Typhon Typhon Speed Runner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
  2. Typhon TLR
My Typhon 6s has been upgraded with TLR Typhon parts including chassis, shocks, shock towers, control arm mounts, servo saver, wing and mount. It also has Hot Racing differential cases and housing front and rear and amazon aluminum chassis brace and center differential support. Finally I had a VW bug body on it. That was a blast and I loved the way it handled but when I put the 20 tooth gear in I discovered that the front end would lift at about 55-60mph.

I then changed back to the stock body and got some new gears. I also eliminated 56grams from the rotating assembly by swapping to a center spool. That and the new ring and pinions (From I think the infraction) upped my top speed and I found that I still had problems with the front end lifting at 84mph. That wouldn't do so I ordered some carbon fiber limitless shock towers and limitless shocks. I also got the front bumper from the Infraction and the waterfall tower and splitter from the limitless and build a front bumper for the car. Finally I mounted a Corvette body on it. I took it out this afternoon and hit 94MPH but had to lift when the body started dragging the road. I need to do some work finding or building better side supports that reach out to the edge of the body. Something like a belly-pan and rear diffuser that I can Velcro the sides of the body to.

See 94MPH run here
20230114_194047.jpg

I use the stock typhon sidguards screwed to carbon fiber side skirts
My Typhon 6s has been upgraded with TLR Typhon parts including chassis, shocks, shock towers, control arm mounts, servo saver, wing and mount. It also has Hot Racing differential cases and housing front and rear and amazon aluminum chassis brace and center differential support. Finally I had a VW bug body on it. That was a blast and I loved the way it handled but when I put the 20 tooth gear in I discovered that the front end would lift at about 55-60mph.

I then changed back to the stock body and got some new gears. I also eliminated 56grams from the rotating assembly by swapping to a center spool. That and the new ring and pinions (From I think the infraction) upped my top speed and I found that I still had problems with the front end lifting at 84mph. That wouldn't do so I ordered some carbon fiber limitless shock towers and limitless shocks. I also got the front bumper from the Infraction and the waterfall tower and splitter from the limitless and build a front bumper for the car. Finally I mounted a Corvette body on it. I took it out this afternoon and hit 94MPH but had to lift when the body started dragging the road. I need to do some work finding or building better side supports that reach out to the edge of the body. Something like a belly-pan and rear diffuser that I can Velcro the sides of the body to.

See 94MPH run hereView attachment 270747
Can I see a pic of bottom???I got a good link on 1 30$ peice of carbon fiber that'll do a typhon chassis.did bothe my typhon gt like this.

16739333759994666844772314552593.jpg

Last edited:
Are your extensions flat? if so how did you get them that way? have thought about making some myself but am worried they wont be flat.
View attachment 270777
Not sure how a tlr chassis is,mine are both reg typhon chassis....they do kinda go upwards..this 30$ peice will do 1 swb car

Screenshot_20230117-102246_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20220915_183455.jpg

Better pic

Screenshot_20230117-102724_Photos.jpg

See 94MPH run hereView attachment 270747

Great progress so far.
The factory ESC isnt going to support much beyond where you are already. I have run a few cars in the 94-96 range with the possibility of 98mph.

In the end we all find our way to the XLX2 esc.

For the suspension travel I highly recommend using Tygon fuel line sold on Amazon. It is by far the best quality for durability using in this application.
All you do is remove the shock end cut to length the travel limiter (expecting a little squish) and then re-install the rod end.

Works like magic.

Beyond that always make sure the rear sits higher than the front to avoid blow overs. That rear wing may be a bit more than needed with the multiple elements, but great work so far.

TLR and the standard 6s chassis are the same other than material I believe. I didn't notice any difference other than that when I changed them. How hard was the carbon fiber to cut? What did you use?

