Ungluing Tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dakratfink

Active Military
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Others have asked or mentioned in other threads about not knowing how to influence tires with acetone.
it’s super easy and the most effective way. Simply put your tires in a sealed container big enough to hold the wheels and something that can keep them off the bottom of the container.
Fill to just below the level where the acetone touches the wheel. The fumes let it sit overnight and the fumes will break down the glue. You can pull them right off without a heat gun or anything.
( I can post pictures later of what I’ve used In the past if anyone would like a visual reference . )

Others have asked or mentioned in other threads about not knowing how to influence tires with acetone.
it’s super easy and the most effective way. Simply put your tires in a sealed container big enough to hold the wheels and something that can keep them off the bottom of the container.
Fill to just below the level where the acetone touches the wheel. The fumes let it sit overnight and the fumes will break down the glue. You can pull them right off without a heat gun or anything.
( I can post pictures later of what I’ve used In the past if anyone would like a visual reference . )
I think I'm gonna give this way a shot. I have about six tires I need to get off rims, and kind find a good time to bake them because of the stink it leaves in the house. So you don't need a lot of acetone if I'm understanding correctly, just enough to cover the bottom of a container and something to keep the wheels up just above it. Correct?

I think I'm gonna give this way a shot. I have about six tires I need to get off rims, and kind find a good time to bake them because of the stink it leaves in the house. So you don't need a lot of acetone if I'm understanding correctly, just enough to cover the bottom of a container and something to keep the wheels up just above it. Correct?
Correct
And a good seal on the container
Those reusable but still disposable Glad Ware type containers are perfect

Correct
And a good seal on the container
Those reusable but still disposable Glad Ware type containers are perfect
Thank you sir. Will definitely give it a go this weekend. ???

I tried this on some PL 3.8" badlands. It took over a week or soaking and prying to try and remove 4 tyres. A very frustrating excercise which even after succesfully removing the tyres I had to spend several hours scraping the remnants of the glue off the tyres in order to glue them to new wheels.

I tried this on some PL 3.8" badlands. It took over a week or soaking and prying to try and remove 4 tyres. A very frustrating excercise which even after succesfully removing the tyres I had to spend several hours scraping the remnants of the glue off the tyres in order to glue them to new wheels.
The only time i tried this was on some associated pins on short course wheels. They came off like a dream and I re glued the same tires to the same wheels with new foams . Sounds like your experience was ya as good with the technique.
I just know it worked for me.

The only time i tried this was on some associated pins on short course wheels. They came off like a dream and I re glued the same tires to the same wheels with new foams . Sounds like your experience was ya as good with the technique.
I just know it worked for me.

Perhaps it works better with smaller tyres which have less glue applied?

The trick with 3.8s is do them 1 at a time, or 1 per container. Don't try to do them all at once. Let them sit for about 2 days instead of 1.

2.8s I wouldn't do more than 2 at a time and they still will take about 2 days.

Smaller tires this trick works wonders.

This is another trick I want to try.

Well, I guess I'm going to find out if it works or not. Didn't see the new info until now about not doing multiple tires, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'll give them a few days before I try to remove the tires. The wheels are sitting on a baking rack about 1/2 an inch above the acetone. $20 trial, so worth it to find out if it works.
20200111_182130.jpg

Well, I guess I'm going to find out if it works or not. Didn't see the new info until now about not doing multiple tires, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'll give them a few days before I try to remove the tires. The wheels are sitting on a baking rack about 1/2 an inch above the acetone. $20 trial, so worth it to find out if it works.View attachment 60539
I know this is going to sound like a dumb question but what is the point of the tape? The acetone fumes will debond it if you were trying to use it to seal the container.

put them in the oven they come off just be carefull not to rip the tire

this might be a stupid question as well, but doesn't Acetone eat through plastic? like the plastic containers?
ive had it eat through a cup i had that was the same material as a glad container.

this might be a stupid question as well, but doesn't Acetone eat through plastic? like the plastic containers?
ive had it eat through a cup i had that was the same material as a glad container.
It can eat some plastics yes. I've had some sitting in a 5 gallon bucket for a couple of months now and its still good.

I have used the acetone method and it works a treat, I found it a bit slow but it removed 4 tyres from my 3.8 Badlands absolutely perfectly..

The way I did it was, I used a big old plastic paint tub 10L placed a plastic bottle cut in half then filled that with the acetone added the tyres and left it for about 5 days and when I came back the tyres practically fell off the rims..??
As I said it was slow, I wasn't in a rush so no big deal..

Here's the type of tub I used it has an air tight sealed lid..

94243.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back