Upgrade to Spektrum 2100 from 1100?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrLimey

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading from the Spektrum S1100 to the S2100 whilst the Spektrum 15% rebate is going on, because one charging channel just isn’t cutting it anymore. I have enough G2 batteries I am unfortunately locked into a Spektrum charging solution for now.

Does anyone have any experience with both chargers that knows whether the s2100 is as reliable as the s1100? I know the s1100 is almost a couple years newer, includes the ec5 adapter and a micro USB port vs the silly 3.5mm headphone jack update port. I also feel like I have seen lots of reports of the s2100 crapping out vs the s1100. I would buy another s1100 but they are OOS because I think an update is on its way.

Thanks for your thoughts!

The s2100 has been on my list for about a year now!! 🤣 I don't think I have ever seen a bad thread on it or any users complain about it, but I could be wrong, its a great charger I'm sure but I'm a fanboy so what do I know!! The only difference between the 2 is the s2100 is dual port and still 2x100w.. again may be wrong!!

I am considering upgrading from the Spektrum S1100 to the S2100 whilst the Spektrum 15% rebate is going on, because one charging channel just isn’t cutting it anymore. I have enough G2 batteries I am unfortunately locked into a Spektrum charging solution for now.

Does anyone have any experience with both chargers that knows whether the s2100 is as reliable as the s1100? I know the s1100 is almost a couple years newer, includes the ec5 adapter and a micro USB port vs the silly 3.5mm headphone jack update port. I also feel like I have seen lots of reports of the s2100 crapping out vs the s1100. I would buy another s1100 but they are OOS because I think an update is on its way.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I had or have both. I have 2x S2100 and gave my S1100 to my brother both are good. Yes they are older and solid. I got mine in 2020 but stopped using Spektrum batteries that same year. Ran out too fast and had issues with the smart batteries. I only have a few left that I do not use. My S2100 is 100% charging non-smart batteries for each bash. Like the speed, although I only charge at 4A, only really enjoy the menu display.

One issue I shared in were the fan's buzz on startup on some. One of mine did, and the other did not. Easy fix I just added a drop of oil on the fan bearings. They have 35 or 40mm fans so easy swap if you want to replace the entire fan...easy disconnects to do so.

Thanks I appreciate the insight. It’s 100 watts per channel correct? So no issues charging 2 3s 5000 mah packs at 1c/5amp at the same time?

I really like the way the first gen smart chargers look and function with the scroll wheel. I feel like the native second gen look clunky and cheap. I was sad they are updating the s1100 to the chunky native g2 design as originally I planned to just buy another of those. There’s no cost savings per change with the s2100 when you factor in they didn’t include adaptors like they did with the s1100.

Thanks I appreciate the insight. It’s 100 watts per channel correct? So no issues charging 2 3s 5000 mah packs at 1c/5amp at the same time?

I really like the way the first gen smart chargers look and function with the scroll wheel. I feel like the native second gen look clunky and cheap. I was sad they are updating the s1100 to the chunky native g2 design as originally I planned to just buy another of those. There’s no cost savings per change with the s2100 when you factor in they didn’t include adaptors like they did with the s1100.
Yes 100w per channel and can charge 2x 3S 5000mah at same time 1C not issues

I just received the S2100 and was able to do a side by side comparison. First impressions are disappointing:

- The S2100 display is about half as bright as the S1100
- The S2100 sounds are about half as loud, and weak and tinny vs the S1100
- The S2100 is SLOW compared to the S1100. It takes 10+ seconds to recognize when a smart battery is connected or disconnected vs instantaneous on the S1100.
- The S2100 scroll wheel is smaller than the S1100 and less responsive generally. Its no where near as easy to navigate the menus accurately.
- No biggie, but the S2100 has a 2 prong plug/ no ground vs the S1100. Weird.

All in all it feels old and outdated. Buyers remorse for sure, especially with the return shipping costs. I was really expecting the same great experience as the S1100, with the added convenience of an extra channel. But this isn't that.

I just received the S2100 and was able to do a side by side comparison. First impressions are disappointing:

- The S2100 display is about half as bright as the S1100
- The S2100 sounds are about half as loud, and weak and tinny vs the S1100
- The S2100 is SLOW compared to the S1100. It takes 10+ seconds to recognize when a smart battery is connected or disconnected vs instantaneous on the S1100.
- The S2100 scroll wheel is smaller than the S1100 and less responsive generally. Its no where near as easy to navigate the menus accurately.
- No biggie, but the S2100 has a 2 prong plug/ no ground vs the S1100. Weird.

All in all it feels old and outdated. Buyers remorse for sure, especially with the return shipping costs. I was really expecting the same great experience as the S1100, with the added convenience of an extra channel. But this isn't that.

Wow...

Interesting having owned both. Yes, the display can be a bit dim but it was an easy fix in the setting to brighten my other S2100. Fan bearings can be an issue, something I posted about but is easy to fix with oil or replace but not required. Yep, they cheaped out on the fans, I agree! I do not use smart batteries, so my response is the same for both. Yep, the touch rolling is touchy, so I changed the sensitivity in the settings.

Sorry the experience was poor. For me, they work like a champ when I run my Infraction, Kraton, Fireteam love to hear the hum of both chargers running. Return it if you do not like it much better than keeping it even at a return cost.

Best of luck!

Wow...

Interesting having owned both. Yes, the display can be a bit dim but it was an easy fix in the setting to brighten my other S2100. Fan bearings can be an issue, something I posted about but is easy to fix with oil or replace but not required. Yep, they cheaped out on the fans, I agree! I do not use smart batteries, so my response is the same for both. Yep, the touch rolling is touchy, so I changed the sensitivity in the settings.

Sorry the experience was poor. For me, they work like a champ when I run my Infraction, Kraton, Fireteam love to hear the hum of both chargers running. Return it if you do not like it much better than keeping it even at a return cost.

Best of luck!
I am maybe coming around to keeping it. There is not really another smart charging option with 2 channels in this price range. So maybe having 2 channels in a single charger outweighs the negatives. I think it being less snappy is down to it being an older design than the S1100; the processor is probably slower and the G2 update taxes it more.

Horizon's website touts the S1100 as having an 'upgraded display and user interface (scroll wheel)' and I just missed that when comparing them. This probably explains the brighter clearer display and more responsive larger touch wheel the S1100 had. The S2100 Display is on full brightness, and is about half the brightness of the S1100 which is also on full brightness. Similarly, volume is about half that of the S1100 with both on full. Live and learn and I will figure it out. Thanks for your help :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back