Typhon V2 limitless spool in v5 Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyanr1

Reaction score
Thinking about dropping this in my Typhon for speed running. What pinion do you guys recommend? Jenny’s didn’t have any listed for the limitless

Thanks

AE5643ED-055F-405B-BA52-7CFD27909DD9.png

Will the stock drive shafts work with a Pinocchio spool like that or do you already have some that will? As for what size pinion, that depends on a lot of factors. What motor, ESC, batteries, what speed you want it to go, size of the tires, your skill level and so forth. There's no simple answer to that question. Start slow and work your way up. Best thing to do is to get a collection of pinion gears if speed running is your goal. It's one of those hidden costs of speed running.

Will the stock drive shafts work with a Pinocchio spool like that or do you already have some that will? As for what size pinion, that depends on a lot of factors. What motor, ESC, batteries, what speed you want it to go, size of the tires, your skill level and so forth. There's no simple answer to that question. Start slow and work your way up. Best thing to do is to get a collection of pinion gears if speed running is your goal. It's one of those hidden costs of speed running.

Thanks for the replies. I’d like to stick with the stock esc and motor. I have an assortment of pinions on order ranging from 21-27 tooth, I believe. Also I’ll be running rpm soft version of their speed running selection.
The very same. They're outstanding.
What’s all needed to drop that setup in my Typhon.
Thanks for all the help, guys.

Thanks for the replies. I’d like to stick with the stock esc and motor. I have an assortment of pinions on order ranging from 21-27 tooth, I believe. Also I’ll be running rpm soft version of their speed running selection.

What’s all needed to drop that setup in my Typhon.
Thanks for all the help, guys.
You'd need a spool gear to complete the spool. Then it should be a drop in fit. Islandhobbynut has a great selection of 5mm & 8mm gears.
5mm: https://www.islandhobbynut.com/shop
8mm: https://www.islandhobbynut.com/shop-3

As for what size, somewhere in the 34-40T is probably a good place to start. Keep in mind that with a 34T spur, the minimum sized pinion that will reach is 27T with the stock motor mount. That means you have a minimum total tooth count (TTC) of 61. I don't know the max TTC off the top of my head. So there are some things to consider here.

I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing

Wondering if anyone knows if these are any good?

View attachment 257864
I'm sure it works fine, I just prefer spools that use regular 8mm pinion gears so I can share them between my spool and motor. This type of spool requires FOH style gears that are bolted in with three screws.
1669149460313.png

I understand
That looks good quality!
It looks good, but from an economic perspective it's not particularly appealing. At least not to me. If you're at all serious about speed running, you're going to spend a couple of hundred bucks just on gears. To have a set of gears you can only use on your spool don't make much financial sense to me as I just don't have that kind of money to burn. Moreover, proper 8mm gears have M5 grub screws that are really robust and I have yet to have a spool gear come loose on me.

Another thing I love about the Joe Diaz spool is that it doesn't require spacers like many other spools do since the bearings sit on shoulders machined onto the ends of the spool. So you can freely position the gear on the shaft wherever you like. Why is this important? Depending on the length of the shaft on your motor, you may find yourself putting pinion gears on either with the gear towards the motor or the shoulder. This changes where the teeth are spatially in relation to the spool. On the Diaz spool you just loosen the grub screw and move the gear so that it lines up with the pinion again.

These two factors alone are reason enough for me to use them. Yes, they cost a few bucks more, but they come with fantastic ceramic hybrid bearings which, by themselves, already explain the cost difference. As always, these are just my observations and opinions. YMMV :)

It looks good, but from an economic perspective it's not particularly appealing. At least not to me. If you're at all serious about speed running, you're going to spend a couple of hundred bucks just on gears. To have a set of gears you can only use on your spool don't make much financial sense to me as I just don't have that kind of money to burn. Moreover, proper 8mm gears have M5 grub screws that are really robust and I have yet to have a spool gear come loose on me.

Another thing I love about the Joe Diaz spool is that it doesn't require spacers like many other spools do since the bearings sit on shoulders machined onto the ends of the spool. So you can freely position the gear on the shaft wherever you like. Why is this important? Depending on the length of the shaft on your motor, you may find yourself putting pinion gears on either with the gear towards the motor or the shoulder. This changes where the teeth are spatially in relation to the spool. On the Diaz spool you just loosen the grub screw and move the gear so that it lines up with the pinion again.

These two factors alone are reason enough for me to use them. Yes, they cost a few bucks more, but they come with fantastic ceramic hybrid bearings which, by themselves, already explain the cost difference. As always, these are just my observations and opinions. YMMV :)
Man thanks so much for all this. So much to consider. I’m gonna take a look at the Diaz spool.

What do you mean by “Pinocchio spool”? Is there a difference between this one and the Diaz version? Just trying To learn

Pinocchio's nose grows, so has this spool, with its longer outdrive shaft. If you used this in the Typhon, you'd need to find the required shorter length rear center drive shaft.

1669153320680.png

What do you mean by “Pinocchio spool”? Is there a difference between this one and the Diaz version? Just trying To learn
The long bit on the right side...that's what classifies this as, what is called, a Pinocchio spool.
1669153240756.png

Compare that to a regular spool.
1669153294911.png

This is Scorched RC's Pinocchio spool for comparison.
1669153378482.png

Why are Pinocchio spools used you may ask. Normally, the rear drive shaft is quite a bit longer than the front shaft. This can lead to excessive oscillations at high speeds (particularly with stock drive shafts which are relatively thin and poorly balanced). To alleviate this, they made the spool end itself longer to make the rear drive shaft shorter and, in return, reduce center drive line vibrations. That's one way of addressing the issue. The other, is to use high quality center drive shafts (such as Perfect Pass carbon fiber or Scorched titanium shafts) and a normal spool. Both methods work well and I think it's a bit down to personal taste at this point.

Hope this helps :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back