Typhon Typhon 46t spur, what pinion for general dirt bashing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Currently running stock electronics, but have a 4082 Hobbystar 1600kv on hand and will install it this weekend or next week with a Max6. Mainly bashing on dirt or dirt/grass mix, not sending it big. Currently have 18/50 gearing set up, thinking of just leaving the pinion to run 18/46. Running 30/100/20 diff fluid, was planning to leave them as is to start with but wondering if going up in the center would help or not really any difference?

I'd like to run both 4s and 6s depending on the location/conditions so wanted a ratio that would not be to much on 6s.

Last edited:
You can raise the pinion gear to run 46/18-23 for bashing also
Currently running stock electronics, but have a 4082 Hobbystar 1600kv on hand and will install it this weekend or next week with a Max6. Mainly bashing on dirt or dirt/grass mix, not sending it big. Currently have 18/50 gearing set up, thinking of just leaving the pinion to run 18/46. Running 30/100/20 diff fluid, was planning to leave them as is to start with but wondering if going up in the center would help or not really any difference?

I'd like to run both 4s and 6s depending on the location/conditions so wanted a ratio that would not be to much on 6s.

I would leave it and just see what you think. 18/46 on 6s should be pretty damn fast. Might be able to go up a little but you might as well try what ya got first
Kind of what I was thinking. I ran the gear calculator and thats an 8% ratio change, hoping temps will stay down pretty good, cooler weather is coming here next week too so that should help a lot.

22 pinion gets my TLRT to 58 mph speeds. FWIW. On 6s I would def drop it down from 22 . Fan solutions are slim to none for the TLR/Typhon because of the low profile body. A fan mount is best. Having a lower fan profile. A heat sink will push the fans up higher at the motor. Body won't fit. Fan wont breathe with the body against them.
So watch your temps.
For the dirt, I feel the TLRT is best all around running 4s. Handling is much more precise, being lighter and nimble.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back