Video camera options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Be Ready

Built, Broke, Rebuilt, Repeat...
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Mojave
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
Went looking at some old posts about the camera's you all use for video. All we're from 2017. Anything new these days in the other than "Go Pro" style cameras ? Looking for a cheapie but a goodie... What do you all recommend checking out? Thx!

Went looking at some old posts about the camera's you all use for video. All we're from 2017. Anything new these days in the other than "Go Pro" style cameras ? Looking for a cheapie but a goodie... What do you all recommend checking out? Thx!

The GoPro style of cameras are really the easiest to use in capturing RC action. Yo really need something you can mount on your person so you can follow the action. What exactly do you have in mind? Are you looking for something handheld like a camcorder?

I highly recommend the yi 4k action camera. You can use it with all the gopro accessories, it fills in 4k 30fps and up to 720 240fps,even had a pure slomo mode so you don't even have to do any post processing.
Oh, and it only cost $100!

I tried the akaso EK7000 as my first action cam. It did ok, but after a few months, it got out of focus. Taking it apart and adjusting the focus only helped until you bumped it, then it would be out again. I got a second one, but that one corrupted all the files.

So, I gave up and got a gopro hero5. Was on the fence with it or the 6 at the time, but the 6 used the h265 codec vs h264. I wasn't sure I could edit that, so I went with the 5. Ended up paying for software anyway as with 1080 @120fps, it was too much to edit with the windows movie make free software. Ended up buying CyberLink PowerDirector 16. It down converts all the video, then you edit it using the downcoverted version and when you output the file at the end, it uses the original source. It also worked well to do PIP videos with onboard from a hero5 session I bought later. Although, the hero5 session maxes out at 60fps at 1080p. So the slow mo isn't as nice as the normal hero5 @120fps.

There is no camera that gets shots like a gopro does for cheap. Anything that is new these days cost big money. The gopro 6 and 7 are a step up in gopro's finally. I would get a 7 black the hyper smooth is great. Only 400. The sony a6500 is great but starts at 1200 for just the body no lens. Maybe search the used market for a good canon dslr setup, but that is not wearable and is bulky.

Forgive my complete lack of editing skills and the long evening shadows, just wanted to share some footage I took tonight on my Yi 4k so anybody interested can see how the slomo filming is

Thanks for the replies guy's ! I looked at the Hero 7 but didn't like that you can't remove the battery. Checked out the Yi 4K.... Very nice and in my price range, but it's not water proof ( I seen the w/p case offered) I'm still doing research as I over think everything I buy. I want to be able to use it for hunting and fishing also. Reviews on all brands have been good/bad.... I'll pull the trigger on something soon Imagine .... Thx again!

Thanks for the replies guy's ! I looked at the Hero 7 but didn't like that you can't remove the battery. Checked out the Yi 4K.... Very nice and in my price range, but it's not water proof ( I seen the w/p case offered) I'm still doing research as I over think everything I buy. I want to be able to use it for hunting and fishing also. Reviews on all brands have been good/bad.... I'll pull the trigger on something soon Imagine .... Thx again!

Yes you can remove the battery. I have a few extras and a dual charger.

Does anyone use something like this to hold the GoPro or do you use the head or body straps?

Attachments

• C2D96931-E5CD-4E2B-B1D2-303423C440DF.jpeg
    C2D96931-E5CD-4E2B-B1D2-303423C440DF.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 66
Does anyone use something like this to hold the GoPro or do you use the head or body straps?

Head mount all the way for me. I'm always watching my truck. I keep my controller held fairly close to my body and not always pointed at the truck. I'd use the chest mount before I'd use a transmitter mount.

I tried attaching my phone to a compact tripod mount, then put than on a small gorillapod that I wrapped around the bottom of the Tactic TTX300. Video qaulity was good but it was definitely hit and miss, would take me a bit of time to get used to pointing the controller in the right direction/at the correct angle. Will be much easier with a chest/head mount.

I hang mine around my neck on a lanyard in the OEM gopro frame. I drilled a hole in the lock piece so I could make little legs for it. The legs rest against my chest, just below my... nipples... this took a turn. lol!

Anyway, with it hanging from my neck, I had to get accustomed to turning my body like batman vs just my head or eyes as I bash. Now I don't even think about it. I have the lanyard connected to the pivot base that would normally go into a mount. So, I can use that pivot to angle the camera up/down/straight depending on if I'm at the skate park bashing down in a bowl or if I'm hitting big air vs just driving around on level ground.
2018-0713-GoProLanyard-01.jpg

The camera is upside down, but I have the auto-rotate on so it records right side up. I also have the gopro remote velcro'd to my transmitter so I can control it and see the light blinking which reminds me if it's recording or not.

I rigged a windshield suction cup mount to the top of my radio. Still using my phone, but it could hold anything. Mounted right, you could still see your screen so you know where your shooting. Not perfect because your hands don't follow your head, but really cheap at a local discount hardware store.
20190323_001637.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back