Talion Upgrading my Talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Talion! I'm in SE Wisconsin too. Supposed to be warm this weekend. Thinking about bringing my Arrmas out too.

OMG !1st break in run went good. Glad I didn't waste money on 4s . 6S an finger management is Sweet, we'll need to work on diff fluids,30k middle,10kfront,7k back.can still turn front wheels to pizza cutters. Well be trying SRC tires today yet also.

3rd run in,an bumped into building in tight ally way and soon after lost my 15 tooth pinion. Operator error! Pinons must be soft, have to look at a harder one. Or other brand. I have to be honest,iam having a hard time controlling my speed, something over comes me an suddenly is just driving mad. LOL! Pinions are hard to come by, mostly out .

After some detective work my local rc friends are saying the 1/2 square size limestone rock in found laying inside front corner of pan, probably chipped my tooth out and then I ground up the rest not thinking.
IMG_20170402_131856968.jpg

Although the local hobby shop may have said that, I bash mine on a pebble free location. The area only has dirt and some grass spots, but no rocks, pebbles, and the same thing happened. I think there is a bad line of motor pinions coming out of the RTRs as I called warranty and they honor the parts immediately.

Bought another one on the meantime and has hold on well so far, and it has two thread nuts instead of one to stay in the 5mm shaft. The problem I am having is every so often it slides out regardless if its all the way tight. Went ahead and made a small notch on the shaft exactly where the nut sits on when screwed all the way in. Applied some threadlocker, and so far it has not slide out anymore, which usually happens under breaking.

But the truck overall runs flawlessly, only maybe one time got quirky with radio signal, resetting the ESC made everything go back to normal.
IMG_20170401_121657.jpg

* The tires are ideal usually after it rains, the next day, and the surface gets hard packed with lots of grip. There is a section with lots of loose dirt, and its cool coming in at high speed and just let go off the throttle and let the Talion slide into the turn, slowly easy on the trigger, and out it goes working its 4WD as if its on rails.

Might as well just tie it to the hood of your car and hit the highway... jk

Good deal, Robinson Racing and staying away from small pebbles.

Getting a 17 tooth gear soon,going for the top of the speed chart. Standing on a hill top at the local high School I can run up to near a 1/8 mile distance with 1/2 mile available. (Yes I do off road an bash too,but the how far an fast thing is impressive too.)

Getting a 17 tooth gear soon,going for the top of the speed chart. Standing on a hill top at the local high School I can run up to near a 1/8 mile distance with 1/2 mile available. (Yes I do off road an bash too,but the how far an fast thing is impressive too.)
Broken spur this morning, uneven gear mesh, investigate. Hope I didn't bend motor shaft.

What?

That is so weird, I have seen broken pinion but spur just like that. Try to take pictures and upload.

Use macro settings when taking them and show the place you were driving. It will be a first to see a broken spur gear, not even on 5th scale, the clutch bell, bearings, pinion, everything goes south, but never seen such thing happen. And to be a 5mm shaft, if it did happen you must have been bashing it hard.

I have been having fun w my SC Blackout Pro truck, dialing the suspension running it on a upgraded Goolrc 3660kv. It is true, same specs as the Redcat motor, but the new one has 5mm shaft and much longer can. Has tons of torque, need to put a 17t or higher, still running 120F doing full speed passes in a small track near my house. On 3S is stupid fast and a 15t its just spinning all the way to half throttle.

What?

That is so weird, I have seen broken pinion but spur just like that. Try to take pictures and upload.

Use macro settings when taking them and show the place you were driving. It will be a first to see a broken spur gear, not even on 5th scale, the clutch bell, bearings, pinion, everything goes south, but never seen such thing happen. And to be a 5mm shaft, if it did happen you must have been bashing it hard.

I have been having fun w my SC Blackout Pro truck, dialing the suspension running it on a upgraded Goolrc 3660kv. It is true, same specs as the Redcat motor, but the new one has 5mm shaft and much longer can. Has tons of torque, need to put a 17t or higher, still running 120F doing full speed passes in a small track near my house. On 3S is stupid fast and a 15t its just spinning all the way to half throttle.
Soon as I get back home,I can take pic. Running errands. Hopefully didn't bend motor shaft,had uneven mesh last quick look.

What?

IMG_20170409_172132359.jpg
rebuilt diff just in case this time,gear mesh a hair tighter at one spot in rotation check.time well tell.Hope hot racing stand off isn't a problem with mesh or alignment.

Rebuilt an ran 15t ok untill it slid off motor.probably not going 17 t untill I can keep it going at 15tooth.

Soon as I get back home,I can take pic. Running errands. Hopefully didn't bend motor shaft,had uneven mesh last quick look.

View attachment 9312rebuilt diff just in case this time,gear mesh a hair tighter at one spot in rotation check.time well tell.Hope hot racing stand off isn't a problem with mesh or alignment.

Rebuilt an ran 15t ok untill it slid off motor.probably not going 17 t untill I can keep it going at 15tooth.
Went red locker,dryer couple days,we'll be giving her a go again,hope to come home in one piece.Update later.

*Make a small notch on the motor shaft for the pinion nut to pressed in, preventing it from sliding out.

On mine it did multiple times, and seems to be an issue with them as other have reported motor pinions sliding out as well regardless of how tight the nut is, locktite and everything.

Red locker held up 20 min,iam happy again,let ya all know how long. 15 tooth for while,see how long talion takes 6S. Using Teflon spray lube regularly at drive cups an pins.

You have had better luck than me.

On mine I used red threadlocker, $10.00 for a little bottle. It did not do a thing. At least for me, it is NOT that the nut gets loose, its that under heat and stress, metal expands and slides out. Thats on my rc, similar to when removing ball bearings from bottom ends nitro engines.

To me, the tolerances of the pinion gear ARRMA brand is too much gap, should be tighter so under heat they don't slide out. Its hit or miss, I got tired of the slide out deal and ended doing the notch.

Its good you were able to save the motor and no damage to the shaft.

You have had better luck than me.

On mine I used red threadlocker, $10.00 for a little bottle. It did not do a thing. At least for me, it is NOT that the nut gets loose, its that under heat and stress, metal expands and slides out. Thats on my rc, similar to when removing ball bearings from bottom ends nitro engines.

To me, the tolerances of the pinion gear ARRMA brand is too much gap, should be tighter so under heat they don't slide out. Its hit or miss, I got tired of the slide out deal and ended doing the notch.

Its good you were able to save the motor and no damage to the shaft.
Have also heard of trying to file or find yourself a way to make set screw flat on end before red loctited. I'll keep posted on how it goes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back