Mix of dreamily with a disk wheel an a reciprocator...yes its hard to cut an the dust isn't good for ya.im sure there's a better way..I like to build instead of buy...I keep it cheap an simple.cause crashing a bunch of cf that cost 100$ wouldn't be fun,an I crash alot

TLR and the standard 6s chassis are the same other than material I believe. I didn't notice any difference other than that when I changed them. How hard was the carbon fiber to cut? What did you use?

You can use a cutting wheel on a dremmel. I prefer using a jig saw with carbide blade. Cuts very easy!

Just make sure you use a shop vac with HEPA filter. The dust production is crazy and said to be as bad for you as asbestos (requires gloves, glasses, as respirator). Best to do it outdoors so you don't have lingering particles floating around in the garage.

BladeCapture.JPG

Cutting on top of sacrificial foam is best.

cutting cf Capture.JPG

Cool. Definately something I want to be able to do.

For now I think I am going to take advantage of that new front bumper and hope it will give me the downforce I need with it having a splitter on it and go back to the stock body. I think between that and going back to the original shorter wing mount and wing i can make it work. I plan to do a little trimming to the rear wing as well. I think the front bumper I was using before was allowing too much air to get under the car and the TLR wing and mount were giving too much rear downforce causing it to take off.

Goodluck @Ckrobin what liberty said above about the xlx2 esc is so true. I tried mmx8s since it was cheaper and I thought I'd just break 100 and be OK with that. Well, that ain't how it works 🤣🤣🤣 not for me. I just want to keep going faster but I'm very much enjoying running 3 and 4s. Right setup and 3s can take you to 120s and 4s 140s are possible. Gonna follow your build brother.

I hit 102. But it was like skating on ice. had to set the exponentials way up to be able to give it any steering input at speed without it spinning out. I brought it back home for a little more tuning and I swapped the 40T spur gear with a 34T. The math said I should be able to hit 125 with the new gears but I am apparently at the aero limit of the car as the new gear only yielded 103. The newb in me didnt think of playing with the timing to see if I could find more till I sat down to write this. I might try that when the weather clears. It did feel more stable at speed this time as I moved the wing back one notch and changed the rear tow from 3* to 1*. Of coarse the expenentials were already set this time so that may have been why it felt more stable. Other than that I think I am done with the speed runs for now.

In a few months I will most likely get the Scroched RC SWB Typhon GT chassis and their trident axles. At this point I almost have 2 complete cars so If I do that I can build one back to TLR specs with just a few offroad upgrades and have a pretty fast GT car. Ill put the new electronics in the GT car when I do that, and then I want to start working towards 200mph. But for now just going to slow it down so I can enjoy it in more locations. The problem with a fast car is its hard to find a long flat road to run it on when you live in the hills.
Here is a pic in its 102MPH form.

Attachments

• 20230128_124819.jpg
    20230128_124819.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I hit 102. But it was like skating on ice. had to set the exponentials way up to be able to give it any steering input at speed without it spinning out. I brought it back home for a little more tuning and I swapped the 40T spur gear with a 34T. The math said I should be able to hit 125 with the new gears but I am apparently at the aero limit of the car as the new gear only yielded 103. The newb in me didnt think of playing with the timing to see if I could find more till I sat down to write this. I might try that when the weather clears. It did feel more stable at speed this time as I moved the wing back one notch and changed the rear tow from 3* to 1*. Of coarse the expenentials were already set this time so that may have been why it felt more stable. Other than that I think I am done with the speed runs for now.

In a few months I will most likely get the Scroched RC SWB Typhon GT chassis and their trident axles. At this point I almost have 2 complete cars so If I do that I can build one back to TLR specs with just a few offroad upgrades and have a pretty fast GT car. Ill put the new electronics in the GT car when I do that, and then I want to start working towards 200mph. But for now just going to slow it down so I can enjoy it in more locations. The problem with a fast car is its hard to find a long flat road to run it on when you live in the hills.
Nice builds man. A word of advice, its the raking of the car that prevents blow overs. If you have a wing in the front and your car is not raked its still gonna blow over. I've run a stretched typhon with Talion arms no bumper at 118mph never lifted, I had a pinky in the front and to my knuckles in the rear, how I measure my rake lol. I'm sure you'll get fast fast also most important is making your steering stiff, meaning no play. Very important. Good luck.

