Typhon 6s: new mamba X 8s ESC mesh/cogging??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddywatson

T3ddy B4gW3LL
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hi guys I’ve installed a castle mamba X 8s into my Typhon 6s for speed runs

when I pull the throttle just a tiny bit this happens… is that right? There’s not enough power to make the car go forward… I need to apply a little more throttle before it starts to move. As you can see the pinion and spool shake but don’t actually rotate… I’ve not setup the ESC on castle links software yet I was just testing it turns on and works

Last edited:
Hi guys I’ve installed a castle mamba X 8s into my Typhon 6s for speed runs

when I pull the throttle just a tiny bit this happens… is that right? There’s not enough power to make the car go forward… I need to apply a little more throttle before it starts to move. As you can see the pinion and spool shake but don’t actually rotate… I’ve not setup the ESC on castle links software yet I was just testing it turns on and works

What motor are you running, sensored?
And make sure that you calibrate the ESC to your remote. I haven't seen this kind of behaviour from the newer Castle ESCs but it's hard to judge because I don't know how much throttle you're applying.

What motor are you running, sensored?
And make sure that you calibrate the ESC to your remote. I haven't seen this kind of behaviour from the newer Castle ESCs but it's hard to judge because I don't know how much throttle you're applying.
I’m running the stock typhon 6s motor: Spektrum Firma 4074 2050Kv Brushless Motor

The ESC is binded to the remote.
Green = throttle
Red = reverse
Yellow = neutral

I’m running the stock typhon 6s motor: Spektrum Firma 4074 2050Kv Brushless Motor

The ESC is binded to the remote.
Green = throttle
Red = reverse
Yellow = neutral
If it drives without issues I wouldn't really worry about it. Just make sure that all the connections are tight and you can also decrease the throttle dead-band on the Castle Link but not sure if this will improve anything. As long as you have a smooth start up (no cogging), you should be fine :)

stock typhon 6s motor with castle mamba x 8s. 27T pinion and 34T spool (limitless spool) amd only getting 63mph… that’s 20mph slower than stock typhon ESC with 25T pinion and 46T spool

something isn’t adding up

804D35B5-D8DB-491E-8B6D-CD79969D8469.png

stock typhon 6s motor with castle mamba x 8s. 27T pinion and 34T spool (limitless spool) amd only getting 63mph… that’s 20mph slower than stock typhon ESC with 25T pinion and 46T spool

View attachment 163612
That's indeed really slow but the gearing is quite high and you need some great batteries in order to make use of it. Try it with the same gearing as the stock ESC and see if you can reach the same top speed. If not, something is clearly wrong. Have you checked that everything spins freely? And also make sure that the connection between the motor and ESC has no issues.

That's indeed really slow but the gearing is quite high and you need some great batteries in order to make use of it. Try it with the same gearing as the stock ESC and see if you can reach the same top speed. If not, something is clearly wrong. Have you checked that everything spins freely? And also make sure that the connection between the motor and ESC has no issues.
Stock ESC and stock motor with 25T pinion and 34T spool went at 83mph…. Everything spins freely and all motor wires to ESC are fully connected. I thought I would be able to go faster than 83mph but going at 63mph is very disappointing 😞

View attachment 163612
Is the spur gear on the spool loose? Make sure everything’s tight. ( drive cups and spur gear )

Are you running sensored, if so you shouldn’t experience cogging

is the throttle channel on the radio set to reverse? castle needs this done otherwise the esc is running in reverse at 50% power.

Is the spur gear on the spool loose? Make sure everything’s tight. ( drive cups and spur gear )

Are you running sensored, if so you shouldn’t experience cogging
Spool is all tight
Is there anything on castle link I can do? The program. I’ve swapped to a 29T pinion and it’s doing the same thing with a touch of throttle
is the throttle channel on the radio set to reverse? castle needs this done otherwise the esc is running in reverse at 50% power.
I throttle/reverse set to reverse on the TX. Other wise if I pull throttle it will go backwards and if I pull backwards it will go forwards lol

I know there’s a reverse option within castle link. But I’m not sure how to set the reverse up. Set TX to normal and then in castle link set throttle to reverse?

Spool is all tight
Is there anything on castle link I can do? The program. I’ve swapped to a 29T pinion and it’s doing the same thing with a touch of throttle

I throttle/reverse set to reverse on the TX. Other wise if I pull throttle it will go backwards and if I pull backwards it will go forwards lol

I know there’s a reverse option within castle link. But I’m not sure how to set the reverse up. Set TX to normal and then in castle link set throttle to reverse?
no it needs to be reversed on radio. i was just making sure. have you calibrated the esc to the radio?

could be a bad solder joint, shouldn't be cogging if all is right. make sure motor bullets to esc solder joints are good.

Thanks for all the info guys I’m still looking at things! 😞

however I’ve just thought… the stock motor I’m using uses safeD5 shaft… but I’m using 27T and 29T pinions that are 5mm but not safeD5 will that be causing the problem? I’m going to put my old spool 46T and 25T safeD5 pinion back in and see how that mesh works.
If I’m using O pinion instead of D (which is what’s on the motor shaft) could that be the problem?
I’m going to resort back to safeD5 pinions and try.

Thanks for all the info guys I’m still looking at things! 😞

however I’ve just thought… the stock motor I’m using uses safeD5 shaft… but I’m using 27T and 29T pinions that are 5mm but not safeD5 will that be causing the problem? I’m going to put my old spool 46T and 25T safeD5 pinion back in and see how that mesh works.
If I’m using O pinion instead of D (which is what’s on the motor shaft) could that be the problem?
I’m going to resort back to safeD5 pinions and try.
As long as you’re matching the pinion and motor shaft size you should be good, d safe or not.

It’s the new ESC - castle mamba X 8s that’s the problem

using safeD5 or O pinions on a d5 motor has no effect.

using 46T spur and 25T it still coggs
If I revert back to stock ESC it works fine, so I’ve worked it down to the new castle mamba X 8s ESC

so what can I do? Is there anything on castle link I can do? This is driving me mad 😠
Thanks

I had issues with forward being reverse and reverse being forwards a couple times and had to recalibrate with everything set to normal. Cause it would go forward with forward tx pull but was only getting the reverse power amount lol, I’m sure I screwed something up, but I somehow got it fixed. Lol 😂

It’s the new ESC - castle mamba X 8s that’s the problem

using safeD5 or O pinions on a d5 motor has no effect.

using 46T spur and 25T it still coggs
If I revert back to stock ESC it works fine, so I’ve worked it down to the new castle mamba X 8s ESC

so what can I do? Is there anything on castle link I can do? This is driving me mad 😠
Thanks
Did you fix it?

You should upgrade the motor for the is power if you're still using the same stock motor. Try that and it might solve this.

Back