Ultimate Soldering Guide - Milspec

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super interesting! I suck at soldering tho. Smaller jobs are easier. However, the more I do it, the better I get!
Hysterically large soldering iron and components aside the same principles still hold true. You didn't go to the gym in those days, just pick up the soldering iron.

Keep practicing it will get easier.

BTW I'm assuming that East Bay is Oakland<->Fremont. I'm a bit south of you.

Holding heat to long is something I do to often.

Hysterically large soldering iron and components aside the same principles still hold true. You didn't go to the gym in those days, just pick up the soldering iron.

Keep practicing it will get easier.

BTW I'm assuming that East Bay is Oakland<->Fremont. I'm a bit south of you.
Yep. I'm actually closer to Richmond tho. Which has an awesome dirtpark if you've never been. Kinda ghetto tho. Lol

Yep. I'm actually closer to Richmond tho. Which has an awesome dirtpark if you've never been. Kinda ghetto tho. Lol
I've heard of the dirt lot in Richmond but never been.

LOL I used to live in Richmond and it was only sort of ghetto back then. But you mind your business and no one bothered you... I don't know about now? I lived at 29th and Andrade, the heart of the Iron Triangle. The DEA raided the house down the street. That guy, really? His house was always kept clean and quiet, no traffic, no parties. Apparently he was a good dealer and learned to keep a low profile, I was sorry to see him go.

I don't have any pictures but I use irons that size at work. They aren't electric though. We heat them with propane. We solder flatlock copper roofs as well as the occasional copper gutter and downspout. I've soldered probably more than a mile of joints so far. That's an honest estimate too.
Here's only puc I got that shows solder very well.

Attachments

• 0521181037.jpg
    0521181037.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 37
Which is a better mix for RC connectors? I have 2 rolls of 1.6mm diam resin cored solder. Thought they were the same untill I realised one is 40% tin/60% lead and the other is the opposite at 60% tin/40% lead. Does more lead reduce the melting point? I've only used the Sn40/Pb60 and had no issues so far.

Which is a better mix for RC connectors? I have 2 rolls of 1.6mm diam resin cored solder. Thought they were the same untill I realised one is 40% tin/60% lead and the other is the opposite at 60% tin/40% lead. Does more lead reduce the melting point? I've only used the Sn40/Pb60 and had no issues so far.
Tin is twice as conductive as lead and has a higher melting point. Both of those mixes are easy to work with. I'd use 60/40 tin\lead

Tin is twice as conductive as lead and has a higher melting point. Both of those mixes are easy to work with. I'd use 60/40 tin\lead
So more tin, less lead = higher melting point. That's what I thought. Ok thanks.

I suck at soldering, I’ve tried and tried…..now I pay the hobby shop to do it.🤓

its amazing how the tone of the English language has changed since the mid 20th century.

3 biggest issues I see people have:

-Soldering irons without enough wattage for the situation.
-Holding the heat too long
-Not pre-tinning / not using flux

Good call. I am new and not doing a good job or pre-tinning and flux. I need to get better overall

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back