Is this with the stock ESC?
IF so that may be a world record for the BLX 6s ESC.

Either way glad you are enjoying the process and learning. Roads are the #1 obstacle for most of us.

The only electronics I have changed is I am using a DX5 Pro. The 102 was even done with a Spektrum battery. Also I cut one of the plugs off of the esc so it can only run on one battery. I really did that for more room under the body but in theory it is less resistance. It would be fun to think I set a record but I highly doubt it. Maybe when I build the carbon chassis ill use ceramic bearings and throw the old electronics in for one last record run.

And it doesn't matter how much rake you have if you hit a bump and the front end comes up enough your going for a ride. You are definitely right about the road being more or at least as important than the car.

The only electronics I have changed is I am using a DX5 Pro. The 102 was even done with a Spektrum battery. Also I cut one of the plugs off of the esc so it can only run on one battery. I really did that for more room under the body but in theory it is less resistance. It would be fun to think I set a record but I highly doubt it. Maybe when I build the carbon chassis ill use ceramic bearings and throw the old electronics in for one last record run.

And it doesn't matter how much rake you have if you hit a bump and the front end comes up enough your going for a ride. You are definitely right about the road being more or at least as important than the car.
That is an impressive speed for that ESC.

Mike Stalone did 103 with the factory ESC so that is near record territory for the factory ESC in an Arrma Chassis.
I had seen a guy did 119 in a Traxxas slash 4x4

wow I haven't put bearings in this or polished the rear axles. or greased anything in a while... hmm. I bet I could get 105 out of it. Maybe more if I turn the timing up... So how do we find out just what the record is?
anyone find one faster than 116?

Last edited:
wow I haven't put bearings in this or polished the rear axles. or greased anything in a while... hmm. I bet I could get 105 out of it. Maybe more if I turn the timing up... So how do we find out just what the record is?
anyone find one faster than 116?

The interesting thing about this is if you watch his progress he was stuck in the 90's for a long time and the only time he did this was at night when you cant see things well.
Not saying its fraud/lies, but seems fishy to me. He could have taken a MM2 retro and put the blx185 heatsink and fan on top or something like that.

A little update on what I have done. I noticed I had almost accumulated enough parts to build a second Typhon. I got on Jennys and ordered up a new stock chassis not TLR. I think the TLR is actually lighter but either way I will use the lighter option. I also go new differential housings since the stock plastic ones are lighter than the Hot Racing aluminum units I was using. I am basically going to go through the whole thing and pick the lighter parts. I also plan to swap to ceramic bearings and foam tires. And next I am just using a battery I picked when I really didn't know what I was looking for. I ended up with the Sypon 6s 6000mAh 120C Amazon battery. They are definitely better than the 5000mAh Spektrum 6s batteries but I am hoping to get a little more from another battery. I am thinking of trying the CNHL G+Plus 6000mAh 70c as it came recommended but I am also looking for other recommendations.

Finally can I still call it stock electronics if I replace the plug between the motor and esc with 6.5mm esc/motor plugs and QS8 battery plugs?

I think with those changes I can beat 116.

Finally can I still call it stock electronics if I replace the plug between the motor and esc with 6.5mm esc/motor plugs and QS8 battery plugs?
I don't see that as disqualifying it from stock electronics. People use all kinds of different connectors for lipos, shouldn't matter about motor either in my eyes. I really like what your doing man. I respect you pushing it like you are. Goodluck and I think you are on track to make a serious run at the record.
Cnhl g+ are great lipos for the money. Have you been heating up the lipos you are using now?

Back