Limitless What’s a good motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xlx2 2028 combo.
Lets Go GIF by The Fast Saga

How fast you want to go? XLX2 is the benchmark but I went with a Mamba Monster X 8S to bash 100mph gearing safely without breaking the bank.

Sensored 1515 motor for low-speed control.

A 4076 sized motor will go 100+ all day with good batteries and a MMX8S. This was a mid-bash flyby last night, dual 3S 6AH CNHL G+ series Lipos. Infraction body so I’m sure the limitless can do better even being open wheel aerodynamics.

IMG_0427.jpeg

If all you want is 100 mph you could save some $$$ with the MMX8s esc, but the XLX2 is waaay better.
Almost any 40mm motor will get you over 100 mph.
I had gone 120+ with the Arrma 6s RTR motor and the MMX8s esc. Something like that would be a good budget setup if you change the connectors to handle the load.

If by chance you think you likely will get sucked into new goals after you hit 100mph then go for the XLX2.
A key factor that will have someone try speed runs and then exit that side of the hobby is access to really great roads.... (Arkansas has pretty good roads in my opinion)

What makes a great road:
1. Long and flat/smooth
2. Little to no traffic
3. Wide (shoulders)
4. No reflectors or rumble strips
5. No radio interference

The best starting setup is the XLX2 and TP4070cm in my opinion.
(buy a motor with an 8mm shaft so you can swap gears between the spur or pinion)
Arrma motor mounts use M4 mounting screws, some motors come with M3 mounting screw holes.

With the XLX2 and TP4070cm I have taken a 1/7 scale car to:
2s - 114 mph
3s - 135 mph
4s - 146 mph

(all of those have a few more mph in them)

What people do not realize is the extra costs that will come when you want to go fast.
For the Limitless you are talking about:
$40 - harder springs (perfect pass are 1 good option)
$70 - GRP tires (much better than hoons)
$120+ - Center dog bones like perfect pass or scorched (stock center bones will bend and vibrations can cause issues. I like the carbon perfect pass dog bones)
$70 - SkyRC GNSS GPS device
$80-250 - Budget radio capable of 1200+ ft range (The RadioLink RC6GS V2 is the best budget long-range radio that does not need a signal booster)
$100-300 - Mod 1 gears at $20 each (Saga gears are best)
$200-800 - High-end LiPos that can handle 400+ amps. At a minimum, I would go with CNHL G+ 70c lipos 5k or 6k mAh .
Other options would be SMC SRD Series or Onyx if you want top-tier lipos.

Some good threads to check out. See what other people are running and do the same...
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-2s-speed-run-challenge.59508/
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-3s-speed-run-challenge.52860/
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-4s-speed-run-challenge.55194/

Last edited:
Thanks you guys have helped me out a lot. I’ll make my final decision later but you’ve helped me understand what I’m looking for. It will probably take me longer than I think because I make money in my head faster than in real life 😀

Last edited:
If all you want is 100 mph you could save some $$$ with the MMX8s esc, but the XLX2 is waaay better.
Almost any 40mm motor will get you over 100 mph.
I had gone 120+ with the Arrma 6s RTR motor and the MMX8s esc. Something like that would be a good budget setup if you change the connectors to handle the load.

If by chance you think you likely will get sucked into new goals after you hit 100mph then go for the XLX2.
A key factor that will have someone try speed runs and then exit that side of the hobby is access to really great roads.... (Arkansas has pretty good roads in my opinion)

What makes a great road:
1. Long and flat/smooth
2. Little to no traffic
3. Wide (shoulders)
4. No reflectors or rumble strips
5. No radio interference

The best starting setup is the XLX2 and TP4070cm in my opinion.
(buy a motor with an 8mm shaft so you can swap gears between the spur or pinion)
Arrma motor mounts use M4 mounting screws, some motors come with M3 mounting screw holes.

With the XLX2 and TP4070cm I have taken a 1/7 scale car to:
2s - 114 mph
3s - 135 mph
4s - 146 mph

(all of those have a few more mph in them)

What people do not realize is the extra costs that will come when you want to go fast.
For the Limitless you are talking about:
$40 - harder springs (perfect pass are 1 good option)
$70 - GRP tires (much better than hoons)
$120+ - Center dog bones like perfect pass or scorched (stock center bones will bend and vibrations can cause issues. I like the carbon perfect pass dog bones)
$70 - SkyRC GNSS GPS device
$80-250 - Budget radio capable of 1200+ ft range (The RadioLink RC6GS V2 is the best budget long-range radio that does not need a signal booster)
$100-300 - Mod 1 gears at $20 each (Saga gears are best)
$200-800 - High-end LiPos that can handle 400+ amps. At a minimum, I would go with CNHL G+ 70c lipos 5k or 6k mAh .
Other options would be SMC SRD Series or Onyx if you want top-tier lipos.

Some good threads to check out. See what other people are running and do the same...
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-2s-speed-run-challenge.59508/
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-3s-speed-run-challenge.52860/
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-4s-speed-run-challenge.55194/

What KV 4070 do you like?

What KV 4070 do you like?
It is best to pick the KV based on the voltage you want to run.
I think 2200 kv is a great choice for 8s for example..... and 2600 for 6s.

That KV choice is fully for speed running needs. If it were a bahser then I would say 1200kv for 8s and 1600 for 6s.

Thanks you guys have helped me out a lot. I’ll make my final decision later but you’ve helped me understand what I’m looking for. It will probably take me longer than I think because I make money in my head faster than in real life 😀
Don't we all? :ROFLMAO:

Go follow KT, he's also into 3 foot long Speed Runners. He's even an honorary ROSSA member.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back