Typhon Typhon 6S - Shopping list suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky1981

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
After about a 15 year gap, I'm diving back into RCs, I decided on the Typhon 6S (running 4S to get my skills up first) and have ordered the following extras, is there anything else I should add or anything to be aware of?

Power:

Two 4S 5000mah Gens-Ace batteries
GT Power X2 Pro Duo charger (I think this is branded as Venom in the US)
LiPo Safe bag

Upgrades:

FlySky FS-GT5
Fast Eddy sealed bearings
JX Servo PDI-6113MG 13KG
Racers Edge Glitch Buster
TBR Bastion Front Bumper
RPM Rear Skid Plate
Hot Racing Alu Rear Chassis Brace
Hot Racing Alu Front Chassis Brace
Hot Racing Alu Servo mount

Tires:

GRP Belted S4 Revo x4
DuraTrax Lock-up x4

Spares:

Arrma Shock Rod End Set
Arrma Rear/Front Upper/Front Lower suspension arms

Tools:

1-5-5mm Balldriver set
5 piece metric nut set
Blue threadlock
Lithium grease
Drywall tape and shoe goo

I haven't ordered any diff oil, should I do that straight away or is this largely personal preference? I'm envisaging a 50/50 mix of asphalt and dirt/grass bashing since asphalt is all I have nearby but I'll be heading out on the fun stuff regularly.

I know I will need to recalibrate the ESC and should probably vent the off-road tires?

Any advice on other immediate/early upgrades would be great as well as anything I should be checking out of the box. I'll run it stock for a run or two before doing the upgrades just to make sure it's running sweet before I mess around with it :)

only thing that stands out to me is I would probably want a bit stronger servo, in the 25-30kg range.
Im not a pro like the other guys here, they will chime in soon.
welcome back to the hobby!

Ahh, I'd read that the one I'd picked was strong enough for the Typhon and was quite fast so pretty well suited, worst case I'll keep it for another build :)

I'll give it a try and post some feedback either way :)

Ordered a bat-box as well, seems the lipo bags aren't actually that good so wasted a bit of money there.

Hi @ricky1981. That's a pretty good list, but i'd like to make a few suggestions. Those ball driver hexes are not your friend on the 6s line. You need to get quality straight tip drivers, 1.5mm, 2mm and 2.5mm. You can decent ones on Amazon like Dynamite, or go big with MIP. Get yourself a soldering iron or mini torch. When you need to break the metal to metal screws, especially the grub screws in the wheel hubs and the ones that attach the drive cups, you need to apply lots of heat to break the existing thread lock. You "will" strip screws if you don't use heat first and turn with quality drivers. Last, as I consider this a quality upgrade, you might want to source out new hinge pin/suspension mounts. There are five in total. Two on the bottom of each dif case and one at the top rear in the front. These snap pretty easy stock, and it takes a lot of time to replace them. The new mounts will also help save your hinge pins from being bent to easily. I know this seems like a lot of money to invest, but if you're going to do any serious bashing, you'll probably end up replacing those mounts anyways.

That's great feedback @Notorious J , I'll hop on Amazon and get some better drivers.

Any recommendations for the mount upgrades?
The list is long and availability is sometimes an issue. GKA Custom, Custom Rc Upgrades in the UK (purchased through Just Bash It Rc in North America), Voltage Hobbies and Hot Racing off the top of my head. Stay away from GPM when shopping Amazon. I recently got a Typhon 6s as well, so you can see how I went about what I chose https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/notorious-j-typhon-6s-build.16069/

The HR steering bellcranks removed loads of slop from my steering. It was mostly due to replacing the bronze bushes in the bellcranks to the ballraced bearings that come with it though. So... I'd recommend replacing these bronze bearings with proper ballraced bearings.
Very simple cheap upgrade which make a big difference in removing steering slop to improve tracking but also by reducing friction/binding it improves your servos performance.

13kg servo is a bit low for my liking also thats more a 1/10 scale servo. I'd be aiming for something in the region of 20-25kg and a speed around 1.0 - 1.2 ms/60deg.

only thing that stands out to me is I would probably want a bit stronger servo, in the 25-30kg range.
Im not a pro like the other guys here, they will chime in soon.
welcome back to the hobby!
Tell me more about this stronger servo. Do you have a particular brand in mind? If yes, do you have a link? Easy to install?

If you can order from amazon, look for the DS3225 and get the red one.
Just to confirm! The red one in the middle here? For Typhon 6S? If yes, it’s ordered.

12081E04-4A12-4B75-A004-6F6B6D96D54E.jpeg

Yeah, I just noticed. A little worried I might purchase a fake or knock off. 270° Or 180°???

I wonder if this will work on the new rig I have coming? Hmm. Curious.
180 is the one you need. It works well in any truck compared to stock, and is dirt cheap as far as servos go.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back