Typhon Typhon TLR tuned and mamba monster x 2200kv combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abraksan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon TLR
Is anyone running this combo? Atm looking at the sensored option.

Im looking to run 4s. Track and offroad. No extreme bashing.

I don't run this combo, but I have two Castle sensored systems in two RC vehicles. I'm running the Castle Mamba Monster X 8s ESC with Castle 1717 1650 motor in my Kraton 6s, which I run mostly on 4s. The sensored systems are so much smoother at the lower end, while sensorless systems perform better at the top end. Castle has the best of both worlds, and they call it Smart Sense. It uses sensored mode at slower speed then changes automatically to sensorless when it is best to do so. It's a great system.

I do have this setup in my Kyosho MP9. It’s a great esc and motor combo. And this is a sensored setup so as morrjr71 said above it’s very smooth on the low end. I love sensored setups in a buggy they drive so well. It’s a powerfull setup on 4S also. I have the TLR Typhon as well and I’m thinking of trying it in that buggy If you want it, I’d go for it. I’d imagine it performs well in any 1/8 buggy platform.
52EF9C78-8499-47AE-89A4-927AFFDED294.png

Is anyone running this combo? Atm looking at the sensored option.

Im looking to run 4s. Track and offroad. No extreme bashing.
I’ve got that same combo new in the box if you decide to go that route
I don't run this combo, but I have two Castle sensored systems in two RC vehicles. I'm running the Castle Mamba Monster X 8s ESC with Castle 1717 1650 motor in my Kraton 6s, which I run mostly on 4s. The sensored systems are so much smoother at the lower end, while sensorless systems perform better at the top end. Castle has the best of both worlds, and they call it Smart Sense. It uses sensored mode at slower speed then changes automatically to sensorless when it is best to do so. It's a great system.
Same combo in my TLR 👍🏼

Most racing buggies will run 4068 size motors around 1900kv, so the 1515 2200kv will be much more motor than you need on the track.

For track running, the 1512 1800kv motor may be a better match. Castle combo's it with the much smaller Mamba X, so between the motor and ESC, you will save a decent amount of weight vs the MMX+1515.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...-w-1512-sensored-motor-cse010-0155-06/p695669

Its gonna be more casual the real racing. But also offroad and some street running.

So a versatile motor is nice.

So the 1800kv would be a better option maybe?

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a TLR Typhon is heavier than your typical racing eBuggy. My TLRT comes out about a pound heavier than my EB48 2.0 so having a little more motor might not be so bad.
Are you running a 2200kv motor on the TLR? If so what is the difference in performance compared to Spektrum 2050kv motor.....4S is the range I have in mind.

Anyone a tip how to fix the on/off switch from the esc?

@Engineer do u have the part number of the esc cage? My lhs gave me a one that was to tiny. On the photo i see u upgraded the servo arms. Is that a set?

What are your thoughts on the Rpm esc cage? I don't really like it as it is way to soft and flexible and only uses 2 screws to secure the esc, my esc never stayed in place with it. As soft and flexy as that thing is it really needs 4 screws.

What are your thoughts on the Rpm esc cage? I don't really like it as it is way to soft and flexible and only uses 2 screws to secure the esc, my esc never stayed in place with it. As soft and flexy as that thing is it really needs 4 screws.
i Thought it was a nice option :) thus i figured it was a good option to have :) Now not so much :) Then i might aswell tape it down as was the plan.

Wanted to connect the sensored wire and learned i need an extra adapter wire or a new wire. Which is not realy sould in the Netherlands. don't see why to sell a sensored combo without all the wires u need. :(

So far it seems to be holding - but worse comes to worse, I'll throw a ziptie around. I'm also counting on the fact that I'll be treating it more like an e-buggy than a basher won't beat the mount up as much.
i Thought it was a nice option :) thus i figured it was a good option to have :) Now not so much :) Then i might aswell tape it down as was the plan.

Wanted to connect the sensored wire and learned i need an extra adapter wire or a new wire. Which is not realy sould in the Netherlands. don't see why to sell a sensored combo without all the wires u need. :(

The Mamba Monster X comes with a little connector that goes between the ESC and the sensor wire. It's not attached from the factory because it was set up for sensorless operation. Make sure you didn't drop it/lose it when you opened things up.

HW does the exact same with their Sensored ESC's.( best of both worlds) HW was the first to have this.
HW has both Full Sensored and Hybrid Sensored modes available. HW's Hybrid Sensored mode is equivalent to CC's Smart Sense.
How these 2 brands compare in regards to Sensored performance is probably personal preference.
I run HW sensored gear.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back