Limitless What’s a good motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If all you want is 100 mph you could save some $$$ with the MMX8s esc, but the XLX2 is waaay better.
Almost any 40mm motor will get you over 100 mph.
I had gone 120+ with the Arrma 6s RTR motor and the MMX8s esc. Something like that would be a good budget setup if you change the connectors to handle the load.

If by chance you think you likely will get sucked into new goals after you hit 100mph then go for the XLX2.
A key factor that will have someone try speed runs and then exit that side of the hobby is access to really great roads.... (Arkansas has pretty good roads in my opinion)

What makes a great road:
1. Long and flat/smooth
2. Little to no traffic
3. Wide (shoulders)
4. No reflectors or rumble strips
5. No radio interference

The best starting setup is the XLX2 and TP4070cm in my opinion.
(buy a motor with an 8mm shaft so you can swap gears between the spur or pinion)
Arrma motor mounts use M4 mounting screws, some motors come with M3 mounting screw holes.

With the XLX2 and TP4070cm I have taken a 1/7 scale car to:
2s - 114 mph
3s - 135 mph
4s - 146 mph

(all of those have a few more mph in them)

What people do not realize is the extra costs that will come when you want to go fast.
For the Limitless you are talking about:
$40 - harder springs (perfect pass are 1 good option)
$70 - GRP tires (much better than hoons)
$120+ - Center dog bones like perfect pass or scorched (stock center bones will bend and vibrations can cause issues. I like the carbon perfect pass dog bones)
$70 - SkyRC GNSS GPS device
$80-250 - Budget radio capable of 1200+ ft range (The RadioLink RC6GS V2 is the best budget long-range radio that does not need a signal booster)
$100-300 - Mod 1 gears at $20 each (Saga gears are best)
$200-800 - High-end LiPos that can handle 400+ amps. At a minimum, I would go with CNHL G+ 70c lipos 5k or 6k mAh .
Other options would be SMC SRD Series or Onyx if you want top-tier lipos.

Some good threads to check out. See what other people are running and do the same...
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-2s-speed-run-challenge.59508/
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-3s-speed-run-challenge.52860/
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-forum-4s-speed-run-challenge.55194/

I will double down on the road. I've eaten a few reflectors (AKA Road Turtles) at speed. It doesn't end well for the reflector, but you can bet you car will take the worst of it.

As he said cost adds up quickly. Pretty soon your like, yeah whatever, put it on the card and you have no idea you're into this car for $2K. If your goal is 100 mph, you don't need the whole kit.... But eventually you'll be telling yourself you want to go faster. So keep an open mind and an open wallet.

Also if you are a bit experimental, you sink a bit of time into these things too. I've torn it down completely and reconfigured my Limitless at least 3 times. Custom parts and trying new stuff all take time. I don't know how many hours/days it is, but you could spend a week in the garage for 2 mins of fun, then tear it down again.

So you can get 140 without using 8s? Or am I exposing my ignorance
Correct with strong lipos and the motor / ESC setup I mentioned.

Biggest piece of advice is to shoot for 60 then 80 then 100 and get the car sorted at each step before progressing faster. You can't just go out and drive 150 mph

Biggest piece of advice is to shoot for 60 then 80 then 100 and get the car sorted at each step before progressing faster. You can't just go out and drive 150 mph

Technically you could just pin it, but it aint coming back. This is solid advice.

Start slow, dial back the speed so you cannot go that fast. You can run 4S and detune the ESC through the SW interface. This is available on Castle ESCs, not sure about HW? The throttle Dual-Rate is similar, but it effects your braking as well. However, it's something you can adjust in the field.

My first runs were horrible for a lot of reasons, some of that technical a lot of it driver. Just do shake down runs, keep it straight, sort it out and recover the car in one piece. Keep an eye on motor temps! Once you dial it in, give it a bit more power. Then move to 8S and do the same.

Take your time, find your limits.

Do you know what happens on 8s 😬
There are tons of people who start out on 8s and struggle to run 120.
Mostly because of bad driving and also wrong gearing.

There is a steep learning curve and tons of fear when sending you $2,000 toy down the road at high speeds.
You have to know and accept that crashes happen to all of us. Things go wrong, parts fail.... Speed running will break your heart, but its fun!

Do you know what happens on 8s 😬

If you're not careful your wallet might explode.
tenor.gif

Seriously though, it can be dangerous or even deadly. You're sending a 15 lb car down the road at 120mph. Which is about the same as twenty 9mm rounds and you need have control of it.

It's enticing to go hard, but safety is paramount.

Best advice, Baby steps. If you try and overshoot this, I garranty Carnage will result often . And you better get a decent radio with Much Range. The first thing to consider IMHO. An inexpensive $80. Radiolink RC6GS is all you really need. Along with a Radiolink R7FG Dually antenna Receiver. Then you should be golden.

The Speed bug will always pull you in. No matter what speeds you are at. Once you get close or over triple digits, You are all in. No turning back. But like stated above, Long smooth, place to run is always the limiting factor for many of us.

I’ve found a couple that might work and a private runway I could maybe get access to. I decided I would find a place to drive before I spend all my money

My road is only 1600' long with reflectors, but it's flat and there is no parking allowed which makes a full width road on each side. It's also pretty deserted on the weekends too. It's not ideal and limits my speed a bit, but being deserted is a big deal around here. The last thing I want to do is hurt someone or damage property.

My road is only 1600' long with reflectors, but it's flat and there is no parking allowed which makes a full width road on each side. It's also pretty deserted on the weekends too. It's not ideal and limits my speed a bit, but being deserted is a big deal around here. The last thing I want to do is hurt someone or damage property.
I don’t blame you for not wanting to damage property. 😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back