pound trucks and installed it into EXACTLY what Castle says the xlx2 was DESIGNED FOR… QUOTE
“INCREDIBLE POWER UPGRADE” for the Losi DBXL-E, SUPER ROCK, ARRMA KRATON 8s, ARRMA OUTKAST 8s and
TRAXXAS X-MAX…. and you tell me that the xlx2 was never made for bashing??🤷‍♂️

ON CASTL’S WEBSITE THERE IS A 1/5 KRATON PULLING “TWO CARS” CHAINED TOGETHER ON THE STREET WHILE ADVERTISING THE XLX2 MOTOR/ESC COMBO!!!! IF THAT’S NOT ABUSE THEN WHAT IS???….. me jumping a 5 foot hill with their combo in the same size scale truck is was designed for. Anything that is an “upgrade” to something on any level should be able to survive the same conditions and elements as the original item it is competing against.

Every esc on the market has great protection surrounding the main power wires that exit the circuitry. The xlx2 is the only esc with two large power terminals 20mm tall and has zero support to keep the posts or wires secured from being snagged out of the circuitry. “THEY CALL IT THEIR UNIQUE OPEN HOUSING DESIGN.. That is a design flaw, they chose esthetics over functionality.

A19B44CF-83C1-4ECE-82AE-468E94296F94.jpeg

A43943DB-3EA6-42F0-97F6-84D7AF68322C.png

If this was the result of a crash then yes it can be fixed. I have resoldered a few as have many others. they get ripped off if a lipo comes out of the car.
All other ESC’s have a case which also surrounds the main power wires tightly whether they go into a post or straight to the board. I didn’t crash it but the truck has taken some tumbles in the past but not even the worst of them wasn’t enough to cause any damage to the truck or any of its parts. Also any battery plug will unplug itself if it flies out before it pulls out of a solder joint, no battery plug is harder than a solder joint to pull apart, that plug would not sell and we’d all know about it. You can’t zip tie any of these wires or plugs down bcs if the esc flies out, then yes the esc will get damaged or youll rip it from the Lipo and that’s also very dangerous. Everything in the whole build is like 7 months old. $260 before taxes plus a $160 replacement. That’s a $430 esc before the first year. It’s not like there was a disclaimer between the xlx2 and 1/5 kraton.

@ARRMA-GET’M there is marketing and there is reality.
Pulling trucks on the road is not jumping and crashing.
Those power poles will rip off during bashing and the heat sink might dislodge due to weight and impact force, else they are fine.
Speed runs are somewhat OK as nobody plans on jumping or crashing while bashing is planned mayhem, hence my statement.
No argument that speed runs will result in crashes but any ESC might get damaged in those circumstances.

So, just to be clear, this is meant tongue-in-cheek...so don't go all hakuna matata on me.

View attachment 226950

Technically...this is showing an on-road use case. I meant to say Hara Kiri so...yeah.
Jamie Morrison made a video on how he repaired his XLX2 where one of those connectors got yanked out. He's been running the repaired ESC for quite some time now making one 155mph pass after another.
I really appreciate sharing this video I’ll take a look at it. Even though tampering will void warranty, they still have a tier two warranty replacement at cost.. but…. Idk what they will tell me if I need a tier two non warranty replacement if it catches fire bcs something else got damaged besides the post’s solder joint. It’ll have to be my very last resort.

I really appreciate sharing this video I’ll take a look at it. Even though tampering will void warranty, they still have a tier two warranty replacement at cost.. but…. Idk what they will tell me if I need a tier two non warranty replacement if it catches fire bcs something else got damaged besides the post’s solder joint. It’ll have to be my very last resort.
FWIW, a tier two replacement for an MMX8S costs $130. I speak from experience. I did have the good fortune that they accidentally sent an XLX2 back however :LOL:

So, just to be clear, this is meant tongue-in-cheek...so don't go all hakuna matata on me.

View attachment 226950

Technically...this is showing an on-road use case. I meant to say Hara Kiri so...yeah.
No no grudges lol, the fellowship on this forum is more important than any debate. I’m disappointed with the manufacture for the following reasons::: The xlx2 was DIRECTLY advertised towards FIVE OF THE MOST EXTREME 1/5 SCALE OFF ROAD VEHICLES. We know that manufactures listen to their consumers, the speed control was created because consumers were asking for something more. So they created the XLX2 and showed us what it could do and told us all the applications it was intended for. There are no disclaimers like there were with the speed run motor 1728 and nothing in the warranty description mentions anything about the fragility of the terminal posts nor were there any disclaimers on riding jumps with your KRATON EXTREME BASH TRUCK. The length of the power wires of the esc were not modified in anyway and I used QS8 connectors like highly recommended. My batteries were also within specifications and recommendations and the truck itself was completely stock as it came out of the box. In order for Castle Crations to exempt warranty, They’re going to have to show me a disclaimer where the speed control was used out of its application or intended use. We know that it is an incredible replacement for the 1/5 KRATON EXB, so show me what I am allowed to do with my RC truck and what I am not allowed to do with my rc truck. The only difference between the phrase bashing or crashing
Is whether you land on your wheels or the roof of the RC car. You’re not going to tell me that if I land on the roof of my truck that it’s going to void the warranty on my speed control? I will post this page from Castle Crations one more time so you guys can read the facts because it seems like everybody works for Castle creations all the sudden. This means that the XLX2 speed control is NOT intended for off-road use! That would be the disclaimer Castle creations would have needed in order for them to waive warranty on the speed control for this weak point. Instead, they highly recommend it for large 1/5 scale off-road vehicles. Nowhere does it say ON-ROAD USE ONLY! And no….. a 1/5 Kraton extreme bash truck pulling TWO 4 door sedans chained together with the guy sitting ontop of the rc truck and a FIVE POUND WEIGHT on the front of the rc truck is in NOOOO WAYY an on-road use application., your not fooling anyone with that.

Every speed control on the market has great protection within keeping the power wires from being pulled out of the circuitry while the XLX2 is the only speed control with its circuit tree vulnerably exposed. Not even Castle‘s previous speed controls are this exposed. Let’s read Castle‘s statement once again highlighted and here are some pictures of speed control comparisons.

549F8645-AF97-4C25-B643-2EA2E384AA04.jpeg

2B46D6E1-1275-4210-842A-5A72F6CF55EA.jpeg

958979F0-B8B6-4431-8465-507DC4E3BBD0.jpeg

Last edited:
No no grudges lol, the fellowship on this forum is more important than any debate. I’m disappointed with the manufacture for the following reasons::: The xlx2 was DIRECTLY advertised towards FIVE OF THE MOST EXTREME 1/5 SCALE OFF ROAD VEHICLES. We know that manufactures listen to their consumers, the speed control was created because consumers were asking for something more. So they created the XLX2 and showed us what it could do and told us all the applications it was intended for. There are no disclaimers like there were with the speed run motor 1728 and nothing in the warranty description mentions anything about the fragility of the terminal posts nor were there any disclaimers on riding jumps with your KRATON EXTREME BASH TRUCK. The length of the power wires of the esc were not modified in anyway and I used QS8 connectors like highly recommended. My batteries were also within specifications and recommendations and the truck itself was completely stock as it came out of the box. In order for Castle Crations to exempt warranty, They’re going to have to show me a disclaimer where the speed control was used out of its application or intended use. We know that it is an incredible replacement for the 1/5 KRATON EXB, so show me what I am allowed to do with my RC truck and what I am not allowed to do with my rc truck. The only difference between the phrase bashing or crashing
Is whether you land on your wheels or the roof of the RC car. You’re not going to tell me that if I land on the roof of my truck that it’s going to void the warranty on my speed control? I will post this page from Castle Crations one more time so you guys can read the facts because it seems like everybody works for Castle creations all the sudden.

View attachment 227034
All good man, I hear what you're saying. I think it's a fair assumption that off road vehicles are going to take tumbles. It's an understood part of the game and shouldn't count as "abuse". Sending vehicles 50' up in the air is a different matter entirely, but that's not what you're doing. From what you've written it sounds like you use it as one would expect these vehicles to be used.

All good man, I hear what you're saying. I think it's a fair assumption that off road vehicles are going to take tumbles. It's an understood part of the game and shouldn't count as "abuse". Sending vehicles 50' up in the air is a different matter entirely, but that's not what you're doing. From what you've written it sounds like you use it as one would expect these vehicles to be used.
Thank you for the support it means a lot to feel understood.. there’s so many things that could cause this to happen to anyone, while most are jumping half pipes, there’s no telling who did what to cause damages., the hard part is getting ppl to believe you. Now I need to go through all this again with castle🤯… if I had hit a wall instead, then I wouldn’t even be making this post. After this comes to past, I’m going to 3D print a frame/sleeve that holds the wires to the esc.. infact bcs the fan and it’s frame comes off, Castle can design a new frame/casing that will also secure the wires coming from the terminals. Fingers crossed I get warranty 🤞🤞🤞

Thank you for the support it means a lot to feel understood.. there’s so many things that could cause this to happen to anyone, while most are jumping half pipes, there’s no telling who did what to cause damages., the hard part is getting ppl to believe you. Now I need to go through all this again with castle🤯… if I had hit a wall instead, then I wouldn’t even be making this post. After this comes to past, I’m going to 3D print a frame/sleeve that holds the wires to the esc.. infact bcs the fan and it’s frame comes off, Castle can design a new frame/casing that will also secure the wires coming from the terminals. Fingers crossed I get warranty 🤞🤞🤞
Best of luck to you!! I hope it works out. I'd recommend putting standard gearing in your warranty claim, to head off the possibility of claims of other forms of abuse such as over gearing, etc.. I'm not sure if that's really relevant in this case but...just a thought.

All other ESC’s have a case which also surrounds the main power wires tightly whether they go into a post or straight to the board. I didn’t crash it but the truck has taken some tumbles in the past but not even the worst of them wasn’t enough to cause any damage to the truck or any of its parts. Also any battery plug will unplug itself if it flies out before it pulls out of a solder joint, no battery plug is harder than a solder joint to pull apart, that plug would not sell and we’d all know about it. You can’t zip tie any of these wires or plugs down bcs if the esc flies out, then yes the esc will get damaged or youll rip it from the Lipo and that’s also very dangerous. Everything in the whole build is like 7 months old. $260 before taxes plus a $160 replacement. That’s a $430 esc before the first year. It’s not like there was a disclaimer between the xlx2 and 1/5 kraton.
i have seen the post pulled off by a bullet connector as it was still connected to the lipo. I run castle 8mm bullets. crashes into 150-160mph alot of things happen fast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back